PDA

View Full Version : Rich, question about "hypo X Love's hypo Okeetee"

Rich, question about "hypo X Love's hypo Okeetee"

Serpwidgets
06-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Assuming they are independent traits, eventually someone will be hatching something that is homozygous for both... should be fun if they play well together. :)

IIRC your first hatch of those was '99 or '00, so some of the males should be 'of age' this year. I was wondering if you've crossed any of these offspring with any hypos. (Either A or B)

I'm curious because I have a male hypo and a female that I think might be from one of those "A X B" clutches. I'm going to try them next year and see what happens. :)

Rich Z
06-16-2002, 03:01 AM
I believe the only animals I bred this year with the Sunkist line (easier to write than 'B' Hypomelanistic!), are two pairs of Okeetees het for Sunkist. Now since one of the parents for each of these animals is het for type 'A' Hypomelanism, there is a possibility that those 29 eggs might possibly throw a double homozygous animal. Of course, I might not know it simply by looking at it. Also, any Hypo looking animals are going to be unproven as to which line of Hypo they really are. Unless they are unusual looking, I really don't want to keep them, but I don't have a clue as to what I should call them to sell them off.

I think next year I'll be breeding animals that were the result of Sunkist bred to 'A' Hypomelanism. That was in the year 2000 that I bred the Sunkist male I have to three female 'A' Hypos, to produce the double hets for both forms of Hypo. Hmm. I THINK I kept some of those back............

1999 was the year that I used the supposedly Hypo Okeetee male to breed to several Okeetees het Hypo and just thought my luck couldn't be THAT rotten, so something else was up with that male. I should have gotten at LEAST one Hypo Okeetee from all of those eggs! And yes, most of those animals were sold off as regular Okeetees as I certainly had no proof we were dealing with a new Hypo gene, and I wasn't about to hold onto all of them just on an outside suspicion.

BTW, If you still have the ID number that was on the deli cup from the one you think is possibly a mixture of the two Hypo genes, send me that number and I'll tell you what the parentage is. No sense keeping you in the dark about it.