PDA

View Full Version : Baby Corn died,WHY?

Baby Corn died,WHY?

Littlewolf
06-17-2002, 10:58 AM
I've had this baby corn for 2 months and it was eating good and seemed like nothing was wrong with it. Sat. night I fed it a pinkie and then Sun. morn I checked on it and it was dead! You could see the lump of the pinkie and it wasn't even digested yet. I didn't do anything different from the other times when I fed it. I had just bought the pinkies a few days earlir from the same pet shop, then I freeze them (not a live) and then thaw them out to feed. Could there have been something on the pinkie that poisoned my snake. I just don't understand what happened to my baby corn.:( L.W Thanks

Dean
06-17-2002, 11:59 AM
I can't give any help with the cause of your corns death, but give my sympathy.

Regards.

Dean.

Simon
06-17-2002, 12:39 PM
I'd guess that it's just one of those 'suddent death' cases. It's a very rare case, but it could happen. Another thing that could of been it was a food toxic case.....

May the best be with it where ever it is.

God Bless

Elaphe_Mo
06-17-2002, 01:02 PM
If you still have the little guy, you might want to take it to a vet and have them do a necropsy. It could tell you what happened and let you know about potential parasites or things to look out for when/if you decide to get a new snakey friend.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Colleen
06-17-2002, 02:25 PM
:( So sorry for your loss. Thats scary,we've only had ours for 3 weeks. The vet idea sounds good, that way at least you'll have some answears.......although I'm sure even if you know the cause it will still be painful. But like Elaphe_Mo said if you get another one the info. may be helpful.

Colleen

ERJ
06-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Very sorry about your loss. I know its not a corn but i had a albino radiated rat which died 1 and a bit months after i got got it for no apparent reason. I suppose it could be the food or parasites.

Jr Nimeskern
06-17-2002, 10:42 PM
I too am sorry for your loss... I would hate to lose one of my babies... I would def. check it out with the vet if you still do have the little guy... I doubt that it was the food... food dont kill your corn that fast... not if its infected... sometimes life isnt ment to be...

my sympthy goes out to you...

DustinWaller
06-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Hmm where did you get the mouse. I think something was probly wrong with the food or maybe it got poisoned or somthing. I would take to vet.

abell82
06-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Sorry for your loss. How long did you let the mouse thaw for? Is it possible that, it was not long enough? The snake could have ate the mouse and got to a part that was still frozen, this can then send them into shock.Which leads to death.

CornsnakeKeeper
06-18-2002, 06:35 AM
I'm thinking maybe the same type of thing as abell said...

Littlewolf
06-18-2002, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU and really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. I have raised "all kinds" of critters but have never had one up and die on me like that. It makes you feel bad. I didn't think about taking it to our vet..I had buried it outside already. When I thawed the pinkie, it was for over 5 min. It was a day old size and I usualy BRAIN LET it for the scent, too. I didn't want to point fingers at anyone about the thought of the pinkie being the cause. BUT at the pet shop they groom dogs. When I buy their pinkies they would put a rubber glove on and handle them like that. When I went in this last time they came out from where they were grooming a dog at the time and didn't use a glove. I just thought maybe they still had like flea dip shampoo residue on their hands and it got on the pinkie. Who Knows....
Thanks Again!!!! LW :)

Doctor Mike
06-22-2002, 07:22 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. My snakes are members of my family, and I'm sure you felt the same way about your little one.

High rates of mortality in snake hatchlings is a fact of nature. Without a necropsy, it will be very difficult to determine the cause. Knowledge can help prevent future problems. Thus, I agree with the other recommendations for this if you can arrange and afford it.

The timing of the feeding and the remainder of the lump in the digestive tract would suggest a higher probability that something about the food or the feeding was responsible, but it doesn't prove it. If some toxic substance had gotten on the pinky without your knowledge, then the cause would be more certain.

I believe there is a table of recommended times to thaw different sizes of frozen mice somewhere on the Internet or in one of my books. I can't locate it right now. If someone can provide a link or post this information and its source here, we'd all be grateful.

I remember thawing frozen pinkies for 15 minutes inside a plastic bag immersed in warm water. You mentioned thawing for 5 minutes, and didn't say whether it was at room temperature or with warm water. Should you get another snake in the future--and we sincerely hope you consider that at some point--you might try thawing pinkies longer, as I do. I don't know that a partially frozen mass inside an outwardly thawed pinky can cause death, but the results can't be good.

In any event, do not be too hard on yourself. This happens with hatchlings, and more often than not it is not your fault if you are a caring owner, which you obviously are.

With sympathy,
Doctor Mike

bigpops22
10-07-2004, 11:06 PM
sorry buddy for your loss...that is really a sad case.

CAV
10-07-2004, 11:12 PM
"Rise from the dead and be healed!" So sayeth I.........

:roflmao:

I want a corn
10-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Is there a possibility he choked on the pink? :shrugs: Ver sorry about your loss...

Susan
10-08-2004, 09:28 PM
"Rise from the dead and be healed!" So sayeth I.........

:roflmao:

Hallelujah Brother!

I didn't think something this old could even be found by a cadaver dog, let alone be brought back to life!

MegF.
10-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Holy cow, you're right!! I didn't even notice the date!

Skye
10-09-2004, 11:03 AM
didn't know you were a Hindu, Meg ;)

Indyshark
10-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I lost the cutest little hypo the same way last year. I had five hatchlings in a boaphile rack. I fed them all the same, they had the same heat, set up, water etc and four are growing like champs. I have no idea why the hypo didn't make it but the breeder told me that even with a perfect setup some babies don't make while others do.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I was NOT happy when mine died.

MegF.
10-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh yis Skye. Thank you to be noticing.....and come again. Slushy anyone??

Krenna
10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Thank you to be noticing.....and come again. Slushy anyone??

"No Mr. Simpson, candy bars are not sprinkles.. No Mr. Simpson, gummy bears are not sprinkles. :grin01: :roflmao: