PDA

View Full Version : Back on the feed bag!!!!!

Back on the feed bag!!!!!

B_ELLIS
05-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Our male snake stopped eating February 5th. He will be two years old this July. I offered him food every ten to fourteen days throughout the winter. Had no interest in eating. This Saturday he was his old self again. Offered him a hopper (all I had, out of adult mice) and he immediately struck as soon as it was in range. Offered him two more with the same results. Boy are we relieved that this fasting phase is over!!!!! Now have frozen adult mice in the freezer. I was told, by members here, to stretch out the feedings during this "non-eating" phase to fourteen days. Prior to that he got his adult mouse every ten days. Should I go back to ten days or stay at fourteen days? All winter long he was super active trying to find a way to get out of the tank, day and night. Doesn't look wasted at all.

Nanci
05-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd go back to every ten days. He's young and growing. And expect the same behaviour next winter. Then you might feel comfortable offering food once a month, so as to not waste so much. He'll probably follow roughly the same schedule.

sarae
05-10-2011, 09:27 AM
My guys all went from December until mid-april without eating. They're all back on their normal 7-day schedule now.

B_ELLIS
05-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. Will go back to the 10 day schedule. You're right. next year I will be ready for the winter fast.

Cheers