PDA

View Full Version : Non-feeders question

Non-feeders question

hatchlingsdois
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I've got some non-feeding hatchlings and they are almost 10 weeks old now. How long a corn snake hatchling can survive without eating?

rosewood
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
10 weeks is a long time for a little snake like that not to eat. What have you tried so far?

There is a section in Kathy Loves book that covers feeding those troublesome hatchlings. When I had my first batch of corn hatchlings there were two bad eaters, the only way I could get them to eat was to hold them about an inch down from the base of the head and move the pink back and forth infront of their faces. The first time it took about 15 mins for them both. The second time only 5 mins! The next time one of them took the pink in the tub but the other would only eat if he was out sitting on my leg for about 3 weeks, once he had three meals in a row in the tub he went to a new family :)

bitsy
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
I've had them go on for several months before giving up the ghost. Find some supplements that you can add to water if you want to keep them going - I alternated an all-round vitamin/nutrient one, with a probiotic one.

hatchlingsdois
05-26-2011, 03:39 PM
I´ve tried everything, live pinkies, braining, scenting, washing, teasing in the dark, overnight, powerade bath...

Buzzard
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
How about cooling them down? I know this sounds weird but a few friends have been burmating there non-feeders(milksnakes only so far) for about 3-4 weeks (after trying everything) so far its worked in only a few(but may be worth a try) And you would have to have access to a cooler that you could regulate...Sometimes the little critters just dont make it. Good luck, fingers crossed for ya.

Can't remember who mentioned or what supplement they got injected by a vet to stimulate an appetite but perhaps a google search in that direction might pop something up.

bitsy
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Another odd tip is to pack them into escape-proof tubs, and drive them around for a while. For some reason, this sometimes stimulates them to take food.

Buzzard
05-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Another odd tip is to pack them into escape-proof tubs, and drive them around for a while. For some reason, this sometimes stimulates them to take food.

Never thought about pressure changing, neat idea bitsy. I might try that one if I have some trouble feeders this year...

MysticExotics
05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
How about cooling them down? I know this sounds weird but a few friends have been burmating there non-feeders(milksnakes only so far) for about 3-4 weeks (after trying everything) so far its worked in only a few(but may be worth a try) And you would have to have access to a cooler that you could regulate...Sometimes the little critters just dont make it. Good luck, fingers crossed for ya.

Can't remember who mentioned or what supplement they got injected by a vet to stimulate an appetite but perhaps a google search in that direction might pop something up.
This is a really good idea. I actually brumated some problem feeders & had a pretty good success rate with them coming out of brumation eating. Granted, mine had eaten a few meals, off & on, so a mini cooling would probably be best.

B-12 injections, I think might be what you're referring to. I have heard of vets giving them to snakes with success.

Another appetite stimulant that you could try is NutriBAC. Put it in their water. You will have to change the water daily, so maybe offer smaller water bowls/containers.

I have heard of this being successful as well. Some people have put them in the little deli containers they ship in & set it on the washer or dryer & the motion can be similar to drivign them around to stimulate them eating.

Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

I took in some non feeders/problem feeders last year, & I don't think I will do it this year.

BigByrd47119
05-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Older threads on this forum have suggested the use of Fish Oil. Apparently it works pretty well.

rosewood
05-27-2011, 12:50 AM
A friend of mine has dipped her snakes food items in tuna water with really good success.

bitsy
05-27-2011, 03:44 AM
I've been using the tuna water/oil trick for years. It's not a universal cure, but it usually works for one or two of the hold-outs each year. Definitely worth a try.