PDA

View Full Version : all these different colours ....

all these different colours ....

nicky
04-01-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone,
with all the talk about different mutations I thought it would be fun to mix an d match and see what would happen. ok what would i get if i matched...

a crimzon corn and a type a anerythristic?
a florecent orange with a lavender?

does anyone have any ideas?

if I don't become a herpetrologist I wanna be a breeder it looks so fun.:) :D :cool: :)

Serpwidgets
04-02-2002, 02:37 AM
There are a lot of combos already out there. The ones you mention would most likely be classed as Ghost = Anery + Hypo, and Opal = Amel + Lavender.

However, nobody knows what makes silverqueen ghosts different from the rest of the ghosts (that I know of anyway) and one theory suggests that these may be the "miami" version of ghost corns, which could be achieved by starting with Crimson X Anery. I think they'd be interesting to see either way.

But I'd probably use Charcoal X Crimson as a starter. ;)

Rich Z
04-02-2002, 03:12 AM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/silver001.jpg

The line the Silver Queens originated from have given me some interesting material to work with. The form of Hypomelanism seems to be very rich compared to the other lines I have. And the Amelanistics for the most part have also had that slight edge to them. All of this is subjective, of course, but many of the cultivars we are going to be applying identifiable labels to are likely to be combinations of subtleties. I don't think there are any cultivars available right now that could NOT be further subdivided into distinct sub-cultivars (if there is such a term). Look at this photo of one of my Silver Queens. There are several in my later generations leaning towards this particular look. Does that warrant yet another name? I could to the same with the Lavenders, Butters, Ambers, Anerythristics, Charcoals, Charcoal Ghosts, etc., etc.

So what is the test of whether a particular *look* in a previously homogenous group of similarly genetic animals warrants a new name to identify it?

I am considering withdrawing the name 'Milk Snake Phase' for the corns I am producing. Not because I don't think they are different looking from what used to be my regular Miami Phase Corns, but because I have been inclined to favor the Milk Snake Phase LOOK in all of my Miami Phase corns over several generations, and I am no longer certain of what a run-of-the-mill Miami Phase corn is anymore. I like the Milk Snake Phase look, so anytime I picked out the keepers from the Miami Phase, they would always look like Milk Snake Phase Corns.

I guess it's just a matter of not knowing what is best to do. On even days I think we should name anything substantially different enough as a separate cultivar, but on odd days I think simple is better. But whom makes these kinds of decisions? The marketplace? If I threw all of my Miami Phase and Milk Snake phae corns together in a barrel, I would have a tough time figuring them out again. But people are willing to pay more for the Milk Snake Phase than the Miami phase just based on the different name applied to them. And don't even get me started on the Fluorescent Orange/Amelanistic Okeetees! I will tell people flat out that there is very little difference in the appearance between the two, and yet the higher priced Fluorescents are always in greater demand.

Aw heck. It's 3 am. Should I delete this as being late night ramblings or just post it and go to bed?

Peter
04-02-2002, 05:43 AM
Boy I hope my silverqueens throw some that look like that!! They diffinately are beautiful snakes Rich. I'm so glad I got a pair. Is it common for them to be stubborn feeders or prefer lizards? My female ate frozen and live but then decided to only take anole scented. My male scared the crap out of me by not eating for a long time until I fed him scented. Boy would he attack it if it was scented! They are both off of scented and eating 2-3 pink rats every 5-6 days now and growing nicely.

Kevin M
04-02-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm all for "keeping it simple" I see no reason to start sub dividing CV's into anything else than what they are just because they look a bit different than what theyre supposed to look like.

And who classify's what a certain CV is supposed to look like in the first place?

-K

Gregg
04-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Hey Rich,

You may want to re-think this,

"If I threw all of my Miami Phase and Milk Snake phase corns together in a barrel, ...."

Throwing snakes into a barrel was tried by that TV show, remember? And look at the complaints they got! :rolleyes:

Gregg (Just kidding)

Serpwidgets
04-03-2002, 12:54 AM
I think it's useful, and I think a lot of the confusion can be avoided if the "root" cultivar name is kept as part of the name. I think it's great that there are names for Sunglows, Candy Canes, Reverse Okeetees, etc. Simply calling them all "Amelanistic" is like Miss Swan describing someone by saying, "he look-a like-a man." ;)

Peter
04-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Who is Miss Swan?

Iris
04-03-2002, 07:24 PM
I guess you don't watch Mad TV. Miss Swan is a character on the show...it's SO funny. It's on Saturday nights at 11? 11:30? I forget..anyway it's on Fox 5.(that's the channel for me here in nanuet, ny)

Peter
04-04-2002, 08:49 AM
I've watched a few times but LONG ago, when it first came out. Plus, my memory is getting spotty in my advancing years.

maegann
05-13-2006, 09:58 PM
he....look...likeaman

MS SWAN ROCKS MY SOCKS

CornCrazy
05-13-2006, 11:48 PM
May I ask...why did you revive a 4 year old thread? It wasn't even for pertinent information.