PDA

View Full Version : Scales coming off?

Scales coming off?

bryansnake
04-17-2011, 12:26 AM
I was just playing with my snake, and I noticed that near the bottom 2/5ths area there looked almost like a piece of plastic wrap stuck to her. So I tried getting a better look while she's squirming, and it looked like it was something stuck to her. I tried pulling, and it sort of crinkles off like plastic, but it there was more too it, like I only saw the edge. I stopped once I saw there was more. It didn't look like scales, and it didn't appear to be pulling on her scales. and it was entirely see through. Was it scales? Should I try and take this off, see if it rubs off in the aspen, or wait however many weeks till her shed? Or even take her to see a vet? (I haven't done it yet as I've only owned her for like 2 weeks now and she seems healthy enough)

OkeeteeMom
04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Sounds like shed...hmmm. How about trying some water...letting her squirm through a wet washcloth and see if it comes off.

bryansnake
04-17-2011, 12:56 AM
I thought about that, but I never noticed any dulling of the scales, and I never saw her eyes turn milky. Though I fed her thursday, and tonight was the first time I've even seen her for more then 5 minutes since. She's been hiding out and digesting.

I'll give the wash cloth a try in the morning. It's late and I probably stressed her enough for now from looking and picking.

bitsy
04-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Good idea. Whatever it is, don't pick or pull at it. If it's part of an older shed stuck to underlying scales, you can pull healthy scales off and leave "bald" spots which risk getting infected.