PDA

View Full Version : Just ate and a stuck shed?

Just ate and a stuck shed?

xStaticSnow
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
First of all I think I have (hopefully) gotten my snake to permanetly switch over to F/T mice. He's eaten 3 meals of F/T now.. the first was a hopper then he went of food for a few weeks but I let him throw his little hunger fit. Then I got him to eat a large F/T fuzzy (he was in blue and wouldn't eat anything else, but I though what the heck and offered it to him and he took it pretty quickly). About 2 days after that his milky eyes cleared up and 5 days after he had eaten the fuzzy (which was far too small for him) I offered a small F/T adult mouse (correct size meal for him) and he took it immidiatly and with gusto lol... I guess he finally realized it doesn't pay to be snooty and picky..

I then realized that was probably a dumb thing to feed him before he had shed but sometimes I can be dumb... I let him stay in his feeding tub for a while with the lid on so the mouse could settle down in his stomach and when I opened it up to put him back in his tub he had started shedding :uhoh:

I put him in the viv and he started crawling around and then I realized his shed was shredding. His last shed with me was a bad one and I had to let him soak a little while before the rest would come off.. but I can't do this because he's digesting! lol So anyway, I've left him in his hide for about 40ish hours now and I didn't see any shed skin anywhere last night so I'm assuming it's stuck... is it safe for me to soak him tonight since it's been close to 48 hours? Are there any dangers from him retaining the shed for an additional 2 days? He did get his eye caps off and the skin from the top of his head and neck but that was all

Thanks!

bitsy
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
If you want to delay a bit longer, put a humid hide in with him - he can use it until you feel it's safe to soak him again without risking a regurge.

xStaticSnow
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
He has a humid hide but he doesn't like it in there! He is the weirdest corn snake I swear... he pretty much never comes out of his other hide.. ever. Once in a while I'll catch a glimps of his nose but that's all.

I've been misting his cage so I hope that's kept the humidity up enough

Nanci
08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
That just happened to me! I would wait 48 hours, then soak him.

Nanci
08-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I would also mist his viv lightly, now.

xStaticSnow
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Okay sounds good I was planning on doing that anyway (: I've been misting and I also placed a small bowl of water on the warm side so I was hoping some of it would evaportate and keep the humidity up a bit

xStaticSnow
08-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Well I came home to a newly shed corn snake and he looked pretty happy with himself lol

Nothing like a good meal and a change of skin