PDA

View Full Version : Don't think he likes me very much!

Don't think he likes me very much!

project1
04-10-2004, 11:17 PM
well, I came to clean out his tank this eavening and I guess I ticked him off, because he just curled up and started shaking his take and looked like he was trying to line up a strike. He is about a year old so I don't know how much handling he got throughout his young life... what do you suggest I do to calm him down? Cause I spilled some mouse water on his paper towel and I need to change it...

ronlina
04-11-2004, 12:08 PM
you probably just startled him. next time move very slowly around him and if you hsve to take him out, guide him to your hand and try to pick them up with as little force as possible. if he didn't have much handling before, he just isn't used to it yet. just be patient and after a while i think he should get to know you with short daily handlings or something.

Celestine8
04-11-2004, 04:00 PM
mine did that the first time I tried handling, coiled rattled, struck, flailed, bit. But the second time, he just freaked out for a few seconds when I grasped him/her, then bit. Third time, nothing. 4 time, flailed, but let me grasp and lift, rattled in my hands and bit but then mellowed out. It's just to try to scare you away and see if it's possible, but once you've let them know and handle them and don't put them down after they've bit or whatever, they calm down. A friend of mine owns a kingsnake and lets himself be so intimidated that he won't pick up his snake because all his snake has to do is bite and he'll leave it alone. But me and another friend can just reach in and pick it up without any problem. It's just because we don't hesitate and let the snake know that we're intimidated. Show it who's boss!! lol jk.

Acradon
04-16-2004, 06:45 AM
One of my two corns didn't seem to like me very much. She always was very hectic when I cleaned out the tank or checkerd her for skin rests after the shed. My fiance had no problem with her. Alas, now she escaped and I can't find her anywhere. Hope she turns up again. I liked her quite a lot.

Acradon

snake novice
04-16-2004, 03:12 PM
My normal female is now about 3 years old, and I have had her for 2 1/2 of those years. Ever since I have had her she doesn't like me. She coils up, rattles her tail, and tries to scare me away, but she has never bitten. I just move slowly so I don't startle her, and I put my hand right in front of her face. Usually she smells me and then calms down a little. She still dosn't like me picking her up though. Sometimes when I accidently scare her she really freaks out and nearly jumps at me.

My other male snake (same age) has never had a problem being handled. I can just reach in and grab him and he acts like he doesn't care.

I guess every snake has their own perosnality and some don't like to be handled no matter how many times you try.

CZ

Neumann
04-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Greetings,

Most snakes will calm down with regular 'gentle' handling. One of my snakes is getting better everyday but it's been a long six months to get her to calm down. The last time I fed her was the first time she didn't freak out when I picked her up to put her back in her cage.

I recommend you start handling your critter once a day for five to ten minutes for a week or two, and then add time in 5 minute increments as your snake will allow. I try to handle our snakes at about the same time of day as well. It's important to move deliberately and with confidence. If your nervous, your snake will sense it and it will make it nervous as well. Also, we leave our snake totally alone unless we're performaing herp duties or handling them.

The only caveat to this was something that I believe Chip Bridges stated to me (paraphrased), with the exception of a few "mental retards" most snakes will calm down as they grow older with some regular handling. Let's hope yours isn't a "mental retard". ;)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jason