PDA

View Full Version : Escaped Snake!!!

Escaped Snake!!!

aklferris
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, I feel sick. Barely into my snake-keeping hobby, my snake has escaped. You can see how small he is here: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113375

I had him in a 10gal aquarium. I bought a wire mesh lid at Petsmart, along with clips. I couldn't get the clips under the rim of the lid, so I bought another type of clip at Petco. Those didn't work either, so I bought some fancy locking ones online (made by Zilla). Those never had a chance to arrive.

I'm really kicking myself b/c I had to unplug the heater while waiting for a thermostat to arrive in the mail (the one recommended in the link above). It, too, didn't have a chance to arrive. My guess is that the little guy/gal wanted to find a warmer spot to hide.

Anyway, the biggest issue now is that he/she could be anywhere, my place is a disaster, and it's difficult for me to go through everything b/c I have a bad shoulder. I will have to pay careful attention to my dog - maybe he will lead me to the snake.

Sincerely,
Disgusted in KC

AliCat37
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Check along the walls, they typically will follow those. Try placing really small cardboard boxes (just big enough for him to get his body into in the corners. I lost a hatchling a few years ago and she was found in the kitchen. When my yearling corn got out a few months ago he sadly ran into my cats :( make sure you keep an eye on the dog! That is an excellent idea on tracking down your little guy. My cats lead us to my snake, but it had been too late. Other than that, try picking up things on the floor and make sure he's not hiding in anything. Don't forget to check shoes! My friend lost a baby ball python and found him in his boot :)

Best of luck!!

aklferris
07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks AliCat for the quick response. I like your idea of boxes in corners. I will see what I can come up with for that. After reading this page: http://www.anapsid.org/escapedsnake.html, I've decided to cut some holes in a 20oz pop bottle, but a pinkie mouse in it, and place in on my kitchen floor w/ flour poured around it. I will set this up once I have my dog in the kennel for the night. Hopefully I will manage to wake up every hour or two and check on things. He last ate 1 pinkie on July 1st, so I hope he's hungry and will sniff things out.

Stefanie
07-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Yikes! Good luck finding him, I hope he's hiding somewhere close!

AliCat37
07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
That is also a good idea! When I lost my yearling the breeder I had bought him from suggested laying blue painters tape, or double sided tape, along the walls and along doorways. That way, he may get stuck and you can find him in the morning- I'd just worry about the dog. If you close all the doors in your house over night and lay flour along the door ways you can also wee where he is moving to. I really hope you find him, I know how hard it is to lose a good snake!

AliCat37
07-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Also, when you do find him, don't even bother with the aquarium clips. I always used duct tape to hold my lids down, or really heavy books! Eventually I moved my snakes into plastic tubs, and later Showcase Cages.

Stefanie
07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Also, when you do find him, don't even bother with the aquarium clips.

Why? are the clips not working well?
(I haven't set my tank up completely yet, and am wondering - because that's what I was planing to use lol!)
Seems to be that duct tape is more of a hassle than 4 clips?

Ferris: there are a lot of threads here on the forums that are full of good advice about what to do / where to look if your snake escapes. Do a search, maybe some tips will work for you. Again, GL finding the baby

aklferris
07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, I've placed a few small boxes in corners w/ some of the snake's substrate. Until yesterday, I had a F/T pinkie in a small box w/ flour poured around it and I poured lines of flour across doorways. I've checked the flour and hiding places I set up during the night and each morning. I haven't seen any traces of my beloved snake.

Once again, I do have a LOT of stuff in my apartment, mostly from college and grad school days. I have been going through things in hopes of finding the little creature, but I'm not convinced that it's going to help.

Here's my next plan:
A pet store owner suggested that I buy a small mouse and put it in a small cage (I have a "critter keeper" type of cage already). He said the snake may get hungry enough and search out the mouse. Since the snake couldn't get to the mouse, the snake may coil up near the mouse's cage at stare at it, giving me the possible opportunity to find the snake.

What do you guys think of this idea?
I'm almost certain the snake has never eaten a live mouse, but I'm guessing the snake would recognize the mouse scent since he eats F/T mouse pinkies.

grankin01
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I read either on here or another forum that you could leave your "traps" in place, thaw a pinkie, and drag it down the sides of the floor where the wall meets going up to the traps. Start maybe a few feet in front of them. The snake may follow the scent to them and curl up for you to find later safe and sound.

As the others have said best of luck and keep hope. I'm sure your baby will turn up. :)

aklferris
07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know how long a mouse can comfortably live w/o water?
I am thinking about getting the mouse and returning it to the store in 2 days if it doesn't work.

Pstendardo21
08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I have also lost a corn snake in my house. I have placed baby powder in all entry ways and along multiple walls. I have glue traps and duct tape along many other walls. I bought three live mice and put them different rooms with traps around them. The house has been mostly empty and there is no sign at all. Could he still be in the house. It is about 88 to 90 degrees in the house. What does anyone think? My concern is my new 10 month old baby and the snake getting around her neck.