PDA

View Full Version : chicken eggs?

chicken eggs?

chaseycat
03-28-2004, 03:01 PM
i know some snakes in the wild eat eggs i have chickens, would i be able to feed a chicken egg to my corn when i get it?

i saw on another thread that it's best to just feed the main food so you don't make the snakes picky but i was just wondering as a treat food??

paulc
03-28-2004, 03:50 PM
A chicken egg would be a bit big for a corn. (I think)

Paul Chase

Skye
03-28-2004, 05:04 PM
in my opinion, snakes don't require "treat foods" - stick to spending your money on the best fed, healthiest raised mice you can buy

Skye

Skye
03-28-2004, 05:10 PM
...as to the egg-eating issue, I am assuming you meant to feed the egg with the contents still in the shell?

There are certain species of snakes that do eat eggs, and in fact, only eat eggs. These snakes are specially adapted for this diet with a mouth is enormously distensible and greatly reduced teeth. A cornsnake is not one of these species, so I would not recommend trying to offer an egg to a cornsnake.

Hope this helps,

Skye

chaseycat
03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
i have to say thank you sooo much for the input like i said in a previou post i don't have my snake yet but im thinking about the aztec or the miami morph!!

i really cant wait!

Skye
03-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I have an aztec - I think they have a very pretty pattern

Skye

Taceas
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Another thing to think about when wanting to feed avian products, would be possible exposure to bacteria or viruses that infect both reptiles and birds. Salmonella is the one that comes to mind right off hand.

But I agree with the others, I wouldn't take the risk on it. Spend your money on the best rodents you can get.

Giving "treats" to snakes invites a whole mess of problems to come along. They're not like dogs or cats who see treats as treats, they see it as food. And once they get hooked on something, it's darn hard to get them back to what they should be eating.

Best of luck to you and your serpentine friend, however. =)

MegF.
03-30-2004, 11:05 PM
It would be cute to see them sit up and beg for the treats though.... :)

Skye
03-31-2004, 12:51 AM
for some reason I can't picture a snake begging for anything!

Skye

MegF.
03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Well, it is a little hard without any little paws.....but they can do the sitting up part...