PDA

View Full Version : Ari Hasn't Eaten In Over Three Weeks

Ari Hasn't Eaten In Over Three Weeks

SnakeKiss247
05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Ari hasn't eaten in over three weeks... How long can he go before he eats again? He was fed live most of his life and then switched to frozen before I got him. He's eaten FT with no problems for at least three months, up until now. What should I do? Should I try a live mouse or what?
Thanks

Shiari
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Did the temps recently warm up where you are? How old is he?

susang
05-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Has he eaten since you put him in the new viv. Are you sure Ari is a male, either way snakes will go on hunger strike in spring, it could just be that.

SnakeKiss247
05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I have no idea if Ari is a male or female... The people who had him before named him Strawberry and the guy at the pet store said he was a male. No, he hasn't eaten since he was put in his new viv. I wonder if this could be the problem... Here is his viv I made... Maybe I should put him back in his 2o gallon tank.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1192&pictureid=8848

Here is his new viv, maybe it's too big? It's 4ft by 2ft by 18 inches high.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=9003

susang
05-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm just wondering if the temps in the new viv are correct, that would cause Ari not to eat. I would also like to see a pic of ari stretche out, because in one pic a while back ari appeared to have a short tail.

SnakeKiss247
05-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Ari's temp in his viv is 71.4 F. I have seen a female and his tail is long and skinny. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1197&pictureid=8906

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1195&pictureid=8874

I will take some pictures of Ari stretched out tomorrow... I will also weigh him too.

He seems to like his new viv, but then again, it maybe it's too big. He seems to like stretching out in the back once in a while and with him in this viv, he seems to be out and about more at night. I don't know...

Monica out little bp never ate tonight either... she just shed on Thursday. Does she ever look nice since she shed...

I bought two females and one male rat last weekend to use as breeders.... Well, they are the sweetest things and I guess we have some new pets along with breeders. lol Boy, for one being scared of both rats and snakes, things certainly have changed in this house. We named our rats Gus, Maizy and Lilly.

ShenziSixaxis
05-16-2011, 02:35 AM
You can't sex a corn unless you probe it (or pop hatchlings).

If Ari really is a male, he's off feed because he's interested in putting energy towards finding females, not food.

The warm side should be ~85F. Bump part of it up to there.

Nanci
05-16-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't think I'd worry about it. I would offer a mouse every two weeks. He can (and may) go several months. I have both males and females on hunger strikes right now! Mostly young males- two year olds, and females that are ovulating but not bred.

SnakeKiss247
05-16-2011, 06:15 AM
I notice at night he's out crawling around his viv... possibly looking for a female? I will try feeding him every two weeks and see how that goes... How long can I expect this hunger strike to last?

Thanks for the help!

ShenziSixaxis
05-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Until around the end of the summer.

Also, most females have tails like you said Ari has. Male tails are thick and longer so they can hold the pair of sausages, while females are thinner and shorter because they're not full of sperm shooters.

SlytherynHiss
05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Until around the end of the summer.

Also, most females have tails like you said Ari has. Male tails are thick and longer so they can hold the pair of sausages, while females are thinner and shorter because they're not full of sperm shooters.

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love how You word stuff...LOL

Yeah- I wouldn`t worry too much either. We have 2 male Corns (and almost ALL of the male BPs) that go "Off Feed" for months at a time during breeding season. A healthy snake can go about 6 months easily W/O eating. Just watch his weight.