This is a pic I took around the first of the year
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/fading

This is as of 6-15-02
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/fading4

Closeup
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/fading5

Iris
06-15-2002, 05:02 PM
Is that like the "calico" morph described in the Manual?
And I think I read on some forum that this happens when the body attacks the pigments. Is that right? Isn't that a bad thing then?

She (he?) is sure pretty though. Do you think she'll lose all the red eventually?

Clint Boyer
06-15-2002, 05:09 PM
This one popped up in a clutch of Reverse Okeetee X Snow that I did last year. I actually sold this snake to a young guy who lost it under a farm house last fall. The people in the house now (I know them too) found it once and released it to go back under the house. It was caught agian and this time they kept it and gave it to me, I think it was in February. It is a very lucky snake, they have lots of barn cats!

I'm not sure what it will do. Some of the red is deepening and some is fading, it seems very sporatic.

nate ellis
06-15-2002, 09:13 PM
I guess he is a lucky snake, I cant believe he was found twice! I'd never sell him he's probably good karma!

CK2434
06-15-2002, 09:21 PM
very lucky nice snake sure didnt grow much

Iris
06-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Well if you look closely (s)he DID grow some and it has only been about a 5 month span..
Yeah, Clint, I hope you don't sell him/her and keep posting pics so we can see the changes!

Gregg
06-16-2002, 10:57 AM
by any stretch of the imagination, but it appears to me that, rather than fading--i.e., going away--the red in this corn snake is actually becoming more apparent and deepening in color. That is to say, the red that was there in the first photo is getting more red, deeper, darker, and more prominent, just the opposite of fading.

Personally--and, again, I'm no expert--it looks like you have one of those Ruby Freckled corns.

Alicia
06-16-2002, 11:09 AM
I would hang on to it just to see how it turns out. Very pretty and interesting. I like it.

:) Alicia

Clint Boyer
06-16-2002, 11:29 AM
I didn't notice anything really different about this snake when I sold it. When it was returned to me I noticed it looked like it had faded, hence the 'faded' name. Since I used that name the first time I posted it I just thought I'd use it for now.

I'm no expert either, I will keep it to see how it developes. It very well may have the same genetic mutation that the Ruby freckled has but that is yet to be proven. One thing I have learned from a few of the BIG breeders is that you can't rush into what appears to be something different with a name. First, it needs to be reproducable, second, it has to be different from other already named mutations. I'm sure there are more reasons not to name it at this point, but I can't think of any.

Simon
06-16-2002, 06:52 PM
No matter what you call it, its a really lucky snake and very pretty too. I'd keep it and see what happens and then maybe you can name your own morph someday.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Gregg
06-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Regardless of a name, that is one heck of a (or heck'a, as the kids say) nice snake you have there. Very interesting. Good luck.