PDA

View Full Version : rats or fuzzies f/t

rats or fuzzies f/t

rsarj70
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
just recently got a corn yesterday. he was born in aug. breeder has a record of eating baby rats, 7-10 days but i was reading around that baby rats were too fattening? should i continue with the baby rats since there is consistency there at least according to the records, or switch to a fuzzy perhaps? Max,(that's his name) has not eaten since 3/2 and i still plan on waiting another couple of days to let him acclimate, but what are some suggestions...baby rats or something else....thanks

jon31072000
03-14-2011, 10:56 PM
First off, let me say congradulations on your new addition. They are tons of fun and very rewarding. As far as your question, I would honestly try to get him to take a fuzzy over a rat. If he goes a long time without eating it, like a few days or even a week past feed date, then I would give in and give him a rat. I would only use that as a last resort. Corns are usually good feeders, so Ill bet with his switch in lifestyle, he will take a fuzzy too and might as well get him on the best food you can from the start, rather then trying to switch later on. Just my opinion and what I would do. I wish you tons of luck and again, congrats on the new family member. Jon

wilomn
03-15-2011, 01:14 AM
I feed mine rat pinks and up and have never had a problem. Multiple generations. When they're hatchlings I do feed mouse pinks and fuzzies but switch to rats when they're big enough.

rsarj70
03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks for the advice. we are all real excited to have this little guy in the house. i think i am going to get a few fuzzies to start and keep one baby rat just in case. i have had him for three days now and am considering a feed tomorrow or thurs....would that be okay?

Nanci
03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd give him a week, especially if you are considering a diet change! And I would make the fuzzy nice and hot!!

Rats are a nice food, but they are quite a bit more expensive than mice. I feel like they are also somewhat addictive and it can be hard to get a snake to switch back to mice if you feed rats more than a couple times. Still, they are very, very good for breaking a feeding strike.

ShenziSixaxis
03-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Fat = energy.

For a growing snake, I would figure rats do a lot better, as a rat the same size as a mouse (size, not weight) is going to be heavier and also give more energy. That said, rats do not need to be fed as often, and I noticed both my corns firm up and have a growth spurt when I started them on rats.

But go ahead and feed him whatever works for you.