PDA

View Full Version : What is this?? (Warning: Gross Pictures)

What is this?? (Warning: Gross Pictures)

Karoni
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi all. A few times, Firefly has left a present in her viv that isn't poop. At least, it doesn't look like poop. This time, I took pictures. It always happens several days after she has eaten and around the same time or right before she poops. It's creamy in consistency and in color. Being of a scientific turn of mind, I actually smelled it to see if it smelled like regurge. It doesn't really smell. Help! Does anyone know what this is? Thanks for any replies.

Here are the gross pictures:

medusacoils
03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Looks like poop. :shrugs:

Wayne

Karoni
03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Okay. I am thrown off because there's no brown stuff.

oneirogenesis
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Two of my snakes leave off-white poop sometimes with very little brown material. They also both poop more than the other snakes and are the only ones that musk.

I think the test is to put the poop in a glass of water and stir it around. If it breaks apart, it's definitely poop.

Karoni
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I think the test is to put the poop in a glass of water and stir it around. If it breaks apart, it's definitely poop.

Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it.

The girly part of me says eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! ;)

kaypar2011
03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
My 2011 male Mystery Anery's poop looks like this also. The first time I was worried too. He does this about 4 days after eating a fuzzie.

Jdog3131
03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
IMO it almost looks like the fur and or skin of the mouse.

Susan
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I've occasionally seen poops like that. I think they are incompletely digested meals, possibly caused by temps that were a tad too low one day as I see it more often in the winter. Since the temps here in the winter can be in the 40's for a couple of days, then jump into the 70's the next couple of days, I have difficulty keeping temps constant. They stay close, but I know it gets a little too low or too high at times and there really isn't much I can do about it. I would rather see poops like those than regurges, which unfortunately happens to at least a couple of snakes during the winter as a result of getting too cold soon after eating.

Karoni
03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks, guys. Susan, I'm concerned about this since her temps are normally perfect (although they do fluctuate; I don't have a herpstat) and she's always on the warm side. I'm not sure there's anything else I can do. She's growing like a weed, so I guess she's fine.

Nanci
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
What size mice is she eating? I have a snake that was eating fuzzy mice when I got him. I thought he regurged after shipping when I found a poo similar to your snake's. It was pinkish gray, greasy, didn't smell like regurge, but didn't really smell like poo, either. So he'd have normal poops, weird poops, more weird poops. He got a complete fecal work-up, including PCR tests to look for anything and everything. He's clean. Meanwhile, he was getting sort of picky about eating his fuzzies. So I tried him on a same-sized pinky rat. He loved that, and I kept feeding him pinky rats. No more weird poops- not one! I wonder if it's related to a reduced ability to digest hair.

Karoni
03-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Interesting, Nanci. She's eating fuzzies. She doesn't have any problem with eating them, behavior-wise. This weird poop shows up every once in a while. I've had her since early November and I'd say this has been showing up in the last three months. I'll be curious to see if it goes away when winter ends, like Susan noted.

Susan
03-19-2011, 06:21 AM
It would be easy to check to see if she is having a little difficulty digesting the hair. Switch her to either rat pinks or multiple large pinkies for awhile and see if the bad poops go away. You may also want to add a probiotic, just for giggles. It wouldn't hurt and might help.

rich333
03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Interesting pic. Looks like undigested food item. Now...if you'll induldge me for a moment....can anyone explain this poo??? remember..she's been bred 4 times now...last time was wednsday night......Prepare yourself..it ain't pretty! I found this around noon today..returning from work....temps are good...last poo was normal..

rich333
03-19-2011, 05:52 PM
might i add that,also being scientifically oriented, i took a tooth pick and more or less rooted through the poo...no visible worms.. a little more pungent than normal.

WingedSweetheart
03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Interesting pic. Looks like undigested food item. Now...if you'll induldge me for a moment....can anyone explain this poo??? remember..she's been bred 4 times now...last time was wednsday night......Prepare yourself..it ain't pretty! I found this around noon today..returning from work....temps are good...last poo was normal..

That looks like my Sylvara's poo after I moved her up to hoppers (they are nearly the size of weanlings!). Her poo is huge now like that and smells horrible! I miss the baby poo...

Nanci
03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Don't make me have to play the Poo Song again!!

rich333
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
LOL the poo song??? Ok..im not sure...but i think im glad i missed it. But,since i'm feeling a bit left out....could you sing a bit for me?? please..... :)

Nanci
03-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Everything comes down to poo...

rich333
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...funny...i always thought everything turns into poo....

rich333
03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
The gelatnous blobs perked my interest i guess.......

Susan
03-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Just a weird thought, since she has recently been bred 4 times, and it all goes in and out the same place, might that be some of his "manliness" that has been mixed with poop?

rich333
03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Honestly,

I thought the same thing initally. and posted the photo in hopes that someone else who has bred corns for a while might seen this at one point or another. She's got good weight,temps are fine, and no change in general attitude. oh, and she LOVES to eat!! :) so i think you could be right.

Nanci
03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Just a weird thought, since she has recently been bred 4 times, and it all goes in and out the same place, might that be some of his "manliness" that has been mixed with poop?

Now that's disgusting! And it takes a lot to gross me out!!!

rich333
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
LOL....

ok...now THATS funny!! :)

BloodyBaroness
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I need to not eat breakfast and read threads. I knew the first pic was not so bad, but man Rich, you really swung for the fence with yours. :cry:

My corns seem to go through poo phases. Whenever I change prey size, we get some nasty goop and also after breeding I've seen some nasty goop. I much prefer the neat "logs" my BP's produce, over the more bird like corn poo.

rich333
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I need to not eat breakfast and read threads. I knew the first pic was not so bad, but man Rich, you really swung for the fence with yours. :cry:

My corns seem to go through poo phases. Whenever I change prey size, we get some nasty goop and also after breeding I've seen some nasty goop. I much prefer the neat "logs" my BP's produce, over the more bird like corn poo.

LOL...Ummm...sorry??

yeah Swung for the fence...connected...and apparently, hit it out of the ball field. hopefully i didnt cause any regurdges with that pic. I also "prefer" the logs of the b.p. (i have 1 female normal BP.) So...yesterday was feeding day..she flat refused to eat....So i'm thinking one of those 4 matings took....Just waiting on the shed now....Also..when i lift her (Gently) Right above the vent area...there is a slight bulge...and she's really starting to look...well...Full...so..yeah...perhaps i did hit a homer!! :)

rich333
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Ever wonder why i named him "HOLMES" (Clearing throat)......just sayin.....