PDA

View Full Version : Quick question, 2 or 1 ?

Quick question, 2 or 1 ?

Aaron1994
08-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Just a quick question on feeding. If my corn snake expresses interest in eating 2 food items shall I prepare another for her to eat? some times when she eats 1 she sits at the viv staring at my motions moving her head with me and keeps smelling the paper towel I place the food item on she lingers there for about 2-3 minutes than goes under the substrate to digest. But is she showing that she could eat another?

atmox
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Corns will express interest in mice till they die eating them all. They are opportunistic feeders so you should decide what amount to give her. 1 mous is probably just fine, overfeeding is worse than underfeeding. :)

Aaron1994
08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, its just that the new food i got for her is quite small. The breeder i normally buy from is a hour drive away and this time I got it from a pet store... huge expensive mistake. About 2 of those mice i bought from the store are about the equivalent size of 1 of the pinky rats I get her. The thought of maybe 2 came to my mind since its about the same size

atmox
08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, its just that the new food i got for her is quite small. The breeder i normally buy from is a hour drive away and this time I got it from a pet store... huge expensive mistake. About 2 of those mice i bought from the store are about the equivalent size of 1 of the pinky rats I get her. The thought of maybe 2 came to my mind since its about the same size

oooh 2 pinkies is fine.

SnakeAround
08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
If you have to feed considerably smaller, you can feed two. But it won't hurt to just feed one smaller now and then, since I don't think most people feed on the minimum level of how much you can feed.

MotleyCrue
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
About 2 of those mice i bought from the store are about the equivalent size of 1 of the pinky rats I get her.
If you feed her rat pinks, you should switch to mouse fuzzies. Rat pinks are mostly bone and rats in general have more fat content. Mouse fuzzies have more nutritional value, with less bone and fat.

And yes, Cornsnakes will gorge themselves to death. Look for the food "bump" in your snake to disappear within 2-3 days. If it does NOT, your feeding too much. If it disappears too quick, your feeding too little. Just my .02.

:eatsmiley