PDA

View Full Version : Where / how do you BUY your f/t mice?

Where / how do you BUY your f/t mice?

Evol_girl
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
So I only have 1 little snakey, therefore no need to breed feeders or really have a huge stock of pinkies. She eats about 2 large-ish pinkies every 5 or 6 days, so while I don't need a TON it makes no sense to only buy 3 or so at a time.

My problem I'm finding is that we really only have large pet shops around my area. There are a few specialty reptile shops around but they are few and far between and a good 45 minutes away. 3 SMALL pinks at petco is $5. That seems RIDICULOUS to me. I've looked online and I could get 100 pinks for $18 or so - but shipping would be around $60. Still cheaper in the long run, but I don't actually think I need 100 pinks since she'll be on fuzzies pretty soon I imagine...

Anyone know of a simple, decent way to get good pinks without paying over -.75 - $1 a piece?!?

jessicalb
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Find other reptile owners in your area and split a big order from an online supplier?

Evol_girl
05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
I could try that... I don't know any off hand that are close enough for that to work but maybe someone will pop up!

Lobovasco
05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
im fortunate enough to have a local mouse and rat breeder that sells from .30 cents to .40 cents per mouse depending on size, live or frozen. very clean, very good looking and healthy mice. her name is deborah 407-257-6414 in Apopka, fl.

thats 100 pinkies for $30. ( 3 pinks for $5 is outrageous!) in labeled freezer bags.

ordering online can get expensive bc of shipping. maybe you can post an ad on your local craiglist.

good luck finding a better supplier!

Lennycorn
05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't remember but there is a thread or post that gives you a rough count of the mices a snake will need into adulthood. I'm guessing here but it could be 25 pinks, 25 fuzzys, 50 hoppers, 50 weans, and a life time of adults and your note that your snake could move up to extra large adults too. With this information you could order a years supply. But you will need to split the order down to smaller "packages" and vacuum seal them.

Maybe look for a Herb society or ask some locals vets or Wildlife Refuge Rehabilitation Center for some leads

Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I see people advertising feeders on Craigslist all the time, here. You might look there, and if you don't see any, post a "wanted" ad in the pet section.

I get mine from Rodent Pro. And twice/year, a reptile expo comes to town, and we'll stock up on frozen rodents from the guy who specializes in them, there.

BigByrd47119
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I get mine from Rodent Pro, but they have a stand at my local reptile show here. I'm not sure if they do that at a lot of reptile shows or not, but its worth a try.