• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best way to grow fast without reducing lifespan?

Ok i got my corn about a week ago, hes about 6-8 months old, and prob about a foot long (12 inches). I want him to grow to as long as he can in a short amount of time. I have been feeding him a fuzzy every 4 days. Also i heard power feeding could lower the life span and i dont want to do that, is every 4 days power feeding? also some people were telling me its better to feed 2 fuzzies in one sitting and every week, then 2 fuzzies in seperate sitting in one week. Which ones true? Also what is the best way to make him grow fast but also healthy? And how much will he grow in a month?

Thanks in advance,

John

Yes, you are power feeding. This leads to a fat, unhealthy snake. It also increases the risk of regurges, which are potentially fatal.

Snakes mostly grow at the rate they are going to grow. I've personally had yearling at 30 grams, and others at 100 grams all fed on the same schedule

If you want to optimize the growth of your snake I would feed one appropriately-sized prey item every five days (until the snake is on adults, 180-200 grams, at which point I would switch to every seven days, and stop slitting) and I would slit the mouse about four to six slits down the back.

what do you mean slitting? im assuming you mean slit the mouse to release to smell, actually i do this, it seems like when i just drop the mouse in there, or dangle it in front of him hes not interested or scared. So i usually get a pair of scissors and cut a whole in the fuzzy's stomach to release to smell and get him interested, and it works! Any ideas how fast he should grow in a month, also how long should i wait to move up from fuzzys?

I mean cutting small slits just through the skin of the back. A study was done which compared snakes fed slit pinks to a control group and the results were conclusive: snakes fed slit pinks grow faster.

You can expect a snake to gain about 1/3 of the total weight of the prey from each meal.

The rule of thumb is feed a mouse the same or slightly larger than the diameter of the snake at the snake's widest part.

I mean cutting small slits just through the skin of the back. A study was done which compared snakes fed slit pinks to a control group and the results were conclusive: snakes fed slit pinks grow faster.

You can expect a snake to gain about 1/3 of the total weight of the prey from each meal.

The rule of thumb is feed a mouse the same or slightly larger than the diameter of the snake at the snake's widest part.

Thank you will do that!

i didnt know about slitting.. im going to start doing this with our babies i think!
thanks nanci

I used to slit the backs of my pinkies before offering them to my snakes.. here is a picture.

I'd like to note that I stopped slitting pinks because some of my females felt a little.. pudgy, and I definitely notice that my snakes are not growing up as fast as they were when I fed slit pinks..
snake096.jpg

There is actually evidence that a very dedicated past member compiled that points to Corns growing more with slit pinks!

Also, for fastest growth I would stick with The Munson Plan.

Back