PDA

View Full Version : Is Isis Fat?

Is Isis Fat?

Isis' Mom
03-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Sorry I posted this in another place (the wrong place). I would really like to know if my baby is fat. I cant seem to find out. The pop bottle in the pic is a 1L. She is 43 inches and will be 2 in august. I really dunno how to tell if she is fat. I feed her once a week (large mice) and she always seems quite hungry when i do feed her. I dont want to feed her more cause I dont want her to be fat cause its not healthy. If anyone has any idea please let me know. You rock!!

Marcel Poots
03-31-2004, 12:39 AM
She is not really fat yet. She is huge though.. But if you continue to feed like this she will develop fat lumps. I would go to one mouse every 14 days.

Skye
03-31-2004, 12:48 AM
I agree that she is on the bigger side. I would also feed her less often. If you can't face leaving a 2 week gap, then try for 10 days between feedings to begin with.

Also do you just give one item at each feeding? If you give more than one, reduce it to one mouse per feeding.

Good Luck, Skye

Taceas
03-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Since she's at that age, could it be possible that she's ovulating? It is the time of year for breeding, and the way her body weight is distributed looks an awful lot like ovulation to me.

Regardless I agree with Marcel and Skye, all of my adults get fed on a once every 14 days regimen.

Pretty snake though, I like the colors. =)

Isis' Mom
03-31-2004, 01:17 AM
thanks guys!! I'm happy she isnt fat yet. I think she will be quite upset about not eating as often. she always seems quite hungry when i feed her. she almost always attacks as soon as she sees the mouse and mmmmmm eats it up. is it bad that she might be ovulating. I'm not even sure that she is a she. do i have to do anything or just do nothing about it and just reduce her food?

Taceas
03-31-2004, 01:25 AM
I think reducing food and handling more often, making him/her actively move more would help. Exercise helps us all. =P

Maybe some of the more experienced "Tail Gender Indentifiers" can tell based on your pictures whether it's male or female.

To me, now that I look at it, kinda looks male-ish to me. But don't hold me to that. =P

Isis' Mom
03-31-2004, 02:49 AM
well the reason i thought she was female was because i was told that if the tail tapers quickly after the vent then its a girl. It would be really nice to know. maybe i'll put some more pics up and see if anyone can tell by looking at pics

Amanda E
03-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, obviously this is just my opinion, but I do believe that your snake is fat.

I'm of the belief that they should look somewhat like you would find out in the wild, a slender, lithe animal.

It's kind of hard to tell since the photos are small, but it looks like the belly is rounded rather than flat. IMO, the belly should be flat, not rounded. In other words, the cross-section of your snake should look like a piece of bread.

None of my snakes have a body that much larger than the tail, even the females.

I would definitely cut the feedings back to one mouse every 14 days. Only if it starts getting mean (striking at you) is it too hungry. I've never experienced this, but my guess is this would only happen if you are starving your snake (i.e. feeding only a couple times a year.)

Ken Harbart
03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Your snake's eagerness to eat isn't necessarily a sign of hunger, as snakes are opportunistic predators by nature.

Acradon
04-05-2004, 08:44 AM
She's big, yes. It' stime to worry when you can see that the scales start pulling apart. I think 1 Mouse every 2 weeks is good. My female would eat every day if I'd let her. They are predators in the end.

Acradon