PDA

View Full Version : Will Live Eater Switch to F/T?

Will Live Eater Switch to F/T?

critter girl
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I've been offered a 3' corn snake -- a nature center needs to find a new home for it. It has always been fed live mice. But I *love* mice and would have to feed it F/T. What is the likelihood that I can get this sweet snake to eat F/T?

MysticExotics
08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
IMO, they can be switched to f/t. I know of WC adults that switch to f/t. It might take some time.
It's easier to switch younger snakes, but adults can be switched.
You will be taking a chance, you may be able to switch the snake to f/t, but if you can't get it to switch, what are you going to do?

Jdog3131
08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I would say(not knowing much of this subject having only 2 snakes eating F/T)it is pretty high but you never know so if you get the snake and it doesnt take F/T the snake is then in your resposiblity.
And may I ask why the center is getting rid of the snake, and why you?(i dont mean to be mean but this being your first post i am guessing it would be your first snake ,correct me if im wrong)

Nanci
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I would guess you have a 95% chance of switching him to FT. I would bring him home, not feed for two or three weeks, then offer a FT hopper or weanling, 100 degrees hot, blown dry with a blow dryer. I bet he eats.

Outcast
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I got a (best guess) 7 1/2 year old corn snake that was always fed live. She switched immediately over to F/T, no problems.

critter girl
08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks evryone!

girlundertherainbow
08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Corns are generally pretty easy, even older fed live only. I'm with you love rats .mice..Have a variety
Of snakes, all on live. NOT all were fed live bfore . I think 99% of snakes WILL take live, u may just have
to work harder on some.

cornsnake_king
08-14-2011, 01:17 AM
i would like to know what everyone thinks about feeding newborn corns all the help i can get would be appreciated thanks
cornsnake_king

critter girl
10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I dicided not to adopt this snake because i dident want to take the change that it wold not switch. However I got a baby motly albino corn snake from Petsmart that was used to eating f/t pinkies. It is helthy and a good eater and doing great!

cornsnake_king
10-07-2011, 01:43 PM
all of mine are on f/t at least 2a week

helifreak
10-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Learning how to do the zombie dance is the secret (or at least it is a fun way to participate in the feeding process)... I am still practicing the technique - as one of my corns is not at all fooled and never constricts the zombie dance pinkie... she just slowly grabs it with her mouth and drags it to a safe spot to start the feeding process. I guess they know the difference between F/T and live...

Shiari
10-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Heli, most snakes don't constrict pinkies... even if they're alive. The constricting usually starts at the fuzzy/hopper stage.

cornsnake_king
10-09-2011, 01:48 AM
i force fed ,i have 6 out of 18 left will see if they will eat on there own now.