PDA

View Full Version : Advice and prayers needed

Advice and prayers needed

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Hello, everyone I'm new to the forums.

The night before last we had a serious emergency with our hatchling corn snake, Cthulhu. Cthulhu was hatched late June/ early July of '10 so you have an idea of his age. My boyfriend and I are new to snakes but are trying very hard to do everything right.

About two weeks ago he managed to slip out of a small area where the mesh of his tank's lid had pulled away. We had somehow missed it. We immediately tore the house apart, blocked all under-door cracks, fixed the tank lid, and generally freaked out. We put out heating pads, a water dishes, and every 2 days a fresh F/T pinkie for a couple hours.

The night before last around 11 pm we heard our rat, Fink making a lot of noise in the bottom of his large wire cage. We checked on him and to our horror our tiny snake and nearly grown rat were fighting. I still do not know how he got in there, as we securely taped 2 1/2 feet of cardboard the whole way are the bottom of the cage specifically to prevent this.
We quickly pulled Cthulhu out and placed him on a heating pad. I thought he was going to die right then. He had two large gouges in his side where I could see his meat. He was bleeding from the left side of his head and his left eye was fixed downward. His head stayed tilted to the left as if he'd suffered a stroke. His mouth had blood in it. He was striking at the air repeatedly and gasping, clearly terrified. I held him and dabbed the blood away and tried to keep him warm.

Fighting back tears, I began calling every emergency animal hospital, 24 hour vet clinic or anywhere I could think of within 60 miles of me. Everyone said about the same thing, they don't know of anyone open so late who can help with a snake emergency and they wouldn't know how to help. A few tried, giving me number after number of places they thought might help. I stayed up until about 3am calling.
During this time our baby, though still grievously injured, had started to perk up and was slithering a bit but always on the left side of his head. His eye was no longer looking down though.

Finally I spoke to a vet's wife who advised me to put him somewhere safe, warm, and dark with a small shallow water dish and bring him to see a vet who specializes (her husband) first thing in the morning.

To our relief our baby made it through the night and the vet really seemed to know what he was doing. He told us the biggest 2 concerns are infection and possible brain damage. The rat had bitten the top of his head and inside his mouth at once, which is why he is tilted left-ward. He told us there is no way to tell how extensive the damage is, we'll just have to wait and see if he recovers. He likened it to being attacked by a grizzly bear, saying he's doing great to just still be alive, but not in good shape in the least.

He may just have suffered a concussion rather than permanent brain damage, the bite looks very minor, but it may be worse. He said if he is brain damaged, he may actually slowly recover from it, especially being young- but he may not. He also said after a few sheds ( we may have to peel the shed a bit around the scar tissue at first), his other wounds should almost totally disappear with little scarring since it was just the skin damaged.

The vet ordered us to use Gentamicin drops on his wounds 2x a day, followed by a tiny dab of neosporin on the open part ONLY to help prevent fluid loss. He warned not to get it on the healthy skin, as the oils can soften it. We also have to give him injections of Baytril daily for 10 days and 1 of Cefoxitin every 3 days for 12 days and return to see him once the injections are finished. He also said not to feed him for 10 days. We are keeping him in a large tupperware storage bin until he heals, with paper towels for substrate, which we change 2x day (probably once a day after the first week) and we use a 10/1 bleach solution to clean everything every 1- 2 days. He has a heat pad under one side and paper bowls for hides, which we change with the substrate.

So far he is still very tilted but he does move on his own. He doesn't move a lot, though he never was a very active snake. He lets us tend to his cuts fairly easily. It's clear he is capable (not too weak to fight us) of resisting more, he just doesn't (maybe the drops feel good?)

I am emotionally a wreck about all this. Though I realize we tried hard to prevent any harm to him and we took him to a vet immediately, (I know many who wouldn't have bothered or wouldn't spend the money) I feel SO GUILTY.
I am absolutely dreading having to stick a needle in him later for his first home injection. (he flinched when the vet showed me how with the 1st doses) The vet assured us we could give him the injections safely at home and showed us how. He said if we REALLY wanted we could bring him in daily for his injections but I don't want to put him through any extra stress being transported and I have worked as a medical assistant so do know how to give injections (on people at least).
Every time I look at him I fear he's dead. I know we are trying to save his life, but I worry he'll die anyway and we just tortured him with needles for his last days. Also I feel so bad seeing him lay his head sideways all the time. I'm so afraid he'll never get better. I'm unsure whether he can see on his left side, I plan to ask the vet on follow-up. I just don't know if it IS permanent whether he'll be able to live a happy, healthy life? Even if he is permanently a special-needs snake we will still love him the same and keep him for his entire life (hopefully long), I just hope he'll be happy.

I wanted to ask for everyone's advice, is there anything we could possibly do/ give him that may help with nerve/ tissue/ possible brain damage?
Has anyone had a snake with a head injury react like this and recover?
Is there ANYTHING else we can be doing?
And for that matter if you can even just wish Cthulhu luck or pray for him if you pray.

And please, we do not want to just "put him down" in case he DOES pull through. If that IS you're best advice please give a very good reason why and try not to be harsh about it.

Thank you all so much and sorry about writing a whole novel but I am just so distraught about all this, and want it clear everything we have and are doing to make any advice more thorough.

Thanks again,
Nicole

SquamishSerpents
03-16-2011, 02:47 AM
wow, you and your little baby have been through A LOT! i think you pretty much did all you can, and i commend you for so actively seeking a vet! like you said, so many others would not have done what you did. escapes happen, when you have done everything in your power to prevent it and it still happens, it is heartbreaking, especially something like that.

i'm not sure there's anything i can say that will make you feel better, but do know that i'm thinking of you and your baby, hoping it pulls through!!

Naagas
03-16-2011, 02:50 AM
I just wanted to offer my condolences.
It is lucky that you found him alive... the last time I found an escapee, she was already dead. Even so, it is terrible that he suffered such a horrific injury!!

I have seen snakes that have survived horrific injuries, so I wouldn't give up on him yet!
Please keep us updated on his condition.
He will be in my prayers.

Airidies
03-16-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to your baby! I don't know of anything that will help but I wanted to let you know we'll be thinking about you and hoping for recovery!

Nanci
03-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't think you're wrong to give him time to see if he recovers. I hope he makes it! Poor little guy.

toxiclight
03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Prayers are with your little guy hoping he recovers :)

I haven't had snakes long, and none with that kind of injury, so I really have no advice to give. But you have my best wishes :)

atmox
03-16-2011, 08:03 AM
I hope he gets better!
I think i do have advice, what i understand from your post you said you covered only the bottom of the rat cage with cardboard, snakes are excellent climbers and hatchlings fit through the smallest gaps. So he could've get in through the corners or just climbed over the cardboard. And the reason why he did this is obvious i think, rats are tasty to snakes, he only didn't expect one to be that big.

Anyway good luck and keep us updated!

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much everyone, it really does make me feel better.

Well giving him last night's injection wasn't quite as bad as I had worried. He still flinched but more or less put up with it and when we put him back he chugged his water for about a minute straight, the first I've seen him drink since getting hurt. For a moment I was scared he might be trying to drown himself, he had his head totally under water so long ... maybe the injections really are that bad but once he'd had his fill he came back up :) After he seemed a bit more active too.

It made me feel a lot better and more like he's really going to make it.

I thought it could be my imagination last night, but this morning when we put drops on his injuries he definitely was less kinked to the left. He stayed wrapped around my boyfriend hand after for quite some time after the drops too, like he wanted to be held. So maybe he won't hate us for all this after all :)

I'll keep everyone posted.

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I think i do have advice, what i understand from your post you said you covered only the bottom of the rat cage with cardboard, snakes are excellent climbers and hatchlings fit through the smallest gaps. So he could've get in through the corners or just climbed over the cardboard. And the reason why he did this is obvious i think, rats are tasty to snakes, he only didn't expect one to be that big.

We wrapped it the whole way around the bottom, folding it partway at the corners and duct-taping the edges so it made a square the whole way around the bottom 2 1/2 feet. I checked and there are no gaps. I agree he must've found a way to climb it. It's also possible he pressed his nose into the carpet and squeezed under it, we tried to make it as tight to the floor as possible but that's not too easy.

Yea, the vet said he "got a bit to ambitious" going after the rat. Poor lil guy.

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
http://http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1231/cthulhuie.th.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/cthulhuie.jpg/)

http://http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7046/cthulhu2r.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/cthulhu2r.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

starsevol
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I feel bad for EVERYONE involved!! I hope your little guy makes it, you are really going above and beyond for him!!

One thing that also makes me feel really sad is poor little Fink.
Rats are social animals and really NEED a same sex buddy to live a happy healthy life. They are intelligent creatures and can suffer from boredom and even suffer mental illness from being alone all the time. Occaisionally it is hard to introduce male rats, that's why 2 baby males should be purchased at the same time.

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7046/cthulhu2r.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/cthulhu2r.jpg/)

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3280/cthulhu.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/cthulhu.jpg/)

Nanci
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think he'll hate you. I had a snake that needed extensive handling and treatment due to a retained spectacle, and he was puppy dog tame by the time that was over and done with!

Karoni
03-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this. I prayed for your little snake baby. Please keep us updated!

ColeSlaw
03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I feel bad for EVERYONE involved!! I hope your little guy makes it, you are really going above and beyond for him!!

One thing that also makes me feel really sad is poor little Fink.
Rats are social animals and really NEED a same sex buddy to live a happy healthy life. They are intelligent creatures and can suffer from boredom and even suffer mental illness from being alone all the time. Occaisionally it is hard to introduce male rats, that's why 2 baby males should be purchased at the same time.

I completely agree.
We are actually getting him a friend today, but a young female. We are having Fink fixed on the 21st due to a few slight hormonal problems on recommendation by a rat rescue who's been helping us. We'll keep them separated until it's safe but let them meet each other while on our laps (to prevent any hanky panky) Until then we just have been and will be handling him a LOT to give him the interaction he needs. He's still under 3 months also, so very young.

Fink was actually originally purchased by a friend to be food for his ball python, but when the python didn't eat him he brought the baby to us. He was only maybe 2 weeks old and didn't even have his eyes open. We didn't really have anything for a rat, not even a proper cage. We bottle fed him goats milk, and gave him baby food, and soft foods for the first weeks. We even had to rub his tummy so he could eliminate!

We took so long to get him a friend because we had planned to raise him till he's old enough then give him up for adoption through the rat rescue but we grew way too attached to him. We have since converted a huge cage we got from the humane society thrift store into a mansion large enough for 5 rats for him with hammocks and toys galore (so he'd be much happier than in the 10 gallon he started in) He is much happier now and the sweetest rat I've ever met. His personality is awesome.

starsevol
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I completely agree.
We are actually getting him a friend today, but a young female. We are having Fink fixed on the 21st due to a few slight hormonal problems on recommendation by a rat rescue who's been helping us. We'll keep them separated until it's safe but let them meet each other while on our laps (to prevent any hanky panky) Until then we just have been and will be handling him a LOT to give him the interaction he needs. He's still under 3 months also, so very young.

Fink was actually originally purchased by a friend to be food for his ball python, but when the python didn't eat him he brought the baby to us. He was only maybe 2 weeks old and didn't even have his eyes open. We didn't really have anything for a rat, not even a proper cage. We bottle fed him goats milk, and gave him baby food, and soft foods for the first weeks. We even had to rub his tummy so he could eliminate!

We took so long to get him a friend because we had planned to raise him till he's old enough then give him up for adoption through the rat rescue but we grew way too attached to him. We have since converted a huge cage we got from the humane society thrift store into a mansion large enough for 5 rats for him with hammocks and toys galore (so he'd be much happier than in the 10 gallon he started in) He is much happier now and the sweetest rat I've ever met. His personality is awesome.

I am so sorry if I came off as snarky and horrible. It is obvious to me that you care deeply about your pets, you are taking such good care of your injured snake! It's just that so many people don't really know about rats. Many assume that rats are solitary like hamsters.
Fink will LOVE his "girlfriend"!!

Ares2010
03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear your little guy is injured. I will pray that he recovers quickly. And kudos to you for doing all you could and can to help him

Iulia
03-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm new to snakes so have no advice, just sorry what a nightmare.

Hope it works out OK

OkeeteeMom
03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh that's so sad and yet, amazing that you found him...alive! Good thoughts going out to you all.

insomniac101
03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
What a horrible ordeal the little guy has been through! Your little rattie is probably traumatized too!

You obviously care about your animals, and you're doing all that is humanly possible to help him. I sure hope he makes it!

Kathy

hippiebrian
03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
My thoughts are with you and the poor little guy. One thing to remember, though, is he has a better chance of pulling through than a mammal would, as reptiles regenerate and heal amazingly well. I think you're doing the right thing, and I applaud your sense of responsibility for your animals!

Like everyone else has said, don't be real hard on yourself, escapes happen! I had a Cal. king get away once, and it wound up in my roomate's eans pocket. You should have heard him scream when he put the jeans on and reached in to find a snake in his pocket! Luckily he was fine and I was able to patch the hole he escaped from...and luckily I'm bigger than my roomate was...lol.

Again, my thoughts are with you and I hope everything comes out O.K.

Johan13
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Wow what a story. I really hope your corn pulls through. I am also very impressed that you are able to love rodents while owning snakes. I dont think I could do that.

If I had Fink, after his little assult, I would have him meet a snake his own size :P In other words, he would be ball food :eatpointe

ColeSlaw
03-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Wow what a story. I really hope your corn pulls through. I am also very impressed that you are able to love rodents while owning snakes. I dont think I could do that.

If I had Fink, after his little assult, I would have him meet a snake his own size :P In other words, he would be ball food :eatpointe

LOL Well I've had rats as pets a few times throughout my life, this is our first time having a snake ( I love having snakes now:) )

I couldn't do that, Fink WAS supposed to be ball food originally.

I can't blame either one, Cthulhu smelled food and tried to "bite off more than he could chew" and Fink was just defending his home from an enemy.

Johan13
03-17-2011, 01:34 AM
LOL Well I've had rats as pets a few times throughout my life, this is our first time having a snake ( I love having snakes now:) )

I couldn't do that, Fink WAS supposed to be ball food originally.

I can't blame either one, Cthulhu smelled food and tried to "bite off more than he could chew" and Fink was just defending his home from an enemy.

True true :D

ColeSlaw
03-17-2011, 01:42 AM
I am so sorry if I came off as snarky and horrible. It is obvious to me that you care deeply about your pets, you are taking such good care of your injured snake! It's just that so many people don't really know about rats. Many assume that rats are solitary like hamsters.
Fink will LOVE his "girlfriend"!!

Oh not at all. I wasn't offended in the least. You brought up a great point, I wouldn't want to give any impression that we care for Fink any less. I agree that that IS a common assumption. We went to adopt a friend for him today and wound up with 2 young females. So he'll be little pimp soon (once he can't made lil pimps)

BTW Cthulhu took his injection just fine again with just a bit of flinching (hey I'd flinch too that's a BIG needle compared to him) and he is looking good. Every day he looks less kinked and a little more active. I'm so happy.