PDA

View Full Version : Shedding, etc

Shedding, etc

Rubix
04-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I posted here awhile ago concerning some injuries sustained by my corn... (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11093) but now he seems to be having other problems :( Just worries right now, and I'm not sure how much worry the stuff actually warrants... lol.

I'd been leaving him alone after the injury, not picking him up or handling him so as not to stress him out, he was feeding and moving around fine. However, I failed to notice when he turned 'blue'. When he started to shed it came off in patches just around his upper body (couldn't tell from the pieces or by looking at him if head/eyecaps had shed), so I gave him a soak and a humid hide -- however it didn't seem to help much. This was about a week ago, give or take a few days. I know the shedding process can take awhile, especially after what he's been through, but when should I seriously start to worry about this? And is there anything else I can be doing to help?

One other thing, lately when I've been reaching into his tank to take him out, he seems to get really nervous until I pick him up, and he'll kind of... puff out air really fast, which will make a distinct whistling sound... That's the only time I hear it. I know respitory issues can be a big problem with snakes, should I be concerned?

Alex Dew
04-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Get a damp warm cloth and let slither through your hands while holding thew cloth. Have a go doing that.

He is proberly nervous because you havn't been handling him latley because of him indury.

Alex

iluvsammy
04-19-2004, 05:47 PM
I have an albino and he had some difficulties shedding awhile back...his tail hasn't been shedding properly for about two or three sheddings or more. Now that my brother attempted to rub the excess skin off, i think he took to much off. Now it is black and appears to be falling off. what in the world am i supposed to do??? please help!:confused:

Ken Harbart
04-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by iluvsammy
I have an albino and he had some difficulties shedding awhile back...his tail hasn't been shedding properly for about two or three sheddings or more. Now that my brother attempted to rub the excess skin off, i think he took to much off. Now it is black and appears to be falling off. what in the world am i supposed to do??? please help!:confused:
Your corn is going to lose its tail. By letting the shed skins build up like that, they reduced the circulation of blood.

What you can do now is wait for the necrotic tissue to fall off, and keep an eye out for systemic infections. Taking the snake to a qualified herp vet would be a good idea.

What you should have done is not let the shed skin build up like that. Poor husbandry has caused that snake a good deal of pain as it's tail slowly died, and it could also cost it its life. The rubbing of the retained sheds by your brother did no harm to the snake, as the harm was already done... he merely uncovered it.