PDA

View Full Version : snake got out! HELP!

snake got out! HELP!

StarpphireEnigma
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
hi, this is about my husbands snake- shes about 23 inches long, is a docile spotted python, but a skilled huntress. i came home today to find her tank empty-the top pushed in by my cat- there was no sighn of struggle, ( she is a FAST snake) and my cat is acting like shes looking for her-
is there anyway we can hope to find her as quickly as possible? were tearing up the house as it is .
any and all advise welcome ( provided its not too cruel)
thanks guys :(

TheJadeReptile
06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I hear keeping a good eye on the cat is a good idea. Just look around her Viv. Look in bookshelves, Under appliances, etc. What type of room is she in? Bedroom? Living room?

Miqote
06-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I've also heard of sprinkling flour around the edges of the room if you have hardwood/tile floors, that way you can see where the snake has been/where its going.

StarpphireEnigma
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
where its been too? hmmm
well, i just set up her tank on the floor, with branches going in and out, warm light to atract, fresh water, and my hubby is going to get her a couple of hoppers to atract her atention as well- she is absalutly in love with my husband, so hopefuly that will help too.
unfortunately, shes in an open dining room with no doors- we dont know when she got out either, but it was in the last 6 hours or so.
i hope we find her ok, my husband would be heart broken.
ps, the cat is locked in the bathroom, the coldest, furthest room from the animals :P

TheJadeReptile
06-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I would let the cat out and watch her closely. Dogs and cats are the best at finding the snake for you. I would look ever where in your dining room, shelves, tables, and any small tight spaces she could probably fit through.

StarpphireEnigma
06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
my cat...is a pathetic hunter- unless its right infront of her, even then she could care less- and she doesnt eat anything either- just bats it around- so we have hopes that star is ok- just sad :(

StarpphireEnigma
06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
i mean we are sad

Stefanie
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
You don't want the cat to jump on the snake and drag her home, just sniff her out ;-) So let the cat out and watch where she goes, she might be able to smell the snake and find her for you to drag out of her hiding space.

Also, I've read that masking tape loosely dropped onto the floor around the floorboards can help trap the snake. It can be laid out with the sticky side on the top all straight along the sides of the walls or in a loose curly fashion, doesn't matter. If the snake slithers through it she'll get trapped in a ball of masking tape. DON'T use anything other than masking tape, as this will insure the snake. Masking tape however apperantly can be easily removed with lukewarm water though, so it's not going to harm the snakes skin. GOOD LUCK !!!

jessicalb
06-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Painters tape would probably work well, too. It's made to stick without damage or leaving marks or anything.

ceduke
06-21-2011, 02:38 AM
If you use the search function on this forum, you'll find a wealth of information and many many many many many many many threads on this topic. :)

StarpphireEnigma
06-21-2011, 07:23 AM
i got confused in the panic from my husband, so i did what was the quickest so i could get done and help him look. i did do some searching afterwards, but i just wanted some personal sympathy for my husband to see so he wouldnt be mad all day at everyone.
btw, thanks guys- we still havent found her, but were not giveing up !

dawn75801
06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Hang in there... mine escaped last Friday and he's not surfaced yet either... Hopefully they'll both come home soon!

StarpphireEnigma
06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
oh no! yeah, no sign yet- we got the hoppers to pee, so i used the urin to rub a little near the floor and her tank, placed her favorit branches up to a place she can get to the heat lamp and climb in and get some water ( mabe i should put a small dish of water out tonight outside her tank?) and weve kept the temp a little low ( 78 degrees f) so that she may be attracted better to her warm night lamp.
there are just so many places she could be- but after checking over the cat, im almost certain she did not hurt her, so shes probly just cozied up somewhere and exploring at night, haveing a grand ol time...until its food time in a day or two - hopefuly that will be her cue :)

Checkersthecornsnake
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
A suggestion for the future is if you keep your snake in a small room with only one door (like my bedroom) is to put a flap under the door so the snake cant get out and is closed off into that one room. Also try putting out a F/T mouse in a water bottle trap, how to make one is on this forum or google, it works so it goes in water bottle, eat and is too fat to get out.

StarpphireEnigma
06-22-2011, 07:35 AM
there is not door, just a wide space because it was a knocked out wall to make a dining room ( now a craft/animal room lol)
f/t ? i like the idea- ill try it! thanks :)

StarpphireEnigma
06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
current update:
day 3- still no sign- been letting the two hoppers make noise, pee, make all sorts of smells to atract her- doing a routine shes used to ( my hubby would scratch the top of the tank to get her attention for food)- have been tearing the house apart again- still nothing- on a positive note, cleaned the litter box, and there is no bones or scales to report @@
i think tonight we will try the bottle trap and masking tape- there are just so many places she can hide- but i just read the posts about a snake being lost in a CAR for 6 weeks- so i have hope :)
ps watching cat closely, but all she cares about are the crickets that get loose from my gecko :P

StarpphireEnigma
06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
still no sign- we tried the mouse/bottle trap and nothing. lowered temp of house and nothing. just want our baby back so bad- the waiting is killing my husband- we search the house everyday. i just hope she is ok and isnt gone for good- it would break my husbands heart and i cant have that :(

Stefanie
06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh no =( I really hope you'll find her soon, she's already gone such a long time =(

TheJadeReptile
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry that you still haven't found her. Check around the house and tell your neighbors. Have you checked under appliances?

Dee Dee
06-24-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you still can't find her. I would be tearing my hair out! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she comes home soon unharmed.

StarpphireEnigma
06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
my neibors too? hmm- i think they would throw a fit lol-
yeah, weve done apliances, shoes, electronics- and we sweep through the house everyday going through everything we did the day befor :(
is it better to look for them durring the day or night? shes a nocturnal snake

TheJadeReptile
06-25-2011, 01:00 PM
She is probably is the last place you would expect. Chest, bed, nightstand, bathroom, bedroom, etc. Have you tried the flour trick? Sometimes you will find what you are looking for when you least expect it. I am sure night would be better, because she would be out and about.

zmtab
06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
oh
i do hope you find your snake bless it 2 of my baby corns got out one was under the tv and the other was in the bathroom wrapped around the toilet roll holder

StarpphireEnigma
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
thanks guys- you give me hope :)
toilet paper roll holder?! lol

TheJadeReptile
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
oh
i do hope you find your snake bless it 2 of my baby corns got out one was under the tv and the other was in the bathroom wrapped around the toilet roll holder

That would scare the pee out of me, if I saw sunshine on a TP Holder. Good thing I would already be on the toilet. :laugh01:

Dee Dee
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
"That would scare the pee out of me, if I saw sunshine on a TP Holder. Good thing I would already be on the toilet." :roflmao:
Lol that made me chuckle. Can just imagine bending down to get the loo roll & there is a lil snakey head flicking it's tongue & giving you the 'do u mind look' lol.

SnakeAround
06-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Usually they are in the close proximity of the viv for about 3 day's, at least corns are.

StarpphireEnigma
06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
thanks guys- my husband though feels hopeless and i cant get him to have any hope :(

Dee Dee
06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
This is soo sad :( Every time I see a new post I keep hoping that it'll say you've found her & she's none the worse for her adventure.

StarpphireEnigma
06-26-2011, 08:44 PM
all i want to do is give the good news that we have- sorry to make you guys sad- but im greatful your here to listen and help:)
im going to do some serious cleaning while my son is in school this week- you never know what i may find- hope hope hope - if nothing turns up, well do the traps again ( bottle, tape) and spread flour. theres no telling where she is now.
im going to do some research and see what is common for this type of snake when this happens and let you guys know more as i do- thanks again ~heart~

StarpphireEnigma
06-27-2011, 12:27 AM
WE FOUND HER!!! i decided to move her tank, set it up, and looked down and decided also to use the flashlight and look about- then i got an idea- i looked between the back of the computer desk, peeled back the crappy bord, and there she was! lying on some books :) we are soooooo happy, my hubby thanked me, and all is well :) :)

Dee Dee
06-27-2011, 02:29 AM
That's awesome! :crazy02: I'm soooo happy for you. You can breathe a big sigh of relief now lol.

Stefanie
06-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh my goodness that was so scary! I'm so excited you got her back! I'm sure you slept better last night than you did in a while!

SnakeAround
06-27-2011, 08:56 AM
WE FOUND HER!!! i decided to move her tank, set it up, and looked down and decided also to use the flashlight and look about- then i got an idea- i looked between the back of the computer desk, peeled back the crappy bord, and there she was! lying on some books :) we are soooooo happy, my hubby thanked me, and all is well :) :)

Told you he woudl still be close :)

Awesome, I now how you feel!!!

StarpphireEnigma
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
thanks :) she was about two feet away @@ oh well, bet shes hungry :9 lol

StarpphireEnigma
06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
here is a reunion pic! when i said i found her, he said " your kidding! are you serious?" just all the worry poured out of him, and he cuddled with her for an hour :)

StarpphireEnigma
06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
oh, he was sassing her, but she was like, " i know you missed me !"

TheJadeReptile
06-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Congrats on finding her. I told you she would be in the last place you would think to look. ;D

Dee Dee
06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
"congrats on finding her. I told you she would be in the last place you would think to look. ;D"
:rofl: lol. Of course she would be in the 'last' place you'd look. You wouldn't find her & then keep looking would you? Lol.- That is a joke btw & by no means meant as a dig or meant to cause upset. It's just a little joke Lee Evans once told, & every time I hear that saying 'it's always in the last place you look' I think of that joke lol.

Once again I'm over the moon you found her. Weldone!

StarpphireEnigma
06-30-2011, 06:45 AM
lol your silly! thanks for the congrats- and just in time too, both our snakes are going blue :)