PDA

View Full Version : B-12 success??

B-12 success??

Buzzard
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
So far this year, I have had 2 sporadic feeders and 1 non-feeder. The 2 sporadic feeders are nice and healthy looking(eating about every other week). The little ultramel female however has refused everytime. I did all the standard.. braining, tuna, head only, live, driving her around the block, lizard scent,you name it I tried it, except for B-12. So 2 days ago I went to the drug store and got a little bottle of B-12. I added about 5 grops to her little tiny water dish. Last night I pulled the smallest little pink I could find out of the freezer, brained it, added some reptile vitamins, and put her in the deli cup. I have been leaving them overnight(non/sporadic-feeders only) at every feeding so thats what I did. This morning I woke to find that the pinky was gone. "SCORE"!!! She finally ate. I was worried about this little one because it was going on 6 weeks and she was getting soooo small. She weighed in at 3 grams this past Saturday and her brothers and sisters are 7-10 grams each.

Now, was it the B-12, or was she just ready to eat? Either way, I am adding B-12 to non-feeders water from now on... Wanted to share the experience...

MysticExotics
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Sweet! I was wondering about that, because I'm having problems getting some of the Tessera clutch eating.
I know Vets will give a vit B12 shot to sick reptiles, & it's supposed to help give them a boost & be an appetite stimulator. I would not want to inject tiny little babies, but I hadn't thought of putting it in their water dishes. (I did try putting NutriBAC in their water, but that didn't work.
I will be pickins some up soon.
Thanks for sharing!!

sinisterserpents1
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Thats awesome. Would be very curious to see if this happens again. We can get almost all of our non feeders eating with lizard scenting pinks or other tricks, but seems there is always that one or two stubborn babies each season.... Congrats!!!!!

Buzzard
06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Sweet! I was wondering about that, because I'm having problems getting some of the Tessera clutch eating.
I know Vets will give a vit B12 shot to sick reptiles, & it's supposed to help give them a boost & be an appetite stimulator. I would not want to inject tiny little babies, but I hadn't thought of putting it in their water dishes. (I did try putting NutriBAC in their water, but that didn't work.
I will be pickins some up soon.
Thanks for sharing!!

I thought what the heck, it couldnt hurt. I had tried so many things.. the next step would of been euthanizing her so she wouldn't starve to death.

Thats awesome. Would be very curious to see if this happens again. We can get almost all of our non feeders eating with lizard scenting pinks or other tricks, but seems there is always that one or two stubborn babies each season.... Congrats!!!!!

I am curious if it happen again too. I lost my cpu (crashed)a few weeks back and it had a lot of my feeding logs and info. I have started a new way of keeping my records on the new cpu, and backing it up. I am adding a symbol for B-12. Hopefully over the next few seasons(like you mentioned always a couple stubborn babies), I can compare data to see if the B-12 is working on a regular basis.

OldDetroit
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I'll be trying soon. Thank you for sharing.