PDA

View Full Version : Could this have caused her to regurge?

Could this have caused her to regurge?

dan803
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
My baby regurged for the first time with me. Her belly checkers were faded when I fed her so I guess she was in blue. Didn't think anything of it since she has eaten before in blue with no problems.

Is it safe to assume that it was because she was in shed and she'll probably be fine? Regurgitation is really scary to me. Thanks.

dan803
03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Really? Nobody knows...?

MysticExotics
03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes, they can regurge if they eat while in shed. Have you increased the size of mouse at all? Are the temps in the right range?

dan803
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
I actually went down to 1 pink instead of 2. I don't think she's big enough for 2 but she didn't have a problem when she ate them. I was trying to avoid a regurge by doing so. Temps should be okay, they have a hot spot I keep in the lower 90's. Other than being in shed nothing changed much.

cornsnakeforsale_com
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Sometimes it just happens.

Nanci
03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I have observed a definite relationship between feeding while blue and regurges. I think your safest bet is to feed a meal half the size she regurged, in 8-10 days or after she sheds, whichever is longer, and then gradually increase the prey size. I would not feed that snake in blue again.

Nanci
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
PS. Regurges are really scary to me, too. I would obtain Nutribac and use it on all her meals for many months. Kathy Love sells it, and it is available at other places, too. Kathy's website is http://www.cornutopia.com You just powder the pink with it. I would also feed her pinks cut in half or thirds so they are easier to digest, if she will accept multiple items.

dan803
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I've tried cutting pinks in half and it's very messy. I have a bag of pinks, some are really small. I'll just wait until she sheds and give her a small pink. I hope it's just a one time thing. I'm terrified of that crypto parasite.

smallet
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Cut them in half with a razor blade while they are still frozen....way less messy.

BigByrd47119
03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Cut them in half with a razor blade while they are still frozen....way less messy.

Great idea! I wondered while browsing through this forum how it is that one may reasonably go about cutting any mouse/rat in half.

Thanks for the input!

Dreamsnake
03-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Regurges are scary for me as well. My oldest one has had 4. She's pulled through each time, but I'll still cry when I see the next one. I'm going to move her up to rat pinks instead of double pinks and I give her vitamin powder every other feeding. Some snakes just have problems with digestion.

I'm really hoping your corn was just in blue and overfull.

Susan
03-23-2011, 07:00 AM
I actually went down to 1 pink instead of 2. I don't think she's big enough for 2 but she didn't have a problem when she ate them. I was trying to avoid a regurge by doing so. Temps should be okay, they have a hot spot I keep in the lower 90's. Other than being in shed nothing changed much.

This scares me. Temps that high will kill.

ratsncorns
03-23-2011, 07:03 AM
I agree with Susan, you need to drop the hot spot by about 10 degrees. Low to mid 80's should be the hot side temps.

hippiebrian
03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
This scares me. Temps that high will kill.

Kathy Love's book reccomends a hot spot in the low 90's, so I would bet it's O.K.

medusacoils
03-23-2011, 09:58 AM
90F MAX with a cool side in the 70s. Anything warmer than that is pushing it. Have a warm side that is too warm, could cause regurges. Feeding in the blue can cause them too. I would suggest you wait 24-36 hours post shed to feed. Waiting to feed after they shed will not hurt them. They can go the extra days without issue.

Wayne

dan803
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
When I say lower 90's I mean 90 degrees. I am keeping ball pythons on the same rack and need to keep the heat tape at a temp that's good for both of them. Kathy Love's book does say lower 90's for the hot spot. And that's just the reading on the heat tape, not in the tub, so it's actually probably about 89 inside.