PDA

View Full Version : possible impaction

possible impaction

bryansnake
04-10-2011, 03:40 AM
I've only just got my snake a few days ago. My snake had it's first feeding today, and it took the pinkie right away. Unfortunately, it also took a small about of substrate that got stuck to it near the end. I'm using re-hydrated coconut husks that are sold in a brick format that need to be soaked in water, so the look and texture is very similar to top soil (damp and soft). I'm wondering what the chances are of my new friend becoming impacted, as well as the signs and symptoms I should look out for just in case? And I've read that soaking in mildly warm water will help in the event it does happen, is this true? Please and Thank you to your help.

P.S. I've been reading and I'm thinking that I should change the substrate to aspen chips, or coconut husk (large pieces/bark) like what my cousin has. As well as using a feed plate in tank, as I don't want to disturb it once it's just finished eating.

SnakeAround
04-10-2011, 08:51 AM
The best way to feed is to place it in a separate tub with the food item. Picking it up right after eating gently to place it back in the viv won't harm, trust me :) Swallowing bedding again and again is more of a threat then the handling.

I don't think that a tiny bit of coco husk will impact the snakelet, it's not pointy I assume so it won't damage the intestines either. Should you see a bump develop the next few days but no poo, take it to the vet but I'm pretty sure it can handle it.

Good luck!

bryansnake
04-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks. that makes me feel less nervous now. I'll still be keeping an eye out for sure, but less nervous. Thanks again.

SnakeAround
04-10-2011, 01:32 PM
You're welcome :)

Nanci
04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
The simplest thing is to just feed the snake in a separate container. Everyone says that they've never heard of a snake getting an impaction from eating substrate, but I'm don't want to be the first, when it is so easily avoided. Feeding in a separate container also gives you a chance to scrub the water bowl and remove any poo from the snake's viv without the snake's help! (Clean _after_ you have thawed the prey and removed the snake, and wash your hands THOROUGHLY if you handle poo).

Probably, your snake will be fine.

Naagas
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I use coconut husk about 1/2 the time.
I prefer aspen, it is easier to clean IMO.

I bet your baby will be fine.
Don't try giving him a bath until you've had him for a week or so.

A plate in the tank works. I feed all mine in separate containers. Returning your snake to his viv after eating won't harm him.

bryansnake
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM
thanks for all your advice. Today is the 2nd day since feeding, no poop yet though. I guess it'll happen sometime in the next 2 though. When you guys say aspen, do you need like aspen chips like large(ish) pieces of bark, or do you mean aspen shavings, like what you would use for small animals like mice/hamsters/guinea pigs?

bryansnake
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
good news. she pooped a little. on my hand. lol. I was trying to pop her to see if she's a boy or girl, and from my grip trying to hold on while she's trying to squirm away, I ended up squeezing the poop out of her. and it also looks like she's a girl. I know it sounds like I was trying to do it from the wrong end, but I was doing it the right way, but she was squirming forward, so the grip on my other hand wasn't tight enough to keep her in place, so she squirm forward and popped on me. I deserved it though. this is probably the happiest time I'm going to feel pooped on until I have kids.