PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this happen!

anyone have this happen!

rsarj70
03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I went to feed my 6 month old corn last night. He fed successfully last thursday. I put the fuzzy in the deli cup he came in, which worked last time, but this time 'max' would not go in the cup. he wriggled frantically and ultimately musked me i think. there was a awful odor. he was real jittery and unable to calm himself. i put him in a larger sterilite box with the fuzzy and he wanted nothing to do with it. I just wanted to share and see if an action like this is normal or if i perhaps did something wrong. i pawned it off as an unsuccessful feeding and will wait to try a few more days. thanks

whippet
03-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Its that time of year..spring fever. Don't let it worry you and just offer another mouse next Thursday.

rsarj70
03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
thanks for the advice.....

Kronos
03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I doubt it's the time of the year that caused him to refuse his meal. 6 month-olds will feed year round, and usually as much as you will offer them. I would guess that he got scared while you were trying to put him in the deli cup, so that by the time you put him in the larger feeding bin, he was too worked up to eat. I would bet that he would eat a day or two later.

whippet
03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I doubt it's the time of the year that caused him to refuse his meal. 6 month-olds will feed year round, and usually as much as you will offer them. I would guess that he got scared while you were trying to put him in the deli cup, so that by the time you put him in the larger feeding bin, he was too worked up to eat. I would bet that he would eat a day or two later.

I have certainly had 6 month olds who reacted to spring...so that is not completely true. But yes, moving him from one feeding tub to another can also do it.

Dorgrim
03-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I think the suggestion to move him up to a bigger cup is a good idea :) i know the babies i raised are nuts! everytime! and i have to make sure i wash my hands with the same soap every time before they learn to calm down and treat me in a relaxed manner. remember! snakes are still wild animals! they arnt domesticated like dogs/cats/horses even, and sometimes just go a bit nuts sometimes :P

rsarj70
03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
although i am limited in experience with corns...very limited as this is my first. I have had wild-caught snakes from the ages of 6 to 18. i don't remember any of them being quite as skittish as this corn. I see the craze about them though. They are awesome snakes and seemingly good-natured. I am going to try and feed in the morning and will hit petco or petsmart and buy a slightly larger feeding bin so as not to stress him out as much.

ShenziSixaxis
03-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Instead of paying way more than you should for a Kritter Cage I think you're going to get, why not head to Walmart and buy a 20qt bin for 4 bucks? :p

Dorgrim
03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
yeah dont get a clear bin, i have a few and i find trouble feeders and stressed snakes feed better in the opaque bins :)

rsarj70
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am not afraid to save some money, so sounds like a trip to Walmart instead. I will look for opaque or not clear. That makes sense. Thanks

kaypar2011
03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, I had that happen the last time I fed my August 2010 baby Anery. He refused to eat when I put him in the cup and just went bezerk wanting out. I put him back in his viv which is a 10 gallon tank and waited 10 days. Today I made another 10 gallon tank, that I already had, into a feeding tank. Covered the bottom with paper towel, put two fuzzies in and he devoured them. I used the feeding tank for my adult Miami Phase female today also and she ate well in it too. I bought a 10 gallon critter tank cover at Walmart for $7.50 for added security while they are in this feeding tank. It worked great and locks. I covered the tank with a navy blue towel so they had some privacy. Just wanted to share what worked for me. I was very concerned when my baby didn't eat so was very relieved today when he gobbled down 2 fuzzies.