PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Should I take my corn to the herp doc?

URGENT: Should I take my corn to the herp doc?

Peanut Lover
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Tonight was little Peanut's dinner night so I lifted up the rockcave that he was under to find him. I leaned the rock against the inside of the terranium. The rock is about the size of a dinner plate (it's pretty heavy) and Peanut is 17 inches and skinny (he is a baby still). I left the room to go get his food when I heard a loud noise. When I ran back in Peanut was smooshed underneath the rock and not moving.

Apparently it fell from leaning against the side and landed on him. I was so afraid that he was dead. Luckily, when I lifted the rock he shot out like a jet rocket and slithered behind the plants. Then he started freaking out trying to climb out of the tank. He was breathing harder than I have ever seen him. I picked him up and looked him over and he seemed fine once he calmed down.

I fed him and he took his food just fine. I am just afraid of internal bleeding or something? He is acting okay but does that mean that he is actually okay? Should I take him to a herp vet? I feel like such a bad mommy:headbang:

Miqote
06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
I think if he seems to be moving okay and he ate his meal I think he's probably okay. He was probably breathing hard from zooming around after getting a little squished! It sounds like you handled him before you put him away, so I'm guessing he didn't have any bumps or anything? I would just keep an eye on him over the next few days.

Don't feel bad, you are not a bad momma! One time I "squished" Emily with her full water bowl, which is very heavy, but she didn't care. Just as I was placing it in, she slithered underneath! She actually squishes herself under it all the time. When we pick it up we can see the little tunnels going underneath. I think they are pretty resilient to moderate squishes and falls, unless a sharp edge fell on him I think he will probably be okay!!

Peanut Lover
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Awwww my snake makes tunnels under the water bowl too! They are so cute! I guess that is true though...in nature they probably hide under rocks all the time. It was just scary. I've only had him 4 months and it is the first time I ever saw his life flash before my eyes:(

Jenber
06-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I'll just add to watch for the poo, if it comes out on time-ish and like normal then you're probably fine. (although I'm no expert, just a threads lurker)

Firefur
06-28-2011, 02:42 AM
keep an eye on him if there is any obvious dark discoloration (were he's white) that looks like bruising then i would take him in and have him x-rayed. we had one baby corn at work that shot out of a customer's hands and hit the floor, he was fine but two days later the little snow had a swollen black spot so he went to the vet it was just bruising and no big deal but if you start to see bruising or abnormal behavior or if you just want to be safe take him in.

Cassie16
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Those rocks can be freaking heavy! I get nervous lifting one of them up because it's hard to grip, and if it fell on Pan I would think it might do some damage. It could happen to anyone, though, so don't feel a bit bad. Hope he's ok!