PDA

View Full Version : baby feeding issues

baby feeding issues

deadriel
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
About a month and a half ago I bought a candy cane corn snake from pet smart. I've done my best to follow all recommended procedures, put it in its home and left it alone for over a week. Then thawed and warmed a pinkie and left it overnight. No luck, so I've tried again every 7 days. The only change I've noticed is its interest in the food has increased but no eating. Even tried braining without success.

Temps in the cage are mid 70s on cool side mid 80s on warm side, humidity stays between 40%-60%. Snake seems to be following its normal routine hides most of the day very active at night. I'm wondering if its in a shed cycle I've noticed dulling and slight darkening of its color also its been rubbing its nose on things every now and then. One last thing it has two dark spots inside it that are slowly moving toward its tail. So I'm thinking its either shedding and or hasn't passed its last meal yet. But since this is my first snake I wanted some educated input, apologies for the long post and thanks in advance :)

deadriel
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Correction 2 and 1/2 months

Susan
08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Have you tried a live pinky, washed pinky or scented pinky? Where are you feeding your snake - in the tank or in a small container like a deli cup? Have you tried tease feeding? Don't give up and try everything possible. With luck, you'll find what your hatchling wants to eat.

deadriel
08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I've tried all those methods so far except for the live pinky

deadriel
08-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Just an update, haven't tried to feed since my last post but the plan for tonight is to warm up a pinkie and offer it. Still no further signs of shedding except a little skin poking up off the snout. I have however just noticed a little stool on the substrate two places and very small maybe the size of a bb... what has really caught my attention is now the snake has a long dark spot just before the vent that wasn't there upon my last inspection. Getting very concerned as we're approaching the three month mark now with no shedding or feeding, if tonights feeding is unsuccessful I'm scheduling a vet appointment tomorrow...