PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Cornsnake (Seriously vamped out corn)

Zombie Cornsnake (Seriously vamped out corn)

naruto
06-10-2011, 01:31 AM
So its just like the title says, i have a zombie corn. She was literally dead for a good 30mins and when i went back to check she was alive and moving but very sluggish.

Details--- *PLEASE READ*
I had her for about 2months and only got her to eat ounce, she pooped twice both nice and firm. She seems active on the regular. She drinks a lot we'll at least i catch her drinking a lot. Like when i first brought her home she drunk half the dang water.

So today in NY it hit 100f and its feeding day (we'll the day i always try), so i put her in her feeding bin, i have my ac on so things are a bit chilly, so i put a clamp lamp on her, and then she opened her mouth after me trying to get her to eat it ( i was kinding forcing it in her face constantly and she was just kind of backing away and running) and then just bite the dust...

I flipped her on her back, picked her up and she dangled, no tounge flick or anything, i even opened her mouth and tossed her around a bit and nothing. So i figured what the heck, i should try and get some experince poppin snakes before i get my other baby corns and i popped her but i did it hard being she was dead. Some yellow stuff which i assume was urates came out and i saw she is actually a she.

After that i went to dig a hole so i could burry her and when i came back she was on her stomach (i left her on her back) slithering around, i put her back in the enclosure and she burrowed, i'm really shocked at this man.... Like really she is alive, but HOW? I can assure you she was dead but now alive and her vent is swollen from me trying to pop her. My friend said to put her on news paper, keep it moist and leave her be.I have no money for a herp vet so thats out of the question, no if ands or buts, my mother does not even want me to have the snake in the first place! Oh and i have half of a pink mouse in her cage its f/t....

Can anyone please explain to me what just hapepned here, has that ever happen to anyone? WTH just happended to her?

BigByrd47119
06-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Are you sure you don't have a hognose :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:?!

But seriously, I have no idea, At first I thought this was a joke. We will just have to sit back and wait for the experts...

naruto
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm 100% serious, i have no idea what happen...

airenlow
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I have so many issues with the OP, but I'm just gonna let it go...:nope:

neiman07
06-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Ditto! alot that was said in here bothered me also!:headbang:

naruto
06-10-2011, 01:40 PM

And exactly what is that supposed to mean? Explain yourself, no need for smart little post then running off. Come on lets hear it :)!

naruto
06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
So are you guys going to sit and keep posting nonsense or actually address the problem? What happen to trying to correct others mistakes, your going to keep making jokes and smart little insults or give your input?

Reptilekyle64
06-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm this is strange, I am not sure. while most of way u went about handleding her was incorrect, it would be better if the replyers posted useful information or say nothign at all >.>

neiman07
06-10-2011, 01:50 PM
IM thinking you scared her so bad with the mouse while trying to get her to eat that she fainted, or that maybe she was to warm/cold!
thats what it sounds like i COULD be wrong but that's what i would think, then you proceed to flip her on her back and toss her back and forth! thats not right i dont think that needed to be done at all, if that ever happens again i think you need to put her back in her viv and see what happens give her time...

what have you done with your mouse to try to get her to eat, besides the zombie dance?!

Shiari
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
She drinks a lot we'll at least i catch her drinking a lot. Like when i first brought her home she drunk half the dang water.

This suggests that your temperatures are too high.

So today in NY it hit 100f and its feeding day (we'll the day i always try), so i put her in her feeding bin, i have my ac on so things are a bit chilly, so i put a clamp lamp on her,...

So, temps are too hot, you've got the AC on so you claim temps are now too low (my corns eat outside their bins/tanks at my room temperature even in winter... which is 65 degrees and I doubt that's how cold your house is) And then you stick a lamp close to her that is going to get massively too hot. Temperature shock.

and then she opened her mouth after me trying to get her to eat it ( i was kinding forcing it in her face constantly and she was just kind of backing away and running) and then just bite the dust...

Also known as a fairly sure-fire method to make a hatchling NOT want to eat because you have turned yourself AND the mouse into scary monsters.

... i even opened her mouth and tossed her around a bit and nothing. So i figured what the heck, i should try and get some experince poppin snakes before i get my other baby corns and i popped her but i did it hard being she was dead.

It can take a while to confirm a snake is dead. Tossing a snake around is liable to damage it. Popping 'hard' doesn't give you experience popping. You need to learn the correct pressure so you start light and then go more firm until you find the right strength to use. You still don't know how to pop now as applying too much pressure can result in the hemipenes not appearing as you're basically crushing them.

I can assure you she was dead but now alive...

No you can't. You're not a vet and you didn't wait long enough and you probably had her so overheated she was in shock.

...and her vent is swollen from me trying to pop her.

You have injured your snake due to careless actions. Your temps are likely not correct, your methods of 'encouraging' her to feed are only going to further your snake's lack of desire to eat, and now you have damaged her only route for the elimination of bodily waste products.

THESE are the problems we have.

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 01:57 PM
WTH have you done to your poor snake? Well, assuming this is true because it just sounds so off the wall, I will go ahead and type out what I think.

First, don't put her under a lamp.. it's too hot.. corns only need under the belly heat to digest and only up to 85 F at the hottest. The lamp might of been too hot and she overheated. If your room wasn't below 70 then the lamp wasn't necessary. She will be just fine with an under the tank heating pad she can lay over when she needs to digest. Just don't let the pad get over 85 F. It will burn the crap out of her.

I'm at a loss as to why you are "popping" her if you thought she was dead.. You popped her too hard and injured her.

Next, not a good idea to pick her up and toss her around like that.. and lying her on her back.

If she does that again, please take her to a vet that knows about herps.

ceduke
06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Shiari said it better than I could have. Perhaps it's time to look around for a new home for your snake, or do some research on con snake care and temperature regulation.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=Shiari;1319787]
THESE are the problems we have.[/QUOTE

i wish i knew how o multi quote or i would have had a better answer not as good as yours lol :rofl::rofl:
thank you for doing it that way!

Shiari
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM

i wish i knew how o multi quote or i would have had a better answer not as good as yours lol :rofl::rofl:
thank you for doing it that way!

What I did was type quote and /quote in the square brackets around the sections of text I wanted to put as quotes.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
IM thinking you scared her so bad with the mouse while trying to get her to eat that she fainted, or that maybe she was to warm/cold!
thats what it sounds like i COULD be wrong but that's what i would think, then you proceed to flip her on her back and toss her back and forth! thats not right i dont think that needed to be done at all, if that ever happens again i think you need to put her back in her viv and see what happens give her time...

what have you done with your mouse to try to get her to eat, besides the zombie dance?!

I thought shed was dead!!! I flipped her to check, i read if reptiles stay on there backs it means there sick or dead and i tried to see if she was breathing.

I cut the mouse in half, brained it and dipped it in chicken broth.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
OPPS i messed it up.. today is not my day i swear!! SORRY guys

also your getting more baby corns maybe you should start with an older snake so you can learn everything you can babys can be a little temperamental i think especially if your new to snakes! just my 2 cents!

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Shiari said it better than I could have. Perhaps it's time to look around for a new home for your snake, or do some research on con snake care and temperature regulation.

Hey come pick her up then (very useless post)

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
sooo your not wanting her now?! what kind of corn is she!

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Can you take a photo of her and post it? I would like to see her. I am concerned about her.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
This suggests that your temperatures are too high.

So, temps are too hot, you've got the AC on so you claim temps are now too low (my corns eat outside their bins/tanks at my room temperature even in winter... which is 65 degrees and I doubt that's how cold your house is) And then you stick a lamp close to her that is going to get massively too hot. Temperature shock.

Also known as a fairly sure-fire method to make a hatchling NOT want to eat because you have turned yourself AND the mouse into scary monsters.

It can take a while to confirm a snake is dead. Tossing a snake around is liable to damage it. Popping 'hard' doesn't give you experience popping. You need to learn the correct pressure so you start light and then go more firm until you find the right strength to use. You still don't know how to pop now as applying too much pressure can result in the hemipenes not appearing as you're basically crushing them.

No you can't. You're not a vet and you didn't wait long enough and you probably had her so overheated she was in shock.

You have injured your snake due to careless actions. Your temps are likely not correct, your methods of 'encouraging' her to feed are only going to further your snake's lack of desire to eat, and now you have damaged her only route for the elimination of bodily waste products.

So are you telling me that snakes can have heat strokes? I was not grabbing her and forcing it down her throat i was simply put it in her face trying to get her to eat it. She was dead i tell you, not breathing or anything!

My temps are correct, i even have a thermostat.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
WTH have you done to your poor snake? Well, assuming this is true because it just sounds so off the wall, I will go ahead and type out what I think.

First, don't put her under a lamp.. it's too hot.. corns only need under the belly heat to digest and only up to 85 F at the hottest. The lamp might of been too hot and she overheated. If your room wasn't below 70 then the lamp wasn't necessary. She will be just fine with an under the tank heating pad she can lay over when she needs to digest. Just don't let the pad get over 85 F. It will burn the crap out of her.

I'm at a loss as to why you are "popping" her if you thought she was dead.. You popped her too hard and injured her.

Next, not a good idea to pick her up and toss her around like that.. and lying her on her back.

If she does that again, please take her to a vet that knows about herps.

Like i said, she was under the lamp because she was in her feeding bin which had NO heat source because it is just used for FEEDING and my room was really cold, and i read if things are too cold they will not eat.

I poped her to make sure that "she" was indeed a female and to get a feel of how popping snakes is. I read you should never attempt to pop a young snake. But she was dead so hey... vet? Okay check!

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
OPPS i messed it up.. today is not my day i swear!! SORRY guys

also your getting more baby corns maybe you should start with an older snake so you can learn everything you can babys can be a little temperamental i think especially if your new to snakes! just my 2 cents!

Yes i am getting 4 more at the up coming expo. And a pastel BP

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:16 PM
sooo your not wanting her now?! what kind of corn is she!

sarcasm and she is a Anery

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Like i said, she was under the lamp because she was in her feeding bin which had NO heat source because it is just used for FEEDING and my room was really cold, and i read if things are too cold they will not eat.

I poped her to make sure that "she" was indeed a female and to get a feel of how popping snakes is. I read you should never attempt to pop a young snake. But she was dead so hey... vet? Okay check!

As long as it's not below 70 in the room when you go to feed her, she will be just fine. The lamp made her way too hot. And as someone else pointed out.. sounds like you have it too hot in her tank and that's one reason she is drinking so much water.

Well, now that you appeared to have injured her, might be a good idea to get her to a vet to have her vent checked out.

In the meantime, make the heating pad in her tank no hotter than 85 F and the room not below 65 F at the coolest.

I hope she will be ok

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

You have successfully managed to point out all of my flaws, no what advice can YOU give on dealing with the swollen vent? I removed the water bowl and as of now have her on paper towel.

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything, but please make sure you are taking care of your corn properly before getting any other snakes. It just seems to me you might need a bit more experience before you take on other snakes. Hey.. I had zero knowledge last year when I took on a snake that desperately needed a home in an emergency..

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
As long as it's not below 70 in the room when you go to feed her, she will be just fine. The lamp made her way too hot. And as someone else pointed out.. sounds like you have it too hot in her tank and that's one reason she is drinking so much water.

Well, now that you appeared to have injured her, might be a good idea to get her to a vet to have her vent checked out.

In the meantime, make the heating pad in her tank no hotter than 85 F and the room not below 65 F at the coolest.

I hope she will be ok

My hot side temp is 85.7 and the hottest it can get on the warm side is 90.3 at the heat mat if she were to burrow, my temps are monitored with a digital probe thermometer and infra red temp gun.

If you can give me a herp vet in NYC that is withing walking or train distance price i'll gladly go.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
why did you remove her water?! the only time there shouldnt be water is when they are first settling down to hibernate! i believe??!

i cant help you on the swallon vent never had an issue with that before, sorry!

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
No to sound like an ass or anything, but please make sure you are taking care of your corn properly before getting any other snakes.

I can assure you my husbandry is A+, it was on mistake i made assuming my corn snake was dead. You don't seem like ass one bit, this is a forum thread, your glad to post what ever you want as long as it related to the subject, bad feed back gives things to improve on.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
you need to get a dimmer switch so that it cant get hotter then 86* because they will burn there bellys and thats nasty stuff.. you can get one of those at lowes, or home depot places like that its an extension cord with a dimmer switch on the end!

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
My hot side temp is 85.7 and the hottest it can get on the warm side is 90.3 at the heat mat if she were to burrow, my temps are monitored with a digital probe thermometer and infra red temp gun.

If you can give me a herp vet in NYC that is withing walking or train distance price i'll gladly go.

Cut down the temps a bit.. that 90.3 is too hot. I don't know NYC at all....but I will do some digging to see if I can locate one that's knowledgeable about herps.

Like I said.. Im not trying to be an ass.. I am just concerned that you need a bit more experience with the care side before you take on other snakes.. I did it that way and was rewarded for my knowledge when I got my second corn.

starsevol
You have successfully managed to point out all of my flaws, no what advice can YOU give on dealing with the swollen vent? I removed the water bowl and as of now have her on paper towel.

Dumb question here but why take away her water? If she is dehydrated (because it DOES sound like you overheated her) and she has no access to water she could die for real.
Plus a few of us said that she should go to a vet for that injury you caused........

naruto
why did you remove her water?! the only time there shouldnt be water is when they are first settling down to hibernate! i believe??!

i cant help you on the swallon vent never had an issue with that before, sorry!

The water is removed to prevent soaking and spilling, spilled water, equals high humidity, high humidity will rise the chance of the swollen vent becoming infected and i dont want to risk her soaking.. but yet im the newbie

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Dumb question here but why take away her water? If she is dehydrated (because it DOES sound like you overheated her) and she has no access to water she could die for real.
Plus a few of us said that she should go to a vet for that injury you caused........

I mist her, and she drinks as i mist her, i did it twice already and it worked out fine. And as i said before, give me a herp vet in walking distance in NYC and i'll gladly take her.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Cut down the temps a bit.. that 90.3 is too hot. I don't know NYC at all....but I will do some digging to see if I can locate one that's knowledgeable about herps.

Like I said.. Im not trying to be an ass.. I am just concerned that you need a bit more experience with the care side before you take on other snakes.. I did it that way and was rewarded for my knowledge when I got my second corn.

That is at the base only if she diggs all the way down... and lays on the heat mat and still thats not enough to burn her...

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:27 PM
The water is removed to prevent soaking and spilling, spilled water, equals high humidity, high humidity will rise the chance of the swollen vent becoming infected and i dont want to risk her soaking.. but yet im the newbie

Does she have a heavy water dish so she can't knock it over? She needs her water always in the tank with her. They need a lot of water or they dehydrate and die. If you don't have a heavy dish, get one.... please put her water back in with her.. she needs it.

Man, I am worried about your snake now.

And I am not saying you don't have any husbandry skills.. it just sounds like you are over heating her.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
you need to get a dimmer switch so that it cant get hotter then 86* because they will burn there bellys and thats nasty stuff.. you can get one of those at lowes, or home depot places like that its an extension cord with a dimmer switch on the end!

I have a ranco thermostat.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Does she have a heavy water dish so she can't knock it over? She needs her water always in the tank with her. They need a lot of water or they dehydrate and die. If you don't have a heavy dish, get one.... please put her water back in with her.. she needs it.

Man, I am worried about your snake now.

And I am not saying you don't have any husbandry skills.. it just sounds like you are over heating her.

My temps are good, no need to worry and i'll put the water dish back in.

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
And didn't you post that your Mom didn't even want you to have her? How are you going to get other snakes if she's already against this one?

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:31 PM

I agree, this time of year they really need NO heat at all for the most part. I am of the opinion that too cool is better than too hot. Too cool you might have a regurge at the worst, too hot and you will have a dead snake. Better to err on the cool side....

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
well it needs to be lower! 90 can burn there bellys and that would be as bad as you vent issue you are having now! they can borrow down to the glass and lay on the bare glass but its your choice to keep it where it is.. i was just adding my input!

but the water needs to be put back in a little mist here and there isnt going to give her enough water that she needs to rehydrate!

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
And didn't you post that your Mom didn't even want you to have her? How are you going to get other snakes if she's already against this one?

Could not careless. In all honesty she does not like them,but as long as its my money and i'm keeping them in my room it does not matter.

The only thing she likes is my red tegu....

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm sorry, but yes, you are a newbie. And I am really scared for the safety of your snake. A glass ashtray is a great water dish that they can't knock over.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree, this time of year they really need NO heat at all for the most part. I am of the opinion that too cool is better than too hot. Too cool you might have a regurge at the worst, too hot and you will have a dead snake. Better to err on the cool side....

Thanks for one of the first actual useful post, even though its clear you have no read it, because she has not eaten in a while buddy.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry, but yes, you are a newbie. And I am really scared for the safety of your snake. A glass ashtray is a great water dish that they can't knock over.

Ounce again ................."sarcasm"

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for one of the first actual useful post, even though its clear you have no read it, because she has not eaten in a while buddy.

It doesnt matter whether or not she has eaten....well it does but not in regards to what I am saying about temp.

Too cold, worst case regurge...I am talking the worst effects of being too cold. Regurge is bad, but if you follow proper regurge protocol a snake has a good chance of surviving.

Too hot, worst case is death.

If you can't get temps exactly where you want them, then a little too cool is the way to go.

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
My temps are good, no need to worry and i'll put the water dish back in.

THANK YOU! She needs it in her tank everyday.. with FRESH AND CLEAN water daily.

I don't know New York.. but I live down here in the South. I don't have my heating pad on in my corns tanks unless they are digesting.. I keep my home cooler than 80 F in the Summer.. but have the tank heating pads on and not let my house get cooler than 60 F in the winter.

Trying to get the temps right and knowing when they need heat at all can be a balancing act.. it comes with experience and knowing what your corn is happiest (as much as you can tell by behavior) at.

All we are asking is to lower the temp where at the hottest it's not over 85 F. They can burn themselves easily when burrowing and lying on the hot glass. And corns love to burrow.

As for her vent injury.. I am not sure what to advise about that... I will let the more experienced breeders or members here have a say on that one.

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Ounce again ................."sarcasm"

Ounce? What does a measure of weight have to do with anything?
I AM scared for the well being of your snake.
Her temps are way too high, you are scaring the daylights out of her at feeding time, and now she is hurt because of something you did.....to top it all off you can't get her medical care on your own.

ceduke
06-10-2011, 02:46 PM

For dealing with the swollen vent, soaking the vent area in a cool bowl of sugar water can help bring down the swelling.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:47 PM
It doesnt matter whether or not she has eaten....well it does but not in regards to what I am saying about temp.

Too cold, worst case regurge...I am talking the worst effects of being too cold. Regurge is bad, but if you follow proper regurge protocol a snake has a good chance of surviving.

Too hot, worst case is death.

If you can't get temps exactly where you want them, then a little too cool is the way to go.

She cannot regurge if she is not eating 0_o.........

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:47 PM
THANK YOU! She needs it in her tank everyday.. with FRESH AND CLEAN water daily.

I don't know New York.. but I live down here in the South. I don't have my heating pad on in my corns tanks unless they are digesting.. I keep my home cooler than 80 F in the Summer.. but have the tank heating pads on and not let my house get cooler than 60 F in the winter.

Trying to get the temps right and knowing when they need heat at all can be a balancing act.. it comes with experience and knowing what your corn is happiest (as much as you can tell by behavior) at.

All we are asking is to lower the temp where at the hottest it's not over 85 F. They can burn themselves easily when burrowing and lying on the hot glass. And corns love to burrow.

As for her vent injury.. I am not sure what to advise about that... I will let the more experienced breeders or members here have a say on that one.

Okay 85f it is then, and really you have no idea what its like trying to find a herp vet out here.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
For dealing with the swollen vent, soaking the vent area in a cool bowl of sugar water can help bring down the swelling.

interesting i didnt know this one! hope i never have to deal with this issue but at least i will know now :bowdown:

Shiari
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
So are you telling me that snakes can have heat strokes? I was not grabbing her and forcing it down her throat i was simply put it in her face trying to get her to eat it. She was dead i tell you, not breathing or anything!

My temps are correct, i even have a thermostat.

1- Yes, snakes can suffer from heat stroke and dehydration. ANY animal can.

2- I don't care that you weren't force feeding her. Putting it in her face was SCARING her, as evidenced by the backing away.

3- Snakes can hold their breath for very very long periods of time. She. Was. Not. Dead.

4- No, your temps are not correct. You've admitted your warm side is too hot (90 degrees) and the fact that your snake is drinking a very great deal also shows that the temps are too high.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Ounce? What does a measure of weight have to do with anything?
I AM scared for the well being of your snake.
Her temps are way too high, you are scaring the daylights out of her at feeding time, and now she is hurt because of something you did.....to top it all off you can't get her medical care on your own.

Dude really? I'm freaking replying to about 10 people at a time, a few mistakes are bound to happen..

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm not talking about HER specifically. I am talking about cornsnakes IN GENERAL.

What is the worst thing that can happen to a cornsnake (any cornsnake) if kept too cool.
And what is the worst thing that can happen to a cornsnake (any cornsnake) if kept too hot.
Capeche???

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
1- Yes, snakes can suffer from heat stroke and dehydration. ANY animal can.

2- I don't care that you weren't force feeding her. Putting it in her face was SCARING her, as evidenced by the backing away.

3- Snakes can hold their breath for very very long periods of time. She. Was. Not. Dead.

4- No, your temps are not correct. You've admitted your warm side is too hot (90 degrees) and the fact that your snake is drinking a very great deal also shows that the temps are too high.

Insane, i never knew that! We'll thanks for that, your so brilliant.

ceduke
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Regardless, it is safer for the animal if they are too cool than too warm. Too warm is VERY dangerous, too cool is still not good, but less dangerous than cooking her.

I lived in an area last year where it was 105 every day and it was not standard practice to have air conditioning in houses. I removed all heat from my animals, moved them into a walk in closet, and bought a swamp cooler to keep them from overheating and dehydrating.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Sugar? Care to go into a little more detail pal?

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm not talking about HER specifically. I am talking about cornsnakes IN GENERAL.

What is the worst thing that can happen to a cornsnake (any cornsnake) if kept too cool.
And what is the worst thing that can happen to a cornsnake (any cornsnake) if kept too hot.
Capeche???

I know that can happen, but this thread is about HER not every corn snake in the world, which is why i said SHE is not eating, so lets take the regurge thing out of this topic...

GOT IT?

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Insane, i never knew that! We'll thanks for that, your so brilliant.

It is obvious you did not know that. And I am not being sarcastic....

(And it's "you're" as in "you are" not your, which would mean that something that belongs to her is brilliant but the sentence ends before you say what it is)

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Regardless, it is safer for the animal if they are too cool than too warm. Too warm is VERY dangerous, too cool is still not good, but less dangerous than cooking her.

I lived in an area last year where it was 105 every day and it was not standard practice to have air conditioning in houses. I removed all heat from my animals, moved them into a walk in closet, and bought a swamp cooler to keep them from overheating and dehydrating.

That is hot! I could not do 105f everyday, you sir are a trooper. Now back on topic, if i let things get too cold i risk a RI but i know the deal there so need to go into detail.

Noxis
06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
For the love of snakes, mate, please sort things with this snake and get her healthy again before taking a shot at more snakes. Prove to yourself that you can be an awesome snakekeeper by helping this little girl thrive! Once she is alright, and your temps are stable (with 85f being the highest possible temp), then consider more snakes.

Snakes are not toys! They are living beings with specific needs. From everything you've posted on these 5 pages, your snake has been through a traumatic experience. Do you really want the others to do the same?
Try asking yourself why your snake stopped eating. You can find the answers repeatedly throughout this forum. Instead of taking offense to any of these posts, accept them, admit that you maybe made a mistake, and learn from them. Get your little anery eating and thriving, and then get more.

Can I ask, why do you even want more snakes? Isn't one pet enough, especially when she's not doing so well and needs your help and attention? Remember that each one is a major responsibility. I have 7, and I have to dedicate a lot of time to keep them clean, healthy, fed, and at correct temps.
On the other hand, you said that your mom doesn't approve. I'm thinking you should consider her. How old are you, anyway?

neiman07
06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
i dont understand why your being so rude.. these people are just trying to tell you things that you might not know and you are being very rude!

starsevol
06-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I know that can happen, but this thread is about HER not every corn snake in the world, which is why i said SHE is not eating, so lets take the regurge thing out of this topic...

GOT IT?

But her not eating is a seperate topic from you trying to cook her.
If she was totally chilled the worst case (regurge) would not happen with her, big whoop. I was telling you that too cool is safer than too hot, and explaining WHY.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
It is obvious you did not know that. And I am not being sarcastic....

(And it's "you're" as in "you are" not your, which would mean that something that belongs to her is brilliant but the sentence ends before you say what it is)

Is this a forum or grammar class? I honestly don't care, i'm trying to figure out what happen to my snake (oops sorry i mean snaopke) and what to do! Not win an award. It's pretty obvious i am getting under your skin being your resulting to public embarrassment, but it doesn't matter, i look at you an see a joke.

Do your self a favor and just stop posting, your no help at all. Thanks have a great life bud.

Shiari
06-10-2011, 02:59 PM

GOT IT?

It relates to HER because your temps being too high can cause her to overheat and die. She's already clearly showed signs of the temps being too high, and we're telling you to lower them AND explaining that being a little cool is far better than being too hot.

Reading comprehension minus defensiveness is definitely in order.

For example, it is 80 degrees in my house right now, so I've turned the heat off on my snakes. They are still able to digest their meals quite well, are not showing any signs of stress or overheating.

And when I have a hatchling with low desire to eat, I put them and a hot half-pink into a plastic sandwich tub and put it under a blanket so that the snake is alone, quiet, and in the dark. And I leave 'em there for about 4 hours. If they don't eat that time, I do it again 3 days later. It's worked eventually on most of 'em.

naruto
06-10-2011, 02:59 PM
But her not eating is a seperate topic from you trying to cook her.
If she was totally chilled the worst case (regurge) would not happen with her, big whoop. I was telling you that too cool is safer than too hot, and explaining WHY.

ahh duwhh me brain can no read...

starsevol
06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I think there is a good chance we are feeding a troll here.
It refused to admit that it's wrong, and it's rude.
I fear for any living thing that relies on this....person for proper care.

ceduke
06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Sugar? Care to go into a little more detail pal?

A sweet substance usually found in granule form, a common ingredient in many recipes and found in most kitchens.

Seriously though, sugar is a dessicant, and soaking the swelling in sugar water will help to draw the fluid out of the area and bring the swelling down. It's a fairly common practice when a snake experiences a prolapse.

The suggestion to use cool water is just for her comfort, as it seem to me that a dehydrated, recently overheated animal would probably be happier with cool water.

ceduke
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Indeed. I'm done here.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
For the love of snakes, mate, please sort things with this snake and get her healthy again before taking a shot at more snakes. Prove to yourself that you can be an awesome snakekeeper by helping this little girl thrive! Once she is alright, and your temps are stable (with 85f being the highest possible temp), then consider more snakes.

Snakes are not toys! They are living beings with specific needs. From everything you've posted on these 5 pages, your snake has been through a traumatic experience. Do you really want the others to do the same?
Try asking yourself why your snake stopped eating. You can find the answers repeatedly throughout this forum. Instead of taking offense to any of these posts, accept them, admit that you maybe made a mistake, and learn from them. Get your little anery eating and thriving, and then get more.

Can I ask, why do you even want more snakes? Isn't one pet enough, especially when she's not doing so well and needs your help and attention? Remember that each one is a major responsibility. I have 7, and I have to dedicate a lot of time to keep them clean, healthy, fed, and at correct temps.
On the other hand, you said that your mom doesn't approve. I'm thinking you should consider her. How old are you, anyway?

Same reason you have 7 i want more. As for useful post, i only saw about three that actually had any good information. Go back to the first page please and see who started with the insults and childish behavior.

My age? I'm 16 but why does that even matter?

Oh an i put this snake in WAY better condition than it was before, i got her from petco, she was skinny as hell, stink, with about 9 other snakes and had no water. Because of me she got a few extra months of life.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM

even worse he wants to get more soon! but he cant even give this one a good home, i fear there will be co-habbing maybe and his mom doesnt even want them! i dont understand him at all!
:mad:

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
It relates to HER because your temps being too high can cause her to overheat and die. She's already clearly showed signs of the temps being too high, and we're telling you to lower them AND explaining that being a little cool is far better than being too hot.

Reading comprehension minus defensiveness is definitely in order.

For example, it is 80 degrees in my house right now, so I've turned the heat off on my snakes. They are still able to digest their meals quite well, are not showing any signs of stress or overheating.

And when I have a hatchling with low desire to eat, I put them and a hot half-pink into a plastic sandwich tub and put it under a blanket so that the snake is alone, quiet, and in the dark. And I leave 'em there for about 4 hours. If they don't eat that time, I do it again 3 days later. It's worked eventually on most of 'em.

Thanks.... does chicken broth work

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Have a nice day bud.

starsevol
06-10-2011, 03:08 PM
We are just calling 'em as we see 'em.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Indeed. I'm done here.

This forum is a joke, start with insults and end with them.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:09 PM
A sweet substance usually found in granule form, a common ingredient in many recipes and found in most kitchens.

Seriously though, sugar is a dessicant, and soaking the swelling in sugar water will help to draw the fluid out of the area and bring the swelling down. It's a fairly common practice when a snake experiences a prolapse.

The suggestion to use cool water is just for her comfort, as it seem to me that a dehydrated, recently overheated animal would probably be happier with cool water.

Thanks for the help after 40 post of crap.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 03:10 PM
rubbing a lizard on the mice works sometimes i read, i dont remember what kind of lizard maybe someone else will... i would think chicken broth has to much salt in it i could be wrong though.. i would give her a couple of days before you try to feed her again though and try to feed her at night sense they are night critters!

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:11 PM
even worse he wants to get more soon! but he cant even give this one a good home, i fear there will be co-habbing maybe and his mom doesnt even want them! i dont understand him at all!
:mad:

Perfection.

neiman07
or maybe you have a snake that will only eat live or freshly killed mice.. have you thought about trying either of those?

naruto
We are just calling 'em as we see 'em.

You my sir fail! You fail bad!

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Ok.. straight up here..

You say you rescued her from the pet store where she was in worse condition.. and that you have actually helped her... kudos to you (truly)... but right now please make sure her temps are not above 85 F.. and make sure if the rooms hot enough you don't have her heating on.. and make sure PLEASE that she has full clean water in her dish at all times. And try to put her in a container and placing her pinky in with her and leaving her alone (with a lid covering so she doesn't get out). And try the sugar soaking thing for her vent and hope to hell she doesn't need a vet. If so, try googling for one in your area that is herp knowledgable. If you can't get to him/her.. perhaps call and explain the injury and perhaps he/she can advise you. And please don't try to pop her anymore or any other snake without knowing for sure how to do it.

This is all I ask. Make sure you clean out her tank regularly as well.

Please!!!!!!

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
rubbing a lizard on the mice works sometimes i read, i dont remember what kind of lizard maybe someone else will... i would think chicken broth has to much salt in it i could be wrong though.. i would give her a couple of days before you try to feed her again though and try to feed her at night sense they are night critters!

Okay i will keep that in mind

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
or maybe you have a snake that will only eat live or freshly killed mice.. have you thought about trying either of those?

No way for me to get live pinks, and petco feeds frozen......

neiman07
06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
u had an issue with a snake i bought from petco and they returned it after 2 ms of trying to feed it, it soon diead after that.. they dont make sure the are very good eaters when they sell them to you.. also they should have put a vet they use on the slip of paper the give to you when you bought it!

naruto
Ok.. straight up here..

You say you rescued her from the pet store where she was in worse condition.. and that you have actually helped her... kudos to you (truly)... but right now please make sure her temps are not above 85 F.. and make sure if the rooms hot enough you don't have her heating on.. and make sure PLEASE that she has full clean water in her dish at all times. And try to put her in a container and placing her pinky in with her and leaving her alone (with a lid covering so she doesn't get out). And try the sugar soaking thing for her vent and hope to hell she doesn't need a vet. If so, try googling for one in your area that is herp knowledgable. If you can't get to him/her.. perhaps call and explain the injury and perhaps he/she can advise you. And please don't try to pop her anymore or any other snake without knowing for sure how to do it.

This is all I ask. Make sure you clean out her tank regularly as well.

Please!!!!!!

Thank you! How long should the soak last, 30mins? inch deep right?

starsevol
This forum is a joke, start with insults and end with them.

For your information, this is THE best forum on the net for cornsnake care.
The people here happen to LOVE cornsnakes and happen to have just read that you have obviously overheated, nearly killed, squeezed, threw your snake, and up til now made every mealtime for her a frightening ordeal.
Sorry kiddo, but as a group we happen to care more about the welfare of your poor little girl than your widdle feelings. We care about her more than you can know, and obviously more than you do.

It also seems that somebody is dropping the ball as far as raising a child with even basic manners. Shame on them!

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
u had an issue with a snake i bought from petco and they returned it after 2 ms of trying to feed it, it soon diead after that.. they dont make sure the are very good eaters when they sell them to you.. also they should have put a vet they use on the slip of paper the give to you when you bought it!

What? Are you suggesting my taking the snake to the vet?

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Thank you! How long should the soak last, 30mins? inch deep right?

As long as you can keep her in it.. even half an inch is fine.. you don't want her to chance drowning.. although I doubt she will.. shes liable to squirm wanting to get out than to float in it. But it should help soothe her..

And also, having the tank bottom too hot will aggravate her wound on her vent too.. so like I said.. lower the temps.. she'll be ok.

neiman07
06-10-2011, 03:20 PM
yea the vet.. but petco normally writes the vet they use on the sheet of paper for your area!!!

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
For your information, this is THE best forum on the net for cornsnake care.
The people here happen to LOVE cornsnakes and happen to have just read that you have obviously overheated, nearly killed, squeezed, threw your snake, and up til now made every mealtime for her a frightening ordeal.
Sorry kiddo, but as a group we happen to care more about the welfare of your poor little girl than your widdle feelings. We care about her more than you can know, and obviously more than you do.

It also seems that somebody is dropping the ball as far as raising a child with even basic manners. Shame on them!

I thought you were done? Ha ha you think i care about what you have to say? Not one bit at all, and i did all of this because i thought my snake was dead. If i did not care, do you think i would have even posted this thread?

Opps i'm from NY, this be no hurt a my feeling, i dont be a caring. That's how you see it right?

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
yea the vet.. but petco normally writes the vet they use on the sheet of paper for your area!!!

They have a vet? If so he must be crap, about 95% of the reptiles they have are dead or dying.

BloodyBaroness
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
What? Are you suggesting my taking the snake to the vet?

Among other things.

Put the attitude aside pal. The people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and care deeply for their pets. That's why they are getting so angry with your flippant attitude and snarky responses.

You made some mistakes with your care and these folks are TRYING to help you.

starsevol
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I thought you were done? Ha ha you think i care about what you have to say? Not one bit at all, and i did all of this because i thought my snake was dead. If i did not care, do you think i would have even posted this thread?

Opps i'm from NY, this be no hurt a my feeling, i dont be a caring. That's how you see it right?

Good, because we don't care about your widdle feelings!!!
Why you posted this, I honestly don't know.
You are rude.
I just hope you are listening.

One thing about me, I am never done....
feeding trolls is a hobby...

starsevol
06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Among other things.

Put the attitude aside pal. The people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and care deeply for their pets. That's why they are getting so angry with your flippant attitude and snarky responses.

Well said, Autumn :)

At this point, I am not trying to help the rude child, but the snake sure deserves anything we can say that will get through....

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Naruto, we are all just a bit frustrated because we care very much about your little girl and we are wanting you to take our advice. Believe me when I tell you, I came here in Nov last year with a brand new baby corn snake on my hands that a friend of my daughter's had but couldn't take with her when she moved. My daughter already had a corn snake so couldn't take him on. I signed up on this forum worried sick because I didn't know the first thing about corn snakes... or reptiles altogether for that matter. I learned a lot from these people on this site.. some of them breeders or long time corn owners themselves.. and some of them have already replied in this thread. Listen to them. Please! They give the best advice. They know their Sh*t in other words.. and I learned a hell of a lot by listening to them and reading all the information on this site. It's the best I have found so far.

Now, back to your baby girl... just follow what we have all told you and just don't handle her roughly like you did already (I know you thought she was dead).. and keep her with plenty of water and with temps no higher than 85F on the hot side... and fed her as suggested.. and she will thrive.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Among other things.

You guys are one in a million i swear. Seriously do you not see the grief i have been getting. I'm a open book, please all advice and hate comments, thank you :)..

Oh and cool avatar bro.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Good, because we don't care about your widdle feelings!!!
Why you posted this, I honestly don't know.
You are rude.
I just hope you are listening.

One thing about me, I am never done....
feeding trolls is a hobby...

Epic line! I can assure you i am not a "troll". I just refuse to take BS, you guys started off with bs instead of just answering. How many times will i have to say it was all a mistake, i thought she was freaking dead, i was about to bury her and all man.

naruto
06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Naruto, we are all just a bit frustrated because we care very much about your little girl and we are wanting you to take our advice. Believe me when I tell you, I came here in Nov last year with a brand new baby corn snake on my hands that a friend of my daughter's had but couldn't take with her when she moved. My daughter already had a corn snake so couldn't take him on. I signed up on this forum worried sick because I didn't know the first thing about corn snakes... or reptiles altogether for that matter. I learned a lot from these people on this site.. some of them breeders or long time corn owners themselves.. and some of them have already replied in this thread. Listen to them. Please! They give the best advice. They know their Sh*t in other words.. and I learned a hell of a lot by listening to them and reading all the information on this site. It's the best I have found so far.

Now, back to your baby girl... just follow what we have all told you and just don't handle her roughly like you did already (I know you thought she was dead).. and keep her with plenty of water and with temps no higher than 85F on the hot side... and fed her as suggested.. and she will thrive.

Alright so according to all of your(the forum) advice,

I will turn off my heat pad, and let my temps sit around 80-85ish.... Put my water bowl back, soak her daily in cool sugar water.. and try to feed her in a dark bin in three days.

My questions are,

- Soak her whole body or just tail?
- Should i try chicken broth on the pinkie in the dark bin?
- Do i soak her daily
- Should i keep her substrate out until she is healed, right now she is on news paper.

And if it matters, i use tubs and already have a rack set up for the corns i'm getting. But i will hold out on those until around the October expo, okay? ;)

TheJadeReptile
06-10-2011, 03:45 PM

I will turn off my heat pad, and let my temps sit around 80-85ish.... Put my water bowl back, soak her daily in cool sugar water.. and try to feed her in a dark bin in three days.

My questions are,

- Do i soak her daily
- Should i keep her substrate out until she is healed, right now she is on news paper.

And if it matters, i use tubs and already have a rack set up for the corns i'm getting. But i will hold out on those until around the October expo, okay? ;)

Good for you. Soak her whole body, but allow her to "slither" not swim. And yes try the chicken broth. Not sure about soaking her daily. And yes keep her on News paper until healed.

Shiari
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM
1- Put her entire self in the water. It's hard to keep them still and you want to stress her as little as possible.

2- Try one thing at a time, that way you can determine what works. Try whole pink in a dark bin. Then a brained pink in the dark bin. Then a pink cut in half along the spine. Then a pink dipped in tuna juice. A pink washed with dove soap and rinsed off really well. A pink rubbed on the skin/fat from original recipe crispy KFC. A pink dipped in low sodium chicken broth. A pink rubbed on a lizard like an anole. A pink rubbed with bird feathers (get some finch or 'keet feathers from a pet store). etc etc etc

and yes, keep her on paper towels until she is healed.

Ares2010
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM

My questions are,

- Do i soak her daily

- Soak her whole body or just tail? put her in the sugar water enough to make sure her vent is in the water. Try to keep her in there as long as you can. You can do only her tail if she will let you.. otherwise do the best you can as long as her vent is soaking.

- Should i try chicken broth on the pinkie in the dark bin? I only use chicken broth covering the pinkie.. if I can't get mine to eat.
- Do i soak her daily yes, however often it takes to get the swelling down.. and check her vent every day to make sure it's healing.
- Should i keep her substrate out until she is healed, right now she is on news paper. Yes, keep her out of substrate until she is healed. Actually paper towel is better.. because the ink from the newspaper can get on her and aggravate or infect her wound.

starsevol
06-10-2011, 03:49 PM

My questions are,

- Do i soak her daily

I think just letting her sit in shallow water, her whole body, would be less stressful to her than you holding her and dipping her tail.

Not sure about the chicken broth. There are alot of things you could try, but I think if I were in your shoes I would brain a thawed pink first, and put her in a dark quiet delicup with it overnight.

I think newspaper is fine. It is not like aspen that can stick to wounds. I just hope she has no internal injuries.

Hopefully she eats eventually, so many Petco snakes don't....

Kethryanne
06-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I would soak her whole body, once a day until the swelling is gone for about 20 mins.

I would try plain pinkie cut in half in the dark bin first and then next feeding try the chicken broth dipping. try only offering food every 5 days or so. If you offer too often she won't eat either due to being stressed out.

I would use paper towel instead of the newspaper if it is inked. The ink can irritate the injury. Once the injury is healed and no longer swollen it should be ok to return her to the regular substrate you use.

crotalis40741
06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
They have a vet? If so he must be crap, about 95% of the reptiles they have are dead or dying.
I have a friend in the Bronx maybe he knows a good vet close by. But I seriously suggest you get some more knowledge in snake husbandry before getting more. And trying to respect your mother enough to listen to her wishes. Yeah it may be your money, but is your mother's house.
Also, there are a lot of people on here that have been keeping snakes for years and most for more years than you have been around. So why not try listening instead of getting all offensive because they don't agree with you or your methods. I have had some problems with some hatchlings and there are people on here that have bent over backwards to help me and they would have helped you in any way also but attitude kills the want to help. And lastly why not have enough respect for the people on here and not call everyone bud, dude, man because a lot of the more knowledgeable ones here are women. If this offends you then sorry
bob brown

Lennycorn
06-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Ya know.... Josh isn't as dumb as he looks!!
:sidestep:

MysticExotics
06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Your overall attitude is why you have received the responses that you have.
Please understand that every person here has the best interest of the snake in mind.
If you continue keeping reptiles, down the road, you will understand where the people here are coming from.

That said, you have been given good advice on how to care for her, so I won't duplicate those answers, I will just agree with them.

As far as vets go, I did a google search & found this http://www.reptilevetsnearyou.com/ml2/results

I really, really hope you take that snake to a vet.

I am glad to see that you are willing to wait until the October expo to consider getting any more snakes (I hope you were serious & not being sarcastic).

One thing you can do in the meantime, while you wait, is try to connect with local snake owners (& maybe a breeder or two) & see if you can learn from them. See if they will show you the proper way of popping babies, etc.

We all make mistakes, & we all started off new at this hobby. What's most important is if we learn from those mistakes, correct them & learn how to take better care of our animals.

Trust me when I tell you, that every response on here is based on the fact that the care of the snake is most important, regardless of how it comes across.
Please keep an open mind to the information that is being offered, & don't worry about nit-picking how it comes acrossed to you.

I really hope your snake pulls through.

airenlow
06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Ya know.... Josh isn't as dumb as he looks!!
:sidestep:

Thanks...I think.

carnivorouszoo
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm new to this thread, not the forum just to your siduation.

1. You say she won't eat for you. How many refusals have you had?
2. How long, exactly, have you had her?
3. Who told you your snake is a female and how did they know?
4. If you temps on the glass can get over 85 its too hot, did you know a snake will not eat if it is too hot?
5. I keep my snakes at room temp. That temp is usually 83 during the day, sometimes it gets 86, but never higher. At night it can drop to 76 but never lower. I have not had a regurge since I took away added heat. The only refusals I have had were snakes getting ready to shed and new hatchlings, as in newborn, not new from a shop.

Are you sure she does not have mites? I have read that dehydration can be caused by them, any way you look at it your snake is dehydrated thus drinking lots and lots of water. Another sign she is dehydrated is the fact that her poops were solid. Snake poop should be like bird poop, semi solids with lots of liquids. Not solid and firm.

I would get the temps t 83 on the hot side if you insist on having one, do not use lamps as they can kill snakes, and wait a few days so she can recover a little. Then, with her living on newspaper you can put her food in her viv and leave it over night. She should eat. Wait two days and give her a soak for her injury. Then wait a few more days and feed in viv again. Repeat until the injury is gone. But always keep the hot side of the tank under 86 on the glass. Ambient air temp on top of the bedding does not matter, it is the temp directly on the glass directly above the heating mat that matters. Ok? Feel free to private message me if you want to talk person to person.

And in the future, please do not throw a snake around even if you think it is dead. They are GREAT at playing possum so that their "attacker" will go away.

susang
06-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Do you know what the temp was under that lamp? Honestly have never heard of people using heat for a feeding tub, especially when it is 100* outside.
Even the experts pop females wrong, only males are a sure thing/things.
Where did you read 'never attempt to pop a young snake'? Would you pop an older snake? Hopefully you don't attempt to pop anymore snakes until you have been shown how to do it.
What others are saying is they have a hard time digesting if it is too cool. Digest as in after they eat it takes a couple days to digest.

Just an fyi not everyone on this forum is a 'dude, bro or bud'. There are actually women on this forum as in the queen of cornsnakes.

Lennycorn
06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Just an fyi not everyone on this forum is a 'dude, bro or bud'. There are actually women on this forum as in the queen of cornsnakes.

You said that right!! Daddy O'

gelshark
06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
When I saw this

I can assure you my husbandry is A+

It made me laugh becuase earlier he said this

i even opened her mouth and tossed her around a bit

You'll eventually get things figured out, it probably only happened because you let the nine tailed demon fox (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Nine-Tailed_Demon_Fox) out for a little bit, better work on getting that seal upgraded!

jessicalb
06-10-2011, 09:18 PM
As to your original question, two things I've noticed recently can speak to your experience. One, our larger snake stuck his head under in his water dish and stayed there for about 5 minutes. It was so long I got up and walked over to check to see if he was dead. He was fine. Two, I hadn't seen our baby for days so I went looking for him and found him under a hide and he was this greyish unmoving lump and I lost it totally and sobbed thinking I had somehow killed this beautiful little snake and then after a bit he moved veeeerrrryyyy showly and found another hide.

So, the moral of my stories is that snakes act dead and scare you and it would be wise to assume they are alive.

VickyChaiTea
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
It really can't hurt to take her to a vet, or at least to call one and talk to them about the entire thing. Here are reptile vets in NY
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/newyork.shtml

Has the swelling gone down? Is she eating yet? I hope she starts eating for you. :)

naruto
06-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys she is doing great! Sorry for being a hot head, thank you so much.

When I saw this

It made me laugh becuase earlier he said this

You'll eventually get things figured out, it probably only happened because you let the nine tailed demon fox (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Nine-Tailed_Demon_Fox) out for a little bit, better work on getting that seal upgraded!

Ha ha, Blow me and my nine tail fox mo fo...... -___- so not funny.

rich333
06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow!!! I mean..really?? wow!

Dorgrim
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
hey, whoa lol

do you have pics of the snake and set up? :)
Poor little lady snake, we will figure out what is up yet!

Susan
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I knew there was a reason why I hadn't read this thread until now and that is only because of a reported post (surprisingly, only one).

naruto, I am very glad to hear your little corn snake is doing better and I hope, really hope, that it will continue to do well, but I have some doubts. In your first post, you say you have had her for 2 months and has only eaten once during that time. Later, you say she was in very poor condition when you got her. What you were trying to do in this most recent feeding attempt is called "tease feeding", where you irritate the snake with the prey item to the point it strikes and hopefully grabs and eventually eats the meal. Because your snake is basically starving to death, the stress caused by this procedure, in combination with the heat from the lamp, is what caused your little corn snake to almost die. You are very lucky that you left it alone and that it was able to recover or you would have had a dead baby snake. Most hatchlings that undergo a stress that causes them to appear dead don't recover, and if they do, it is often brief and they die within the next day or two.

The concern of the membership and yourself over the temperatures in your snake's environment is a very real one. You are afraid of the temps getting too low and causing a respiratory infection. You have a corn snake, a very hardy species that can easily tolerate temperatures within the human comfort zone. Corn snakes are routinely brumated for the winter in temps averaging in the low 50's to mid-60's. Granted, those snakes have been fasted to prevent digestive issues, but there is absolutely no danger in having your snake kept in temps in the 70's while it eats. There IS, however, a great danger of it becoming over-heated and dying very rapidly in temps of 90F and above. Heat lamps and just regular light bulbs put out tremendous amounts of heat very quickly within a certain distance from the lamp. It may not even feel hot to us because our body temperature is 98.6F whereas to a cold-blooded snake, 98.6F is lethal.

As a new member, I highly recommend that you read all the stickies at the beginning of each subforum. They will help you not only give the best of care to your corn snake but also give you some ideas on how this forum is run and what is expected from it's membership. We have a few "emotional" members that are not only out-spoken, but tend to speak too much, but do your best to leave the 'tude at the door, keep your cool, ignore the banter and listen to the advice you did get.

Firefur
06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
naruto - any living creature can get heat stroke yes snakes need heat but just because it is cold blooded it does not follow that temperatures can not be to hot. also i agree with may of the responses here, you should not get another baby corn and frankly the way you treated the "body of "a beloved pet" was highly disrespectful. i don't know how old you are but your mother may be right about you not having a snake at least not a young one. i would suggest re-homing the little one and getting an adult snake as they are more hardy and thus forgiving of beginner mistakes. i am not trying to be judgmental as i have had my share of newbee mistakes including one that ended with a gravid snake that just was only just at the minimum breeding size. and while conception likely happened around the time i picked the corns up from their original owners i would still blame myself if anything went wrong. also as much as you are going to hate me for this you need to take the snake to see a vet, by tossing it around like a ragdoll you may have caused internal bleeding or other sever problems that you can not see in addition to the damage you caused her vent. if you do not have the money talk to the vet their are ways around actual cash see if you can work for the vet for free until u have paid off the cost of the vet bill, believe me when i tell you there is always work to do around a vets office i know i worked for one for five years as a volunteer, and in that time i was taught many valuable lessons and i can tell you that most offices would rather have you taking out the trash and doing the huge amount of laundry that comes with vet work then someone who could be saving lives. talk to your vet if they are a good vet they will work out a way to help the snake.

Firefur
06-13-2011, 05:54 AM
as i read further into this i am going to make myself the bad guy by telling you this - show some respect to people who are older, wiser and more experienced then you. as for the not eating may i suggest trying a small lizard they are more expensive but corn snakes and rat snakes in the wild eat small lizards as hatchlings according to my herpetology (reptile biology) textbook. put her water-dish back in with her. also your temps are to high lower them. and honestly if you cant go to the vet their are some that will come to you.

Firefur
06-13-2011, 06:02 AM
okay sorry to yell at you when i've only read up to page 5. good luck with your little one you can help her to get through this try a feeder lizard if all else fails. also keep her on paper towels until she has healed and listen to the advice they are giving you. they really do know what they are talking about.

SnakeAround
06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
I only wanted to add that the opening of the mouth before looking dead can be a sign of some type of convulsion indeed, I have seen it with some snakes short before the (really) died. So I don't think it was playing dead, it actually got unconscious I think. I'm very surprised it is still alive. I would get the temp right, and not bother it for a couple of days AT ALL. I'm pretty sure it won't eat for some time after tis happened to him. You might want to add some ORS, (Oral Rehydratation Salts) to its water, it's probably available at the pharmacist. Mix it in a lower ratio then on the package, you just want to add a little to help it recover faster.

naruto
06-13-2011, 06:51 AM
We'll if you read the thread everything you are telling me now i have already done, her vent is no longer swelled and her movements are back up to average speed. I made a mistake so let it go. She is doing better and has showed more interest in a mouse but has not ate yet. She is in shed.

And what lizard are you suggesting i feed? Because i won't go next to Anoles, most of those are wild caught and loaded with parasites.

Oh and i showed nothing but respect since the first post! I was disrespected first and then again,then again so i replied in the same tone.

SnakeAround
06-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Well Naruto, since you bring it up yourself, I disagree that you were the first to be disrespected. To be honest, the only disrespect I have seen in this thread came from you. I do think you are trying to take care of your snake the best you can, but you let your emotions about being 'disrespected' getting in the way of really reading what people actually are telling you. And accepting that you did something wrong and probably hurt your snake yourself, takes some time because that hurts. Getting angry and project that on people over here is way easier and does not hurt. I'm glad you seem to take things better now. Folks here have been quite patient with you in this thread, trust me. Next time you need advice, sit back, read a reply and if you feel disrespected, take a walk and read it again. You might realize that your feelings come from worrying about your snake and what you might have done wrong instead of us disrespecting you. It can't be that we all think you are being disrespectful while it is actually the opposite, think about that seriously please. There are not many rude people on this forum, they get banned quite soon. You'll know the more outspoken ones after a while and learn how to take their posts.

Now back to the topic: did you also add some ORS to her water? I did read the entire thread and have not read anything about it. Show me the post where it says you did and I'll apologise. If she seems hydrated meanwhile, you might forget about it.

I also just wanted to make sure you are not offering food too soon and too often; when do you plan to try to feed her again? I think she needs at least a week in the proper temp to get interested in food again, certainly after the 'near dead experience'.

Anoles are the first recommended species. If you can get a frozen anole somehow, you can rub it to the pinky, parasites won't matter then. Don't know about other species though, sorry. I would first try all other things suggested (cutting, braining, chicken broth, tuna juice and so on)

Good luck and I hope we can see you participate in our nice forum without having to talk about behavior and stuff :duck:

Ares2010
06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
We'll if you read the thread everything you are telling me now i have already done, her vent is no longer swelled and her movements are back up to average speed. I made a mistake so let it go. She is doing better and has showed more interest in a mouse but has not ate yet. She is in shed.

And what lizard are you suggesting i feed? Because i won't go next to Anoles, most of those are wild caught and loaded with parasites.

Oh and i showed nothing but respect since the first post! I was disrespected first and then again,then again so i replied in the same tone.

FANTASTIC to hear. Thank you for following everyone's advice. She will thrive now if you continue. Just don't put the temps back up. It's too hot for her. If she's in shed, she might not still eat. Let her shed and then offer her food again. Just make things as stress free as possible and she'll be ok.

Firefur
06-13-2011, 01:07 PM
if you have a credit or debit card go to LLLreptile.com and go to their feeders section they have a 'feeder lizard' section. or any small non-spiny lizard will work as long as it is not poisonous or venomous (you probably already figured this out but no amphibians as you never know what the heck they have in their mucus coat) if you can find non wild caught anoles those would be best. if not anything small enough will do try a baby longtailed grass lizard for example. just make sure it is small enough. good luck.

naruto
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Well Naruto, since you bring it up yourself, I disagree that you were the first to be disrespected. To be honest, the only disrespect I have seen in this thread came from you. I do think you are trying to take care of your snake the best you can, but you let your emotions about being 'disrespected' getting in the way of really reading what people actually are telling you. And accepting that you did something wrong and probably hurt your snake yourself, takes some time because that hurts. Getting angry and project that on people over here is way easier and does not hurt. I'm glad you seem to take things better now. Folks here have been quite patient with you in this thread, trust me. Next time you need advice, sit back, read a reply and if you feel disrespected, take a walk and read it again. You might realize that your feelings come from worrying about your snake and what you might have done wrong instead of us disrespecting you. It can't be that we all think you are being disrespectful while it is actually the opposite, think about that seriously please. There are not many rude people on this forum, they get banned quite soon. You'll know the more outspoken ones after a while and learn how to take their posts.

Now back to the topic: did you also add some ORS to her water? I did read the entire thread and have not read anything about it. Show me the post where it says you did and I'll apologise. If she seems hydrated meanwhile, you might forget about it.

I also just wanted to make sure you are not offering food too soon and too often; when do you plan to try to feed her again? I think she needs at least a week in the proper temp to get interested in food again, certainly after the 'near dead experience'.

Anoles are the first recommended species. If you can get a frozen anole somehow, you can rub it to the pinky, parasites won't matter then. Don't know about other species though, sorry. I would first try all other things suggested (cutting, braining, chicken broth, tuna juice and so on)

Good luck and I hope we can see you participate in our nice forum without having to talk about behavior and stuff :duck:

Couldn't care less ;)

Kali
06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
There are not many rude people on this forum, they get banned quite soon.

Had a vision of the future there Blutengel? :laugh:

SnakeAround
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Can't understand that people can behave like that... I had hope I would somehow get him to understand but he is a lost case...

rich333
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow..Must be tough living in NY...thats all i can say.

mataco12
08-11-2015, 04:50 AM
Is this snake still alive? I am very curious about the condition of her and whether or not you have acquired more snakes. I am also curious either the success or failure that you have had with any other corn snakes that you have acquired. I hope you have taken the advice from the countless herpers on this forum into consideration. Please, let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

zazoo31
08-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I know this is an old thread, I was just reading it. What annoys me is all these people who get snakes (or ANY animal) and then just say no to a vet visit because they can't afford it. That is part of ownership. This poster even mentions they are going to get four more. If you can't afford to take one to the vet, you cannot afford four more. I think it is horribly cruel to deny an animal care--as evidenced by my dogs/vet bill on my credit card! Thankfully our corn has always been healthy. It is part of pet ownership to me.

mataco12
08-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I agree with you, zazoo!