PDA

View Full Version : Should I be feeding Fuzzies yet?

Should I be feeding Fuzzies yet?

MSDR89
05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I got my snake just over 3 months ago, on February 13th, 2011. Not sure how old she is, but she is about 13-14" long, and roughly an inch wide at her widest. When I got her she was eating one pinkie at a time twice a week, and she moved up to two pinkies at a time pretty quickly, eating every 5 days. Now the two pinkies barely give him a belly bulge. So, I tried feeding him a fuzzie monday night. I picked out a smaller frozen pinkie, and he did get it down and digested it, he was nice enough to go to the bathroom in my hand when I took him out this evening, but it took him MUCH longer to get it down, about 20 minutes as opposed to about 5 minutes or so per pinkie. He had a sinificant belly bulge from his fuzzie. But, he WAS able to handle it, so does that mean he's ready to start eating fuzzies, or should I still hold off a little? Getting frozen pinkies can be a pain around here, which is part of why I want to move him up, the petstores are ALWAYS out of pinkies, and I heard multiple smaller meals aren't as good for them as larger meals?

Dreamsnake
05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
If he took it down alright bumping up to fuzzies is fine. I do have a snake that doesn't digest hair, so watch for regurgitations. Make sure the snake has no belly bulge before you feed him next; he may need longer time to digest now.

Getting a little scale to weigh the snake is advisable.

MSDR89
05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you :) Do you have any suggestions where to get a little scale to weigh him? I can't order online, I have no bank or credit cards or anything like that. Also, I was planning to feed him Saturday, his usual 5 day routine, he already went to the bathroom since I fed him last, should I still wait a little longer even if he already went to the bathroom?

K. Rene
05-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I feed once a week. I move up in food size when I can't see a food bulge after they ate something. I got my kitchen scale from Bed Bath and Beyond, but you can find them at walmart or any other store that sells kitchen appliances, sears, target etc.

MSDR89
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks! This is probably a silly question, but, how do you get them to sit on the scale to get weighed? Because Addie is definitely not gonna sit still for that, she's gonna take a hike, or try to, as soon as I set her down.

OldDetroit
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Most kitchen scales have a feature where you can zero it out with a bowl or something already on it. (I think it's called tare?) It'll take the snake a few seconds longer to climb it's way out and you can read the scale.

MSDR89
05-27-2011, 01:17 AM
LOL thanks, I thought it was prob a silly question :) Maybe I could use the little plastic terrarium I feed him in, that would keep him contained at least.