PDA

View Full Version : feeding advice

feeding advice

ZiggysMom
07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I have a rather poor feeder I would appreciate some advice for. This is a 2010 lavender male that weighed just over 16 grams six weeks ago. (He has been a poor feeder from the start, 16 grams was actually a weight gain for him.) The last 5 weeks he has been on a hunger strike. Before the hunger strike he would take a slit small pinky every 7 days and was starting to gain weight. Even if offered two he will only eat one. Last night I finally got him to take a small pinky head. Behavior pretty normal, accept for the not eating part. Physical condition still ok. My question is how would you go forward with his feeding to get him on a better track? Another head in 5 days? Another head in 7 days? When to start to increase the size of meals again? Anything to help this little one start to thrive. Thank you for any ideas.

Nanci
07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
What if you try him on a similarly-sized rat part? I would try a pink head in three or four days. Actually, I'd put a pink cut into thirds in with him- maybe if he eats one part he'll just keep going. A bunch of my 2009's and 2010's just got off hunger strikes. Maybe it's just seasonal.

jessicalb
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM
If it were my snake I would push feedings closer together for a while, to get some weight on him. Maybe every 5 days? Anyone else have thoughts on that?