PDA

View Full Version : Juvie Too Skinny??

Juvie Too Skinny??

Pal-O-Mine
04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Ever since I got Napalm, I've been looking at my other juvenile corn snake, Wishbone, who is older and wondering if she's a little on the light side weight wise. Yes, I have a gram scale but its not a digital and I don't trust its numbers. The last time I took a snake to my vet, there was a big difference between his digital gram scale and mine. So I'm wondering if you guys can tell from the pics. I'm not asking for judgement. If she's skinny, I'll up her feedings. I want her to be ready to breed when Napalm matures.

Devon

bitsy
04-03-2011, 07:46 AM
She looks absolutely fine to me - all in proportion and not flabby. Might be difficult to tell, as she'll have all of her muscles tensed in the pics above. Do you have any of her more "relaxed" just on the floor perhaps?

However, I don't really think you have anything to worry about.

SnakeAround
04-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Some are just more slender than others. I had a butter female which as a hatchling used all nutrition to get longer, not thicker. Later on she started to pack on thickness. Another hatchling I had, even started to get chubby and developed fat deposits on her 'hips' when was 2 years old, instead of getting longer.

Nanci
04-03-2011, 08:54 AM
It's better to be on the thin and muscular side than the slightly pudgy side, especially for the female! The males from Napalm's line, like Pepper and Ruby, and pretty big corns. In the 600 plus range as four year olds. So he will probably be a big snake. Mom is about 450 grams and wirey and strong!!!

Pal-O-Mine
04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Okay, you guys were right, I'm being paranoid. I put them side by side and Wishbone looks fine. ( I apologize for the lighting on the pics. The tanks are brighter than the living room! )

BTW Napalm couldn't take his eyes off of Wishbone!

Devon

smallet
04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
They both look fine to me. I have one young guy that it would seem no matter how you feed him he stays skinny looking. But he keeps growing and keeps adding wieght so no worries. Cheap fairly accurate scales can be bought at walmart for 10-15 dollars that give digital readouts. She is probably more focused on growing at this time than your male so is staying skinnier.

carnivorouszoo
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah I think they look pretty good too. One thing to keep in mind is that males can breed just fine a little smaller than females, so focus on the female being at least 3 years, 3 feet, and 300 grams to be safe.