PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard almost constantly in blue

Blizzard almost constantly in blue

Stygian Faerie
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a male blizzard, he's about 3 years old and is almost constantly in blue. I bought him in April from someone off RFUK and he's shed 5 times already and is in blue again. He shed 2 weeks ago... He's an incredibly shy, and has had problems shedding in the past, especially under his chin. I've given him a box with moist sphagnum moss but I still end up having to give him a wee bath to help when he sheds. I'm wondering if he's stressed or something? Though he never seems that bothered when you check up on him or take him out his viv. I've kept corn snakes for 6 years now and never come across a snake that sheds so much. Or even one so shy. Is this something that some snakes do or is there something wrong with him? He strike feeds fine and he's only missed one feed with me since I got him. Any ideas?

AliCat37
08-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Does he have any signs of a past injury? Sometimes they shed more often while trying to heal. Does he have scarring around his chin? That's my best guess as to what's going on. :shrugs:

MysticExotics
08-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Another possibility is mites. I believe they will shed frequently if they have mites. Look for tiny black bugs around his head, under his chin, & check his water dish as well. Often times they will soak alot, if there's a mite problem.

Stygian Faerie
08-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Come to think of it, he did have a scale missing on his back when I got him, do you think that all this shedding could be caused from that? I didn't even click to that as it was such a tiny thing.

I check them for mites every time I have them out, had a problem with them a few years ago and now I'm paranoid about them. Thankfully there are none at the moment.

Cheers for the input!

MotleyCrue
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
It's possible that this is the first time he's been fed properly. I don't know what rfuk is, so this is not meant to slight them in any way. I bought/adopted a skinny adult anery last year and he shed @5 times in 3 months. I also noticed my males seem to shed more often after mating season when they start eating again.
Just my .02
:eatsmiley

Stygian Faerie
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
RFUK is a reptile forum based in the UK.
He was quite over weight when I got him and I've managed to get him to lose some of that, still a wee bit to go but we're getting there. Do snakes shed more when they're getting thinner? I've never had to put a snake on a diet before lol.