PDA

View Full Version : Force-feed baby corn ok?

Force-feed baby corn ok?

TWOLFE90
05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
OK, so I really don't know if it is a common thing, but i have heard of people having to force feed their snakes... well i bought a baby corn about 6 weeks ago now and after only three days the little bugger escaped. 4 WEEKS later i found it and i even have two cats and two ferrets, all of which are notorius for killing my stock of breeder mice from time to time...they like to play/kill little things. So then i couldn't get the little guy to eat... this snake is thinner then the day old pinky i tried to feed it... i was continually worrying so i fed my ball a large mouse and cut off half the tail and force fed it down my snakes throat a little bit. after a little squirming after i left him go he eventually gulped the rest down... Is this a good sign/thing to do to get him started on feed? i couldnt get him to eat any other way and i have been extremely patient.

airenlow
05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Force feeding is the last resort (maybe 2nd to tube feeding) and should probably be avoided if at all possible. I had to force feed a little Anery that refused to eat for me last year. She refused all pinkies (slit, brained, scented, etc.) for 2 months, so I force fed her a mouse tail every 4 days for 2 months. It eventually just clicked in her head and now she eats any f/t mouse offered.

What tricks have you tried and how often are you attempting to feed?

TWOLFE90
05-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Tried all the tricks in the book! Nothing would work. I tried every 3 to 5 days... it was missing for 4 weeks and I don't think it even had its first meal before that. The mouse tail went in smoothly and when I put him back into the viv, he struggled trying to spit it out but the eventually just swallowed it... I was told tube feeding was way worse than tails by many people... saying it could be more harmful to the snake if you don't have enough experience... I will post updates on this thread though..

:sidestep::madeuce:

jessicalb
05-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a hatchling that refused at first, but then leaving him closed in a small, dark space with the pinkie overnight got him over it. I hope you get your little guy to eat! It's so scary when they refuse!

TWOLFE90
05-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey I'm originally from Phoenix! Cool beans lol! yea i tried that more than once and he would just leave it there... I am confident in my plan to get him back on feed...just gonna take it slow

Nanci
05-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Maybe give him a chance with a pinky head next time, and if he doesn't take it, try a tail again?

TWOLFE90
05-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe give him a chance with a pinky head next time, and if he doesn't take it, try a tail again?

should i just try a head normally using tongs?

chris68
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Just try leaving a pinky head overnite, and put him and it in something small, like a deli cup...You can place him and the cup back in his cage on the warm side or (make sure the 'cup is secure) in a warm dark place...

TWOLFE90
05-13-2011, 09:08 PM
hey evryone thanks for the advice, but I am proud to say that after my first force feeding which was some days ago now was a great success...and today pepper ate his first pinky all by himself with little hesitation!!!! (he wouldnt take it out of my hand, but when i dropped it he scooped it right up!

Naagas
05-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

I know I would have been worried with him escaping and then not eating!!
I'm glad he is now eating! Yay!