PDA

View Full Version : morph ? about feeding.

morph ? about feeding.

So Pirate55
03-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Are there certain morphs that are prone to be nonfeeders more than others. We've never had problems with any of our snakes, but we only have 3. I was just wondering b/c i'm definately looking to expand my collection this summer with the arrival of the 2004's.

Taceas
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Its been speculated that corns of bloodred and butter/caramel descent tend to prefer anoles for first meals as hatchlings. And in some cases that's true as they were more recently discovered morphs from wild specimens. However I wouldn't use that solely on a basis to not get one of those morphs at all.

But I think all corns morphs have that tendency to be picky eaters. Last year I hatched my first clutch of 13. Two of them wanted either anoles or flat nothing at all. And I live in Indiana, and we don't have anoles running wild around here. So it's just instinct I guess. If all of the baby snakes in the world were meant to eat pinkies, we'd have no mice ultimately. So it kind of balances things out. Although it's a little more annoying when it's in a captive environment.

Most snakes you buy from breeders online nowadays sell only pinky feeding snakes. If they turn up to be a non-feeder after all of the tricks of feeding have been tried then most will refund your money or replace the animal. I don't think you should have anything to worry about unless you're planning on breeding. And even then, all morphs can jump into the non-feeding category. It's all just part of the game I guess. =)

Hope that helps.