PDA

View Full Version : Status check - 04/11/04

Status check - 04/11/04

Rich Z
04-11-2004, 10:42 PM
This appears to be the peak of the breeding season around here. Getting about a 90 percent hit ratio when putting males with females. At least in my main room. My second room always runs a little bit later, even though it is brought up to temperature at the same time. Odd thing is, this room is dropped down a month later than the main room, so it is interesting to speculate that the biological reproductive clock may not start ticking when they come out of brumation as much as when they go into brumation. I guess this is a discussion for another day, perhaps.

My biggest problem is going to be where the heck I am going to put the eggs this year! I have snakes living in those shoeboxes in the rack where I have put the eggs in previous years. So this is going to be interesting, to say the least. And last year I had egg incubating boxes everywhere it was possible to put a shoebox! I have a bunch of new shoeboxes on the way to me, but where in the world I'm going to stack them is another issue completely.

Undoubtedly I am going to have to move out a lot of adults this coming year. I have an uncomfortably large number of animals that are going to need larger cages come breeding season next year, and there is just no other option left but to move older animals out. I may even have to prematurely terminate some projects in favor of others I think will be more interesting to me.

Anyway, a couple of new projects will be bearing fruit this year, so keep your eyes on my photo gallery come July. Might see some interesting looking little jewels showing up there every now and again.

Much of the 2003 stock is sold out, but a few things still remain. I am expecting a banner year of 2004 animals this year, so be thinking about what you want to get this year and consider getting on the list for them. Some of the things I am breeding are influenced by the number of orders I have been getting. So it's entirely possible that I will cut the numbers back on those cultivars that do not appear to be good sellers. And I may wind up bulking out a lot more stuff this year to the wholesalers to give me some more time off during the winter months. So the supply will likely dry up much quicker this year than in years previous, if I have my way about it.

Thanks for the business and support you have all given me over the years. It is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Walter Smith
04-12-2004, 05:59 PM
How's it going? Good I hope.

I tell ya one I would like to see now, that's the Hypo Pewter you posted a year or two ago. I'm really curious to see how that one turned out.

Hope to see it soon !!

Later man,
Walter

Kat
04-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I seem to recall hearing that that one died. That having been said, it would be nice to see yearly updates on all the weird and interesting ones that Rich posts. (Not that he has the time, but it would be nice...)

-Kat

Rich Z
04-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I think I have two Hypo Pewters from last year that seem to be doing fine. Plus several other gems. Boy, I sure wish I had the time to take photos of everything whenever the thought came into my head, but so much of my time is spent on things that don't feel very optional.

And to be honest, sometimes when I can squeeze in some optional time, I just may choose to do something completely unrelated to snakes and the internet. I may just decide to haul a rifle down to my shooting range and punch holes in paper for a couple of hours. I find that very relaxing and it does help to clear the cobwebs a bit.

But who knows? I did take the time to snap photos of those Lavender BloodReds (or whatever you want to call them) a bit ago. So maybe I will have the camera handy the next time I stumble on those Hypo Pewters. Now THAT is a name that definitely needs changing!

Walter Smith
04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
....In my opinon, Lavender Bloodred is what I would call a homozygous animal showing the traits of Lavender and Bloodred at the same time. After all, I know what a Bloodred is. It's in most ALL of the books and anyone who reads them can easily learn that.

Hope to see the Hypo Pewters soon.

So, you thinking a change on Hypo Pewter or just Pewter in general?:confused:

Rich Z
04-12-2004, 08:55 PM
"Hypo Pewter" just sounds hokey to me. Maybe I should resurect that name "Pepper Corn" that I played around with for a while. I guess it would fit, maybe. Or is there another metallic oriented name that would be more fitting?

But the more I think of it, probably the better it would be that I wait until I have full adults around here before pondering a name for them. I still have scars on my butt from the Mocha/Lavender thing a while back.....

Walter Smith
04-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I would wait for full blown adults. It may make it a little easier to come up with a good discript name.

Just curious Rich, have you had any thoughts on a name for Hypomelanistic Lavenders?

I know it took a while for "opal" to come along.

Walter ;)

Walter Smith
04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
....those two I recently got from you are doing fine. You were right, that male is a looker !!!

Rich Z
04-12-2004, 11:27 PM
The problem with the Hypo Lavenders is the "Hypo" in them. I am not sure which line is which in there, or even how many might be combining together. There is such a dramatic difference between the best and the worst looking ones that something odd is obviously going on. So I'm real reluctant to even want to coin a name for something I am not sure about the ability to reproduce them relatively consistently. I mean, I have produced clutches where there were three different types of "Hypo Lavenders" in a single clutch. All obviously lighter in pigment than typical Lavenders.

Then there is the problem that up until 2003 I NEVER got a female Hypo Lavender that looked even half way as nice as the best males. So what happened in 2003 that was different? And why in those particular clutches was every single Hypo Lavender a female? I feel like Murphy's Law is mocking me....

This year I have a bunch of Hypo Lavenders that I am breeding, so maybe I'll know more (or more probably, less) than I do right now.

I guess I have learned to be rather cautious about thinking I know what I am doing.....

Kat
04-12-2004, 11:45 PM
I've heard rumors that hypo lavs are being called 'plasma' corns over in Europe... While I'm not sure if I like the name 'plasma', I think it's heads and tails better than cotton candy.

-Kat

Hurley
04-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Yes, please don't go with 'cotton candy'.

:p

StephenRoylance
05-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't like the name Plasma for Hypo Lavs cause it doesn't fit. I was thinking of calling Lavender bloodreds "Plasma" corns, because it fits, and everyone I talk to agrees.
Rich, that is a good idea calling Hypo Pewters "Pepper Corns".:D

Stephen Roylance

Kat
05-24-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm still voting for Amethyst for hypo lavs. It's one of those gemstone names (like Opal), and implies some variation within the morph...

-Kat

snakerake
05-24-2004, 06:23 PM
hum sound confusing.

Susan
05-26-2004, 05:29 PM
"Amethyst" should be reserved for the lavender bloodreds since the one pic I saw was of a basically purple snake, just like an amethyst. As for another name for the hypo lavs...I'll have to think on it. Personally, "hypo lav" sounds just fine with me, easy to say and completely describes what it is.