PDA

View Full Version : sizzlin snake?

sizzlin snake?

moonshadow
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
just out of curiosity, does anyone know what temp will burn a corn snake? I'm not asking what temp is good for a corn snake, I'm just asking about the max temp they can handle before they sustain burns.

The reason I ask is that in order for the temp of my substrate to be at 83 (warm end) then my thermostat needs to be set to 105! The probe is directly on the glass over the UTH and I'm worried that if the snake burrows it might get burned. Of course if I lower the temp on the thermostat to 85 then the top of the substrate only gets to 77.

CornCrazy
04-01-2004, 04:50 AM
That will definitely fry your snake if it burrows! You would be better off with the lower temp. Most often, they are going to burrow anyway! Measure the temp of the glass...

dara
04-01-2004, 08:15 AM
I found that the glass above my UTH was getting too hot, so I put a square of that green cage-carpet over it with the edges extending away enough so that the too-hot portion of the glass was totally covered. I then taped it down on all sides with double-sticky tape, with no gapes that the snake could get under. My tank is still heated just fine, and Leonard doesn't even realize it's there (he doesn't burrow on that side anyway) but he's not in danger of getting burned by the glass. Just a recommendation if you're worried.

dara