PDA

View Full Version : Double Adult Mice?

Double Adult Mice?

TheJadeReptile
03-15-2011, 04:08 PM
So I recently got my new Adult Female Corn, Nessy. She is on adult mice. The girl I got her from said "Well I would have put her on double adult mice, but I wasn't the one paying for them." And I have fed her twice and she barely has any bump at all. On the second feeding, I had an extra pinkie left and I gave it to her, which she ate it quickly.

So my questions are:
Is it okay to move her up to two adult mice?
How would I go about giving her two?

taxman123
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Some of my bigger snakes eat 4 mice in a feeding feed her the first one and after she is done and the mouse down her body put the other in there she should have no problem eating it as long as she doesnt start looking fat like a ball python. i think you should be fine.

TheJadeReptile
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Okay, thank you. I will just get her out more and exercise her more.

Naagas
03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I have never heard of feeding multiple adult mice.
I feed all my adults, even my monster 4.5" guy 1 adult mouse once a week.

Some of my adults I've had to move to 1 mouse every two weeks because they are starting to look pudgy.

Four mice in a sitting? If I did that, I'd have some seriously overweight snakes.

bitsy
03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
One adult mouse per feeding is fine for an adult Corn. I sometimes feed two at a time to females recovering from laying, but only until they're back to pre-laying condition.

Four mice in a sitting?? No Corn I've ever seen could (or should) eat four adult mice in a sitting. Pics of *those* monster beasts please!!

taxman123
03-15-2011, 05:59 PM
He is about 12 years old and is my old man I feed him four adult mice cause he used to eat a medium rat with no problem now that I am switching to raising mice cause of all the smaller snakes i have I feed him at 4 mice every 10 days. I let him out in my office and he roams around so he dont just sit under his hide all day/ I want him to enjoy his old days.

bitsy
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Wowsa - he's a tubby alright.

Old, though?? My 22 year old gets one mouse a fortnight. *That's* old!

Naagas
03-16-2011, 02:51 AM
22 years old? Wow! That is getting up there.

SquamishSerpents
03-16-2011, 03:48 AM
some of my corns will eat small African Soft Fur rats (i'm not sure about how many grams that equals to, but i would assume it's a little bigger than a jumbo mouse)

but to me, 4 adult mice seems like WAY too much! it seems unnecessary. keep in mind that 4 adult mice takes up WAY more room in the snakes stomach than a weanling rat, or a SINGLE prey item of the same gram-weight. you need to think about length, as well. i don't think corns need much more food than at MAX 2 jumbo mice in a sitting. mind you, i know there are some monstrous corns out there.

mjdglobal
03-16-2011, 04:16 AM
I could probably get my snake to eat 5 adult mice. But WHY would anyone want to do it?

SnakeAround
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Bitsy, I'm curious if your snake is allowed to go back in his viv when he is on the loose in your office. I hope you don't make him stay out of it, unless your office provides warm spots for him. I'm not even sure if roaming around an office will make your snake happier then when staying in his viv all the time, but I can't say it won't too of course. I'm also not sure if the roaming around is a sign he likes to be let out in the office or just that he is anxious to find a comfy and safe place to hide.

hippiebrian
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Back to the original post, I feed Lana, who I believe is around 2 or 3 years old, two small mice every 8 or 9 days. The mice are about 3/4 her diameter, and I read in Kathy Love's book that it may be better to feed two smaller meals than one large one. It seems to work, but I'll watch in the months to come to make sure she doesn't become too "American" (i.e. fat!).

Johan13
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Back to the original post, I feed Lana, who I believe is around 2 or 3 years old, two small mice every 8 or 9 days. The mice are about 3/4 her diameter, and I read in Kathy Love's book that it may be better to feed two smaller meals than one large one. It seems to work, but I'll watch in the months to come to make sure she doesn't become too "American" (i.e. fat!).

My young ball python eats two full grown mice (going to buy some small rats next petstore trip) a sitting. I have not seen many corns as large as her yet. I think two might be doable but 4? wow

airenlow
03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
My adults get 1 large mouse every 14-21 days. They maintain a healthy weight in the 400-500 gram range.

Christen
03-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Bitsy, I'm curious if your snake is allowed to go back in his viv when he is on the loose in your office. I hope you don't make him stay out of it, unless your office provides warm spots for him. I'm not even sure if roaming around an office will make your snake happier then when staying in his viv all the time, but I can't say it won't too of course. I'm also not sure if the roaming around is a sign he likes to be let out in the office or just that he is anxious to find a comfy and safe place to hide.

*whisper* Bitsy is not the one that lets her snake roam the office. :laugh:

SnakeAround
03-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Oopsy daisy, then I address the person who does now :) I was a bit surprised it was bitsy indeed... should have read better, but it was late y'know ;p

bitsy
03-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks Christen! No, mine definitely do not "roam around" anywhere! That's a quick way to end up with a missing Corn (unless it's fed so much that it can't fit into small spaces any more... :) ).

taxman123
03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I thank you for all your concern and comments. When I say roam I dont leave him unsupervised I watch and make sure he dont go underneath anything or get stuck he seems to like checking things out and I guess until the snakes can talk none of us will know what exactly makes a snake happy so to each its own. I provide all my snakes with proper hides, heating,water and food. I spot clean there tanks everyday and change there bedding when needed. All of my animals are like family and if I had more room at my house (and wife would approve) I would have many more animals. The snakes are at my office cause 1 turned into 2 and 2 turned into 15 ran out of room and brought them here. I do Taxes so my busy season is Jan to April then after that i have all the time for the snakes. Also to Cassandra I apologize for turning your post into this back and forth rant. Once again thank you to all for your concern.

bksbuddha
03-18-2011, 01:09 AM
My biggest & oldest (still rather young) baby eats 1 mouse 1x week & seems to do well on that. At times, :laugh: she seems like she's just eating it to make me happy. The second oldest would love nothing more than to get 4 of those buggers I'm sure, but much to her dismay there's only 1. While I'm sure that all of them are individuals, just like us (:eek: you should see how much my littlest human can pack away & stay scrawny), I would think that 4 mice would be a bit too much & would catch up w/them eventually...especially an adult. I've given younger ones 2 mice on occasion w/out any problems.
:) Kinda weird to think about, but I wonder if Snakes can have thyroid problems. Dogs & cats sometimes do.

bksbuddha
03-18-2011, 01:15 AM
:awcrap: Dang, forgot that I couldn't edit the post & forgot what I was saying. Maybe see if you can get some bigger mice? I have adult mice & some are noticeably bigger than others.
:idea: Or you could just see how well she does on the one mouse...weigh her to see that she's maintaining her weight. If she starts to lose any, you could give her another & monitor her weight again. That's what I would do.

ratsncorns
03-18-2011, 08:03 AM
My adults eat one adult (just regular adult, not jumbo) every two weeks. I had one girl I recently sold who had a tendency to gain weight because she was probably the most inactive corn snake on the planet. She ate every 3 weeks. And was still big at 600g. Ideally, I try and keep my corns around 500g. Ive had snakes since 2005 and Ive never fed more than one adult mouse in a sitting. I think the largest mouse I have fed was 34g.

To the OP, I would recommend getting a scale to monitor your snakes weight. I would also think that one adult mouse every 10-14 days should be sufficient enough.

TheJadeReptile
03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay, cool thanks! I have been trying to get a scale that measures in 0.1 grams. Haven't looked at wal-mart every time I go I forget to look.

Crimson.Dawn
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
i have a girl hats 54" and 610g, I usually like about 10g and inch for my breeding females. She eats a jumbo once a week because adults go through her like water... shes happy o the jumbos. But this is a breeding female and I'd rather have he be a little heavier then lighter with he fact that she laid about 50 eggs last year. She double clutched without being reintroduced to the male.

But if an adult is to small i would feed he a jumbo, just feed her every ten days instead of every seven so she doesn't get heafty on ya.