PDA

View Full Version : Will not eat after a shed

Will not eat after a shed

JWhite800
03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
My corn just shed for the first time since i have had him, and he looks to be done with the exception of a piece here and there, and i tried to feed him this evening and he didnt want nothing to do with the pinky. He just shed last night, so is this something i should be concerned about, or just give him time, and also when should i retry the feeding. This is the first issue with feeding that i have had with him, and i have had him for about a month. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tink33
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I would definitely get the rest of the skin off, when it dries it has a wicking effect and will suck the moisture away from your snake, causing dehydration. You can use a damp towel to remove it, but make sure you hold the towel in your hand and let the snake crawl through until it all the skin comes off, DON'T wipe the snake with the towel though, let the snake do the work. This might be why he didn't eat.

As far as re-feeding I would probably just wait until the next feeding to do so as to avoid repeated thawing and freezing of the rodent if your snake isnt willing to eat right away, if you wait rest assured he will be hungry by the the next feeding.

I hope this helps!

Tink

insomniac
03-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to eat because he's trying finish shed?
If so here is how to get any left over skin off... BTW, How much skin is left?

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170

visceralrepulsion
03-31-2011, 06:33 AM
my adult male snake didnt eat for about a week after the first shed i had him for. and usually doesnt eat for about a week afterwards on average. i wouldnt call this normal, however i was told its nothing to be alarmed by. your snake may not have shed its eye caps during its shed either. this can cause a snake to not eat after its apparently done shedding. there are ways to remove this skin over the eyes if its there, but have a trained professional like a vet, or atleast a breeder show you how this is done. ive never had this problem that i know of, so i cant tell you exactly what to look for. hopefully someone can though. good luck. and if you draw the conclusion with help from the forum that there are no eye caps left, come back for helpful tips that may help your snake eat if it doesnt next feeding time.

JWhite800
03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Thank you all for the help, everything is back to normal. Skin is gone and he is eating again!!!

insomniac
03-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you all for the help, everything is back to normal. Skin is gone and he is eating again!!!
Great news! He managed to get it off himself??