PDA

View Full Version : going out of town the 8-20th

going out of town the 8-20th

Firefur
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Hay all i'm going out of town the 8th - the 20th. i'm taking the hatchlings with me, allong with my bearded dragon Gwen, but i was wondering if my four older snakes would be okay on ther own for a little over 2 weeks. the snakes are 1000g, 150g, 156g, 165g each i was planning to leave them with a lot of water and give them all a large meal, probably a rat, and 3 extra large mice. all of their enclosures are on timers so thats not an issue
any ideas? is it safe to leave them that long?

Lennycorn
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
They should be fine just giving them the usually size meal with extra water. Corns are known to go off feed for months at a time. I don't like the idea that your traveling with the hatchling. Don't you have anybody that can keep an eye on them for you?

Firefur
08-04-2011, 06:37 PM
sadly no. the only person i would trust is gone as well. the hatchlings are in little deli cups and are going to be put in a small section of my back pack hopefully the train ride from arcata to san diego will be okay for them i have one person left i can ask to watch them but i cant get a hold of her.

susang
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't think I would feed them right before I leave, if there is a regurg or something and you aren't there, could be problems. Given the heat and temp inside a backpack I wouldn't travel with hatchling like that either. Last time I took a train they checked through baggage.

Janome
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
The older one should be fine. I've left mine for 7-10 days before an they were all ok. My room mate was home at the time but wanted nothing to do with my snakes. :) There are times my ghost corn will go on a fast for couple weeks at a time an was fine. I have a jungle carpet python adult that goes on hunger strikes for 6 months at a time. However, I agree with everyone on traveling with hatchlings. Seems it would be to hot for them in a back pack, an what if security on the train discovered them??Would they take them? Just some thoughts. ;)

Em Wright
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Your hatchlings will be fine at home with the bigger snakes. Feed them a few days before you leave, make sure they digest okay, then go on your trip and have fun. With extra water they should be just fine.

They're safer at home, really they are.

Buzzard
08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I would be scared they might poop in the water and go too long without water....thats a tough one...

Em Wright
08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
If you could get someone who would just come and check their water every couple days while you're gone. They wouldn't have to do anything with the snakes, just make sure they had water and if they didn't, add more.

KingCrimson<3
08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
If you feel like you absolutely have to bring the hatchlings (though i would recommend that you leave them) I would absolutely invest in a cooler or insulated pouch to help regulate temperatures. Traveling and not having an appropriately heated, regulated enclosure can be really hard on a baby, perhaps even harder than being left alone. I would leave everyone home and make sure before you leave that everyone has two relatively deep water dishes so that the water will not evaporate and maybe even turn the heat on the thermostat down to 80F to keep the water from evaporating too quickly.

kaypar2011
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I am going on vacation for a week starting on the 13th. I have a 2010 Anery and an adult Miami Phase. I am going to feed them both tomorrow, so they will have time to digest before I leave. They poop soon after feeding so the water should stay clean while I am away. I am going to turn the heat off on their viv's and turn house thermostat on 78. They both stay on the cool side of their viv's anyway, so temp should be fine. They will both have 2 water bowls in their viv's. I would not dream of taking them with me, too many risk factors.