PDA

View Full Version : Vegitarian or Stressed?

Vegitarian or Stressed?

ChiryokuOkami
06-13-2011, 07:01 AM
I tried to feed my month old corn (Remmy) a pinkie last night... and he didn't eat it... nor was he disinterested... oh no. He seemed to be making friends with it. I had some concerns that Remmy was too small but the store I bought the pinkie from said he wasn't. I've only had him in my house for 4 days. I'm worried about him not eating (can u tell I'm a brand new mom?). He is not in blue. Help please!

naruto
06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Hello,

I have been keeping a healthy corn snake for quite a while now and i am fairly experienced with them. From the post you made i would assume he is stressed. Its good to give any reptile a full week before attemtinp to handle or feed. Moving into a new enviorment is very stressful for a reptile, even if you do not notice it. Just let her relax alone and be a snake for now. Try feeding her 3-4days from now.

How are you preparing and offering the rodent?

ChiryokuOkami
06-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Its alive... I tried presenting it w tongs in a seperate box... then I was told I should try putting it in his cage so he would feel more comfortable. He seemed to almost be afraid of it when it was n the tongs. Its actually still alive this morning. :( I feel bad I think I've stressed him more because I've been handling him for at least a half an hr a day... which I thought he was enjoying.

naruto
06-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Oh ha ha ha! Make fun of that all you want, but the fact is even the simple thing as a one week adjustment period i know and its clear you don't... Laugh all you want but i guarantee you will get similar responses to mine.

I could have responded rude and got another one of those cool "infractions" but one is plenty enough. Just don't push me. You have a nice day!

BigByrd47119
06-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Its alive... I tried presenting it w tongs in a seperate box... then I was told I should try putting it in his cage so he would feel more comfortable. He seemed to almost be afraid of it when it was n the tongs. Its actually still alive this morning. :( I feel bad I think I've stressed him more because I've been handling him for at least a half an hr a day... which I thought he was enjoying.

Hey Okami,

Check out this thread, http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

I find it helps a lot of people that are having feeding problems. Yes giving a snake a week to rest before messing with it is the guideline, but you cant take back what has been done. I highly doubt any serious damage has been done anyways.

Wait 4 or 5 days with NO contact at all, other than changing the water. After that, give it a try again. Be patient and follow some of the suggestions in that above thread and you should be fine. If your still having issues let us know and we can explore more options.

(You might consider freezing that fuzzie in a baggie. Freezers kill them rather swiftly and there shouldn't be any real pain on the part of the pinkie. Its generally recommended by members here to feed frozen for a number of reasons. Once again, if you have questions, ask!)

Oh ha ha ha! Make fun of that all you want, but the fact is even the simple thing as a one week adjustment period i know and its clear you don't... Laugh all you want but i guarantee you will get similar responses to mine.

I could have responded rude and got another one of those cool "infractions" but one is plenty enough. Just don't push me. You have a nice day!

What the hell is wrong with you? Did you get lost? Your thread is located a few threads away from this one. Please, keep your childishness there so that those of us that have been avoiding it can continue to do so without random encounters with your obviously superior knowledge and wisdom.

starsevol
06-13-2011, 08:48 AM
If this were happening to me, this is what I would do....
first, freeze that poor pinky and put it out of its misery. It's cold and starving and doomed at this point and is only suffering right now.
Then buy some frozen pinks, they can be bought in bulk and thawed whenever needed, and there are many many good reasons to use thawed food.
Then hands off for 5 days to a week. Don't even look at your new baby (hard, isn't it?)
Then warm a pinky really really hot in hot water, and use brain it and put the pinky and the snake in a deli cup and in a warm dark place overnight. Maybe cover the deli with a towel. No peeking!!!
That should work, if it doesn't come back and we can go from there. OK?

Kali
06-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Don't be too worried yet Okami. Lots of people have had the same problems with new babies. There are some real good tips given and more to find in that link Bigbyrd gave you.
It's hard to leave a new snake alone (don't we all know it), but it's the best for him now.
Keep us updated!

Susan
06-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Dude, you have one serious chip on your shoulder! I see absolutely no reason for this post. The OP feels bad enough about possibly stressing Remmy out by the daily handling and the feeding tongs. No one was making fun of your post as it was very helpful. This one, however, is trash. I know you're a 21 year old living in NYC so you think you're all that and more and you need to treat people like you do. I hate to break it to you, you're not and you don't. The rest of the world isn't like NYC. You need to take the blinders off and take a real long hard look and realize the rest of the world likes to treat people with decency and respect and expect the same it in return.

starsevol
06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Dude, you have one serious chip on your shoulder! I see absolutely no reason for this post. The OP feels bad enough about possibly stressing Remmy out by the daily handling and the feeding tongs. No one was making fun of your post as it was very helpful. This one, however, is trash. I know you're a 21 year old living in NYC so you think you're all that and more and you need to treat people like you do. I hate to break it to you, you're not and you don't. The rest of the world isn't like NYC. You need to take the blinders off and take a real long hard look and realize the rest of the world likes to treat people with decency and respect and expect the same it in return.

Susan, it astounds me that I behaved well enough in that thread without incurring your wrath :) It was hard though, I tell ya!!

Cassie16
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Freezing a mouse won't result in a painless death! They're mammals; it probably feels the same way it would if one of us were frozen to death.

Oh please, don't freeze the little mouse. Suffocation via your corn snake would be a preferable end.

Sorry I didn't help you with your feeding problem at all. Good luck!

Shiari
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Freezing a mouse won't result in a painless death! They're mammals; it probably feels the same way it would if one of us were frozen to death.

Oh please, don't freeze the little mouse. Suffocation via your corn snake would be a preferable end.

Sorry I didn't help you with your feeding problem at all. Good luck!

Not so. Freezing to death is one of the most gentle ways to go, according to humans who have come very close to having that end. You go numb, and get very sleepy, fall asleep and die.

Pinks have almost no ability to thermoregulate, so they die very very very quickly when placed in the freezer. And they look simply like they've fallen asleep.

Pinks are not constricted by the snake first. They are eaten alive. That thin skin that doesn't keep in warmth is quite sensitive, and the corn is driving dozens of needles into it over and over. Then when it is inside the snake it is not only slowly suffocating, but getting to deal with stomach *acid* covering that thin skin, getting in those wouldn't, and going up its nose and in its mouth.

You can *hear* the pinky squeaking in pain/terror inside the snake. That is a horrible end. The freezer is much much kinder.

Dorgrim
06-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Like others have said, dont worry about it and save the mouse for later.
And like others are saying as well, freezing is probably preferable to starving or being swallowed alive.

You snake can go several weeks without eating. Dont try to refeed every day, wait about 4 days in between attempts and be relaxed about it. Also, try feeding just after dusk, and in a quite dark room. Remember you are HUGE compared to your baby snake and they might be very scared of you, the tongs and the mouse! Leaving the pink in the enclosure over night is also a good option if you cant get them to eat on the next try.

The biggest thing is to not get stressed out about it! With a new snake you should aways be very patient, quiet and calm. Try not to force the mouse into the snakes face and maybe, play with it in the tongs. Get the baby snake "into the chase".
I have a rat snake that will only eat if i pretend to put up a fight with the mouse (even though it is f/t)

Good luck! have patience and keep us updated :)
(also! never refreeze pinkies! they get mushy really fast and are pretty gross :P )

ChiryokuOkami
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Thank u all so much for your help. I'll leave him alone and come back in a week for an update.

naruto
06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Hey Okami,

Check out this thread, http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

I find it helps a lot of people that are having feeding problems. Yes giving a snake a week to rest before messing with it is the guideline, but you cant take back what has been done. I highly doubt any serious damage has been done anyways.

Wait 4 or 5 days with NO contact at all, other than changing the water. After that, give it a try again. Be patient and follow some of the suggestions in that above thread and you should be fine. If your still having issues let us know and we can explore more options.

(You might consider freezing that fuzzie in a baggie. Freezers kill them rather swiftly and there shouldn't be any real pain on the part of the pinkie. Its generally recommended by members here to feed frozen for a number of reasons. Once again, if you have questions, ask!)

What the hell is wrong with you? Did you get lost? Your thread is located a few threads away from this one. Please, keep your childishness there so that those of us that have been avoiding it can continue to do so without random encounters with your obviously superior knowledge and wisdom.

If you read my first post you see i tried to help. But then i was responded to as a joke, look at the post the op made after my first response. You see it so stop playing innocent fagg.

naruto
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Wtf 21? Lmao i'm 15 dude, i don't even remember the birth date or age i set. And i don't care if i lived in Canada. I only been down in NY for 2yrs, i basically grew up in panama city florida. So shut up thanks......:laugh:

naruto
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
ChiryokuOkami i am sorry for my post. When you said you we're sticking your snake with tongs i assumed you we're making fun of me and just bad mouthing me like everyone else because of my previous mistake. Sorry, as you can see in my first post i was really trying to help.

ChiryokuOkami
06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Whoa whoa. Naruto I'm not going to put up with homophobic remarks. I explained myself in a private message. You need to chill out and stop over reacting. Stop projecting your own fears of rejection at those of us here to learn and teach. There is no need for personal attacks. I was trying to handle your problem behind the curtain but I will not tollerate homophobic bs spewed from a closed minded drama queen.

ChiryokuOkami
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok better wording on my part. I have never touched Remmy with tongs. I was holding the pinkie with tongs because I was told Remmy wouldn't eat it if it smelled like me.

starsevol
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
naruto, I reported both of your posts and I hope your actions get you banned. You DO NOT EVER EVER call another member the "F" word in front of me, EVER.
Plus, Susan is not a "dude", she is a moderator here. Telling a mod to shut up is a very very stupid move.

This is THE best cornsnake site on the web. The best and brightest reside here. And you are well on your way to a permaban. Very sad for both you and your snake if that happens.....

Susan
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Wtf 21? Lmao i'm 15 dude, i don't even remember the birth date or age i set. And i don't care if i lived in Canada. I only been down in NY for 2yrs, i basically grew up in panama city florida. So shut up thanks......:laugh:

First, I am not a "dude". My name should make that perfectly clear. Second, since you registered all of 4 days ago as being 21, and now you say you are 15, you are a liar with a very poor memory. And third, telling a moderator to "shut up" isn't in your best interest if you have even the slightest desire to remain a member in good standing of this forum.

And I didn't catch that prejudicial remark until I read that post another time. Say "Bye-Bye!" to the nice people now!

kgmax1228
06-13-2011, 07:02 PM

This is why they should :laugh::laugh: be seen and not heard
"Dude" is Stoner lingo for whomever they talk to
i am sure his parents are proud of this monster they created
Falsifying his profile should be grounds to get him permanently banned

ceduke
06-14-2011, 02:54 AM
It's pretty common for a new baby to take awhile to adjust. Your little one can go a few weeks without food easily. I second the suggestions to freeze the pink, wait 5 or 6 days, and try again. If that doesn't work, there are a LOT of tricks to try for stubborn babies!

ChiryokuOkami
06-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I tried again using the deli dish. Still no luck. I went to the pet store and asked them about the snakes. The man there said I should probably bring him back because the person the store bought that batch from doesn't have a good reputation. So i don't know what to do... Do i keep trying or just take him back? I'm already quite attached to the little guy.

MysticExotics
06-24-2011, 07:39 PM
You said in your first post that the corn is a month old. Maybe the breeder never got it started eating in the first place. It would make it tougher for the buyer, with a baby corn, that has not started eating yet, then moved to a pet store, then to a new home. That's a lot of stress for a new baby snake.

As far as taking it back, is going to be up to you. It's possibly going to be hard to get this baby to eat, if it hasn't eaten at all yet.
If you decide to keep it & want to keep trying, let us know, but the biggest thing you will need to keep in mind, is *as little stress as possible* for a while. That means no handling, except for cleaning cage/water, & feeding. Do not offer food more than once every 5 days. (I would actually spread that out to every 7 days.)
A few other things you can try when feeding:
*Wash the pinky with dawn dish soap (domestic mice really stink, compared to their wild counterparts)
*scenting the pinky-with anoles, deer or asf bedding (used, dirty bedding), tuna, fish oil are some you can try-not all at once LOL

There's no problem with you taking the baby back to the store, if you decide to do that.
I know you're attatched to the snake. You may or may not be able to get the baby to eat.

Dee Dee
06-25-2011, 07:48 AM
:-off topic Sorry for the off topic question but i wanted to know did the 'dude' (i'll use his lingo lol) with the bad attitude get banned? I was totally appalled about the way he spoke to both the op and to susan amongst others! I know its easy to get into heated talks sometimes. when i first came here some people had a problem with how i usually type (text talk), i made an effort to change that as soon as the issue was raised (i may slip occasionally but i do try to use long hand instead of text speak) because i value the people here and the site itself and don't want to cause bad feeling with anyone. one person was a lil rude about it. I simply asked him to chill because i had rectified the issue, and lets face it it wasnt a big one really. Now i don't talk to that person/ post on his threads and he doesnt post on mine, sorted. I would NEVER have dreamt of personally attacking another member or a MODERATOR! what a fool! so did he get banned?

and back on topic... how is the young one doing? did you take him/her back? is he/she feeding?

starsevol
06-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Dee Dee, yes I think he did get banned, but I don't know for how long.
I'm one of the old codgers who doesn't like text speak. :)

Dee Dee
06-25-2011, 09:45 AM
:-offtopic your not an old codger for not liking text speak. ironically i dont like it either i just find it quicker. this site has been good for making me write proper english again lol. Thanks for replying to my question.

starsevol
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
:-offtopic your not an old codger for not liking text speak. ironically i dont like it either i just find it quicker. this site has been good for making me write proper english again lol. Thanks for replying to my question.

You are most welcome :)

ChiryokuOkami
06-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Today I traded Remmy for a much older and larger snake. She is a corn and from the posts i've read she seems to be a carmel. I'll be posting pictures of her asap. No name for her yet.

ChiryokuOkami
06-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Posted pictures of my new baby girl to my profile.

Shiari
06-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Caramel? No. Anery motley or Ghost motley? Yes.

Putty
06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Posted pictures of my new baby girl to my profile.

She's really pretty