PDA

View Full Version : not eating!!

not eating!!

orchid.666
04-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,

I`ve had my corn snake for ten years and he`s around 11yrs old and he`s never had any problems until the last couple of weeks. He hasn`t been eating his food for the past four weeks now. He`ll acknowledge it and look at it but that`s about it. He doesn`t show any intention of eating it and when I dangle it in front of him he even gets scared and jolts away and avoids it. When I leave it there he just ignores it and blood doesn`t stimulate him either. I haven`t tried giving him a live mouse (like a pinky size) yet but I plan on getting one this weekend because I`m getting desperate. Online people have been saying that it`s common for male corn snakes to stop eating for months around Spring time, but I feel like something is wrong with him... If someone could help me out that`d be great...

He has also had digestion problems recently, not pooing, so I have to bath him every couple of days because otherwise he won`t do it himself.

MysticExotics
04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
It is common for male snakes to go off food during breeding season.
At 11yrs old, I would recommend you have a vet take a look at him. He could be sick. Snakes (male & female) will often go off food when they're not feeling well.
Especially if he has had digestion problems. The first thing that comes to mind is possibly impacted.

Please keep up posted. Based on what you have stated, I think he needs to see a vet.

BigByrd47119
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Just to clarify, he has never had a spring time hunger strike before?

From what I read I would agree with the above poster, a vet visit may be needed to check for more serious issues. Even if your corn has never exhibited spring hunger strikes, its not impossible that this could be such. The fecal issue is what raises concerns with me.

Is he still pooing with assistance?

mfillcom
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm having a similar problem. We believe my 2 year old corn is a girl. Not 100 percent sure though. The last time she ate was 4 weeks ago on sunday. I just took her to the vet on Monday and he said everything looks good... could it be a seasonal thing? She's always been so good for me and this is the first time she's not interested in food.

She just shed her skin last night, and I know that they dont eat when they shed, but not for 4 weeks.

MysticExotics
04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm having a similar problem. We believe my 2 year old corn is a girl. Not 100 percent sure though. The last time she ate was 4 weeks ago on sunday. I just took her to the vet on Monday and he said everything looks good... could it be a seasonal thing? She's always been so good for me and this is the first time she's not interested in food.

She just shed her skin last night, and I know that they dont eat when they shed, but not for 4 weeks.

It could be a seasonal thing, but with the age of his snake (11yrs old) & the problems with not pooping, I think his snake probably needs to see a vet. JMO :)

Bartholomew
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I too have been having this problem, and this thread just saved me from posting another thread, but I too have a question. (Hope you dont feel i'm taking this thread :) )
But, my question is, when should I start feeding the snake again?, since its in all this breeding phase thing, should I wait another month? or maybe just try feeding him untill he actually eats?

MysticExotics
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
You can try every 5 days. It helps if you have a backup snake to feed, in case the one refuses. I sometimes wait to feed my kingsnake until everyone has taken their food, because he will gladly take the food (except when he's in shed).

Iguanagirl8662
04-13-2011, 01:31 AM
I would also take him to the vet since he is older and has never had this issue before.

bitsy
04-13-2011, 03:02 AM
I feel like something is wrong with him
With an 11 year old, I'd trust your gut - you know him well enough to understand that this isn't a standard bit of annual behaviour. In your place, I'd be heading for the vet.

Let us know how it goes.

calicornia
04-13-2011, 04:38 PM
hey all ... i'm so glad to have found this thread i was just about to post the same problem myself ...... we have added a californian corn snake to our growing reptile addiction :-) we've had her for 4 weeks, she shed three weeks ago, she ate the next day and she hasnt been interested since. we have been trying her but she will have a look and sniff then passes by!! she is active and bright and is drinking water .... going to try her again in a couple of days....can this seasonal thing affect females aswell as males???

Wylie
04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow, dang... so a lot of us are having this problem... yep, me too, and I was gonna post but of course I took a look first to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Zeke will be 2 years old in June and this is the first time he has EVER refused meals, he has not eaten since March 8th. I'm going to assume it's because he is coming of breeding age and he's doing what a lot of other male corn snakes do during the spring. I have another corn snake, he's going on 4 years old and he's never done that. I guess they are all different. But it's frustrating, that's for sure, I've wasted more than one mouse... My older corn snake doesn't eat as often so I can't always give him the mouse that Zeke refuses.

I love having this forum to come to whenever I run into a problem with one of my snakes!!! :)

calicornia
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow, dang... so a lot of us are having this problem... yep, me too, and I was gonna post but of course I took a look first to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Zeke will be 2 years old in June and this is the first time he has EVER refused meals, he has not eaten since March 8th. I'm going to assume it's because he is coming of breeding age and he's doing what a lot of other male corn snakes do during the spring. I have another corn snake, he's going on 4 years old and he's never done that. I guess they are all different. But it's frustrating, that's for sure, I've wasted more than one mouse... My older corn snake doesn't eat as often so I can't always give him the mouse that Zeke refuses.

I love having this forum to come to whenever I run into a problem with one of my snakes!!! :)

your right this is a fab forum im so pleased ive found it ..... we'll all have to keep updating if our snakes have eaten or not :)

bitsy
04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
OK, I think we're getting tangled up with different scenarios:

- An 11 year old male that has never had a breeding fast before, has gone off his food. That's worrying.

- A new arrival that's been with her new owner for a month and hasn't eaten in her new home yet. Probably new arrival blues. Check your temperatures - too hot/cold can affect eating. Also make sure she has enough hides and feels secure in her tank. Check that she was eating for her old owner and that you're offering what she's used to eating. If she's over about a year old, check that she wasn't mated and this isn't a pre-lay fast. If she's 2 years old or over, check that "she" isn't a "he" - in which case this could be a standard breeding fast.

- A two year old male that's refusing food for the first time. My guess is Spring fever setting in, not a worry as long as he's been eating well up until this point and has no other health issues.

Not all non-feeding issues have the same root cause. There can be a range of factors that affect why they do/don't eat.

calicornia
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
ok thanks bitsy, i will be popping to see the reps store were had her from to do some questioning....thanks for you advice :).
all i know is that she is about 4 years old 4ft long lovely, placid, nosey and were smitten ....were just learning at the min tho.....:):o

starsevol
04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
ok thanks bitsy, i will be popping to see the reps store were had her from to do some questioning....thanks for you advice :).
all i know is that she is about 4 years old 4ft long lovely, placid, nosey and were smitten ....were just learning at the min tho.....:):o

Good luck with your new baby!
Just one thing though...cornsnakes do not come from California!!
Their natural range is from southern New Jersey to the Florida Keys.

And now you have me alll curious, I would LOVE to see a few pics of your new kid!
And welcome to this wonderful and addictive hobby!

calicornia
04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Good luck with your new baby!
Just one thing though...cornsnakes do not come from California!!
Their natural range is from southern New Jersey to the Florida Keys.

And now you have me alll curious, I would LOVE to see a few pics of your new kid!
And welcome to this wonderful and addictive hobby!

hi told you i was learnin lol :D i will upload some pics in the morning, the lady i brought her from told me she was that ......haha oh well i aint bothered what kind she is we all love her,
ive all ways been more into lizards but omg ive caught the snake bug :)

bitsy
04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Do you think the seller meant "Carolina" rather than "California"? Sometimes normal coloured Corns are referred to as "Carolina Corns".

calicornia
04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
well all is clear now SHE has started laying her eggs:eek: ....wow thats was a shock today when we got back i'll tell ya!! :) but bonus she's not unwell so got loads of researchin to do on rearing babies :) any advice would be appreciated too :confused:

Tana Rae
04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Hi all; been a while since I've been on here, life's crazy... I thought I would check out this site because of all the excellent information I got when I got my beautiful baby corn. my lady has not been eating for a few weeks which is not normal for her; I have had some concerns and felt it was time to see what others had to say. thanks bunches for the wonderful information. I appreciate it