PDA

View Full Version : Not eating live mouse over three weeks.

Not eating live mouse over three weeks.

toyrrnut
05-15-2011, 08:55 AM
19 year old corn snake shed 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago put a small white mouse in tank and snake showed no interest and still doesn't. Prior to shed the snake had been eating a live mouse about once every week or two. Mouse hangs out on the hot rock and snake spends a lot of time partially draped over hot rock next to mouse. They look like bosom buddies. Snake appears to be fine with good color, actively roams around and sticks its tongue out, and shows no signs of distress. I am not too concerned yet and in the past he/she once went 3 months without eating. What do corn snakes eat besides mice? Anyone else experience anything like this and what was result? Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

jessicalb
05-15-2011, 09:11 AM
If you continue to leave that mouse in there you are risking it injuring your snake.

It's generally recommended to feed frozen/thawed mice to avoid injury to the snake (and for a bunch of other reasons). A lot of snakes go off their feed once in a while, and in spring especially. Just offer periodically and don't worry about it unless you see other signs of a problem.

ratsncorns
05-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Ditto on the live feeding.

Ive had corn snakes go off food for 3 months or more and only lose a few grams. If your snake is active, I wouldnt worry about it. Three weeks is nothing. I only feed my adults every 2-3 weeks (3 weeks if they are on the large side).

toyrrnut
05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
The snake has been eating live mice for most of its 19 year life. It is my understanding that once they are used to live it is difficult to get them to switch back to dead. It refused to eat dead ones about 14 years ago. This is not a pencil thin little corn snake. It is over 4 feet long and has good girth to it. Although I have seen mice struggle to bite the side of the snake during constriction, none has ever broken the skin of the snake. The snake and current live mouse have been cuddling together for two weeks. However, I am getting tired of feeding the mouse and to be on the safe side will probably freeze it and try it on the snake in about a week or two. How do I humanely kill the mouse? Should I just put it in a baggy and let it freeze to death in freezer?

ratsncorns
05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
It would take hours to die in the freezer, so it is not recommended as its not humane. At least a death by snake is pretty quick. If you dont have access to CO2 gas (as thats the most humane but not many people have access to that), the quickest way is to hold it by the tail and whack it hard on the head on a counter or other hard surface.

Dorgrim
05-16-2011, 10:26 AM
The snake has been eating live mice for most of its 19 year life. It is my understanding that once they are used to live it is difficult to get them to switch back to dead. It refused to eat dead ones about 14 years ago. This is not a pencil thin little corn snake. It is over 4 feet long and has good girth to it. Although I have seen mice struggle to bite the side of the snake during constriction, none has ever broken the skin of the snake. The snake and current live mouse have been cuddling together for two weeks. However, I am getting tired of feeding the mouse and to be on the safe side will probably freeze it and try it on the snake in about a week or two. How do I humanely kill the mouse? Should I just put it in a baggy and let it freeze to death in freezer?

Corn snakes are usually not that difficult to switch. It does take effort and patience though. The toughest snake I had to switch was an asian rat snake and it took almost 4 months! But it was done and they are HARD to switch :)
Patience and effort! Also, a humane way to kill, you can place the mouse's (adults only!) head between your thumb and fore finger, then pulling sternly and quickly back on the tail you break the back and it dies instantly. I had to use that a few times to get my asian rat snake to switch from live to fresh killed to f/t, but it works like a charm!

Or you can keep the mouse as a pet :P sometimes they are just too cute! And are great to keep around for live scenting if needed!

aside from that
-make sure your hot rock is a new SAFE OFF rock. Usually people do not recommend them at all because they get insanely hot! and if fail they get even hotter! Making sure your hot rock is the kind that if fails, it switches off is at least a good way to make sure you wont kill your snake with burns.

-sometimes male snakes go off feeding (and even females when ovulating) for weeks or months. If your snake is 4 ft long and of good age I wouldnt worry, specially at his/her age. He might just be getting old and at that point where hed/shed rather just sleep and relax (even more! hah)

If the snake starts to loose weight then worry, but if the snake isnt showing interest and is maintaining a good weight there usually isnt much to worry about for at least 2 months :P they are super efficient!

Cassie16
05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh my god. I really, really hope the mouse wasn't placed in a baggie and frozen to death. Wish I hadn't read this.

Dreamsnake
06-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I've broken mouse necks for snakes before when switching ball pythons from live feeding. It looks as though your snake is in good health. If you are concerned you can take him to a vet, I think elderly animals should have routine visits (even snakes). The hot rock concerns me as well, most snake owners use controlled under tank heaters now. I have my snakes' all plugged into dimmers switches monitored by digital probes. Good luck with him; I hope my serpents live so long.