PDA

View Full Version : Oh Prince what did you do now? *sigh*

Oh Prince what did you do now? *sigh*

rosewood
05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok so a while back when prince was housed in the large viv there was a small gap between the wooden frame of the door and the acrylic sheet that I hadn't noticed. When the ladies were in season I guess he started trying to squeeze though it and did some damage to his nose. It was healing fine but then today he shed and I guess must have scrapped off the scab that was on it and made the thing worse than it was before. GRRRRR! Now its for sure going to scar :(

Anyways I used a wet Q-Tip to get the shavings out of it he got stuck in there, and then dabbed some polysporin on it, which I will continue to do everyday till its healed. I dumped out his shavings, washed out his bin, and put down paper towel. Anything else I should do? I have never really had to do any snake first aid :P

I was thinking about taking him to the vet but I dont think they would do much more than what I am doing now so its kinda pointless.

I tried to snap some pics but they are a bit blurry, lets just say he was NOT a fan of the polysporin :P

whippet
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
yep you did the right thing. I use neosporin but I guess it's the same thing. Just don't use the kind with pain reliever.

rosewood
05-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I had a similar issue with Marmalade but could find not apparent cause for it, the only thing I could think of was that when the lay bin was in there she was pushing up on the rim trying to get into, or out of, it. Hers healed no problem in about a week with one application of polysporin and you cant even tell it was ever there now, not a single mark left behind.

Naagas
05-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I wouldn't bother going to the vet. Just keep the wound clean.
You will want to wash off the neosporin with soap and water every now and then and reapply it to keep the wound from getting funky.

Poor guy! It should go away without leaving a scar if he doesn't keep reinjuring it.

MysticExotics
05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Looks like you have it all figured out :)
I hope the poor guys heals up fast.

BloodyBaroness
05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Poor fella. I bought a little female that had some rubbage marks on her head like that. After keeping the area clean she healed within a few sheds and has little to no scarring.

He should be fine if you keep caring for it the way you have been.

iowa corn
05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
och... poor guy that looks like it would hurt. hope his doing better

Nanci
05-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Ow! Does his head look asymmetrical to you? It looks bulged on his right, but it's probably just the camera angle. If not, I think I would look inside his mouth and make sure the blood vessels up in the roof of his mouth look normal. Abnormal would be swollen- hard to describe, but I think you'd know, because the injured side would look different- more prominent. That would be a sign of damage to his eye or sinus. Just in case!

rosewood
05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Haha its just the pic everything looks normal aside from that hideous red gouge!