PDA

View Full Version : In the pet store there was more than 1 baby corn snake per cage...thing

In the pet store there was more than 1 baby corn snake per cage...thing

Pepper
07-05-2011, 10:17 AM
is that normal..??? My dad and I both found that disturbing that there was atleast 3 1 week old corn snakes in a tiny little aquarium (its atleast a 4 gal. tank) .. I just wasn't really supportive of that..that's all.. Is that healthy for them...and they all looked tiny tiny...I think there was more.. It was at petsmart.. but yea.. just worried that is all.

Triple M
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
It was like that at my petsmart but hatchlings usually are ok with each other. Only when older to they pose a threat to each other.

Pepper
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
oh okay thankyou :) just wanted to make sure <3

Darcpixie
07-05-2011, 11:25 AM
There is a chance of cannabilism at any age. Many people have success with keeping corns together, but there is always a risk.

Look up co-habbing for pictures.

starsevol
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Personally, if I saw that I would RUN, not walk to the nearest exit.
Just another of the dozens of reasons I would never purchase an animal from a pet shop.....

ceduke
07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
It's absolutely not true that hatchlings aren't a threat to one another. Cohabbing is a common practice at pet stores though.

toxiclight
07-05-2011, 05:36 PM
It's fairly common practice for pet stores to co-hab snakes. Our local petshop does it. I've talked to the reptile manager any number of times, and yes, he advises people to not co-hab their animals. But pet stores have limited space, and operate from a profit perspective, which means the most stock in the least amount of space.

VickyChaiTea
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Actually, cannibalism is MORE likely to happen when they are young. Many pet stores keep multiple snakes per cage, and sometimes even mix species. While this may or may not be detrimental right away it really does take it's toll over time, and can be deadly.

Firefur
07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
According to everything i've read hatchlings are more of a threat to each-other then juveniles or adults of the same size.

Naagas
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
That is just the norm for pet stores.
Occasionally they loose a couple snakes to cannibalism or stress, but they sell the snakes at a price where they make up for that.
For example, a breeder will sell a classic or snow to the store for $5-10, then PetsMart sells it for $50-65, plus all the accessories you buy.

snakemom1961
07-08-2011, 11:47 AM
It is sad to see that in pet stores. We have a great shop near me who doesn't co-hab any of their snakes. The sub adults are placed in display cages and the babies are in deli cups with bottle caps for water and a specially built case the cups are kept in. Is it the most ideal way to keep them? Probably not, but I do believe it is a far better way then to have several babies all together in one tank.