PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my corn ...

Worried about my corn ...

Iulia
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I got my corn in March. Since then unfortunately until the last few weeks I had to spend a lot of time on the road due to a very sick family member.

While I was away my friend fed and handled the snake, and I fed and handled when around.

The corn has never refused food, never regurged, and is pooping fine.

She is quite calm now when handled.

The thing that worries me is, since I have been permanently back home (about three weeks) I never see her out from under the hide. Never ever. Unless I take her out.

A couple of months ago she would leave the hide as soon as it got dark, and roam around the faunarium.

During a lot of March/April/May the house was empty. When I returned, I had a couple of guests who unavoidably had to stay in the room with the viv.

I also have a viv with two bearded dragons in the room (that my friend rescued and we are trying asap to rehome). I wondered if all of that was stressing the snake?

I checked the temps (again) tonight and they are 82oF under the hot side hide, and 72oF at the cool end.

She looks in good health when I handle her, and is eating fine. It just worries me she now will not leave the hide ...

Oh, I thought she was in blue, and she was, and shed last week. Ate fine before and after, but since then, still doesn't leave the hide ....

Am I right to be worried? Any ideas?

Thanks

bfreewally1
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Sometimes the just go on hunger strikes. I`ve had mine for 4 yrs and it takes a month or more for them to eat again. Just make sure it has water and not too hot. I beleive room temp is good enough for a corn snake.. I don`t use any heaters of any type. If its warm enough for me then its warm enough for them..

Nanci
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
I think a good part of that, two weeks, was her blue stage, and now is just coincidence. Maybe while you were gone there was nothing interesting going on so she got out of the habit of checking up on you in the evening!

bfreewally1
06-20-2011, 05:09 PM
My one corn is constantly out crawling around. The other one never comes out. Except when I`m sleeping to drink or to deficate.. Then right back in her hide. They all are different.. But going in blue or not they still sometimes go on hunger strikes..

Iulia
06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
No she is eating fine - never refused or regurged. She is about 40g and eating a combination of fuzzies and double pinks, depending on the confidence level of who is feeding her (I wouldn't have chosen to get a new pet and spend so much time away, but you can't predict these things).

She is bright eyed and seems fine when handled, I just worry it seems she spends the best part of 24 hours in the hide.

And I suppose because she never used to ....

crotalis40741
06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Ah to me just seems like a normal snake thing, eat then hide poop then hide and drink then hide. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some are naturally more active than others but for the most part mine are always hiding. Good luck with the snake and have a good one.

BigByrd47119
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Ah to me just seems like a normal snake thing, eat then hide poop then hide and drink then hide. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some are naturally more active than others but for the most part mine are always hiding. Good luck with the snake and have a good one.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Of the three corns I have, one I never see unless I take her out, one only starts perusing 2 or 3 days before feeding day, and the last I see daily. The last one likes to tuck his whole body into his hide and stick his head out like a dog might do with his dog house, too cute!

Iulia
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reassurance. I couldn't think it was normal for a corn to never leave its hide, but it seems it is :D