PDA

View Full Version : Didn't eat, striked at me? Generally uninterested and trying to escape

Didn't eat, striked at me? Generally uninterested and trying to escape

Checkersthecornsnake
06-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Hey so I was feeding my corn today in a feeding tub as usual and he after putting the mouse in he usually takes about a half hour to get interested and eat. Although this time I spent over an hour trying to interest him, also cut 5 slits down the fuzzys back and even cracked his brain open as a last resort. This was a f/t mouse btw. Also after about 45 min enticing and zombie dancing I put a lid on the tub and gave up. I watched him for a bit he seemed only interested in trying to get put which he's never really done before, also after o let him sit for 15 min by himself and I came back and I was trying to zombie dance again and as I reached for the mouse he struck at me. So I figured he must be ready to feed so I left him alone and still nothing. After an hour and half in feeding tub I put him in his viv with the mouse in front of his hide. The mouse has been defrosted for 5 hours now and still nothing... Should I take it out or leave it overnight. Also he will go up to it smell it but never eat. I tried zombie dance again and nothing. Also this time I gave him a smaller fuzzy then Usual and waited an extra day from his reg feeding schedule. Any tips, opinions concerns?

Checkersthecornsnake
06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure if I mentioned, but he has fed every time for me and never had a problem since I got him

ceduke
06-15-2011, 01:51 AM
After 45 minutes of zombie mouse dance, he was probably quite stressed. I recommend waiting a week or so, then leaving him in the container with the mouse overnight. No dancing, just a mouse in an empty box. He can easily go a few weeks without eating, so don't stress, he'll get around to it.

jessicalb
06-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Throw the mouse out and leave him alone for a few days. After 3-5 days try with another fuzzy, slit, and nice and hot from hot tap water, and just leave it in his feeding tub with him. If his feeding tub is not opaque, cover it with a towel. Walk away and leave him be for 8 hours. He will almost definitely have eaten.

Only do that if your feeding tub is secure, btw. When I did this with my snake, we put him in a tiny paper bag and put that inside the viv so if he escaped the bag, he was still secure.

RavenSpirit360
06-15-2011, 01:57 AM
I agree... Throw the mouse away and give him about a week. Then leave him in the feeding container overnight with the fuzzy. The fuzzy being warm does seem to help attract them to it more as well.
Since he usually eats fine, I wouldn't worry too much. He can miss a meal, or a few, and he'll be fine.. Is is possible that he is getting ready to shed? Sometimes snakes that are in blue will not feed..

Checkersthecornsnake
06-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Ok sounds good, btw I just found a mosquito in his water dish! Is
It possible for a mosquito to contaminate the water and get him sick? Also for future reference how long after thawing does a mouse go bad?

Checkersthecornsnake
06-15-2011, 01:59 AM
I was thinking he might be in blue but after he striked at me I didn't want to pick him up till tomorrow so he can relax

jessicalb
06-15-2011, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't keep a mouse out for longer than overnight. I don't re-freeze or save refused food, just in case.

I sometimes want a king just to be a snakey garbage disposal. ;)

Warsco
06-15-2011, 02:56 AM
there is a good chance he could be getting reading to go in blue. when i have had problems with my snakes its either because they are ready for a shed or my food is un appealing.. i.e. old feeders that have been sitting in the fridge for a while or food bought at petsmart/co. after getting some freshies my snakes never hesitate

Dustilyn
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Ok sounds good, btw I just found a mosquito in his water dish! Is
It possible for a mosquito to contaminate the water and get him sick? Also for future reference how long after thawing does a mouse go bad?

I've been reading up on parasites and read that tapeworms can be contracted by dogs and cats swallowing mosquitos or eating animals that have swallowed mosquitos. I think it's more likely a snake would get tapeworm from eating a live rodent, but I suppose they could swallow a dead bug in their water dish. Stranger things have happened. :)

Ares2010
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Sounds like he's in blue or going in blue. My two corns don't eat when they are in blue so just leave him be for a few days.. see if he sheds and then after he does offer him another fuzzie.

Checkersthecornsnake
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Ah thanks for the info :D ya i just picked him up and his eyes are milky blue :D can't wait to see him shed for the first time, any ideas how long till he sheds?

Ares2010
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
If his eyes are already milky, it should be from four days to a week before he sheds his skin... some snakes are faster than others. Ares takes about four days while Aphrodite takes almost a week. Depends...

Ares2010
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Also.. when they are in blue and their eyes are clouded over like that, they can't see well and that's probably why he's striking at you.. he sees movement but has no idea what it is so is naturally protecting himself. Just leave him be with handling him until he sheds.. then offer him the fuzzie

Riyeko
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Ah thanks for the info :D ya i just picked him up and his eyes are milky blue :D can't wait to see him shed for the first time, any ideas how long till he sheds?

With my boa it took her three days to show even the slightest signs of shedding after her eyes went cloudy.
I had to wait an entire two weeks before she ate again (accumulated time).

So you might have to wait a bit.
Corns may be different and every snake is different to be sure, but that should give you a little idea on how long youll have to wait.
Plus, check in on him from time to time and try not to disturb him much so that you can see how well he sheds, sometimes snakes need help (so ive heard), so you should keep an eye out for that.