PDA

View Full Version : breathing question??

breathing question??

osmbr
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
im not new to snakes at all, but i accuired a 7-8 year old male okeetee corn and i got him when he was in shed i left hime alone for a lil bit then when i went to move him he let out alot of air(mouth open) i called the breeder and she said that its probably from the shed covering his nostrils and she had snakes do that before. so i waited didnt touch him till he shed i went to hold him and he lets out air through his mouth (my other 6 snakes do not do this) so i put him back in the cage and sat there and listened in the 30 mins i sat there he did this 3-4 times. its like he holds his breathe for a while then releases it through his mouth. there is no mucus, mouth does not open all the way just a lil enough to let the air out. im thinking he might have had an r/i before i went and got him(he was free). but he ate and isnt really showing any other signs other than he has wierd breathing. idk have any of you encountered this i dont want to take him back to the breeder. she already said i could but i wanted some more opinions on whether or not it sounds ike an ri he has a uth and lamp(lamp to keep up the abient more becuase of this breathing) and he is on aspen snake bedding( all my snakes are) and he has 2 hides typical cold/hot. thanks alot kind of alot but i really need some opinions

thanks in advance

Johan13
03-10-2011, 12:07 AM
sounds like an RI to me, but youd have to take her to a vet to be sure.

osmbr
03-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Yeahh that's what I'm thinking

Naagas
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
It sounds like an RI.
A vet visit is going to cost you, so you will want to decide how much money you want to spend on the snake vs. taking it back to the breeder.
I picked up 3 snakes with RIs for $100 and it cost me $130 to take them to the vet. I'm glad I took them, but they didn't end up being a very good deal price-wise.