PDA

View Full Version : What does your user name mean?

What does your user name mean?

Edmund
04-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I go by Edmund simply because it's my middle name. But there are some strange ones out there that I'd like to know what they mean.

Skye
04-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Skye is the name of my first, and in many ways my favourite dragon

http://clevinger.colorado.edu/peter/bearded_dragons/assets/Skye2.jpg

it also happens to be a Scottish Island. I have very fond memories of Scotland, not least because I met my husband there, got engaged to him, and even got married in a Scottish castle. It is a very beautiful country, and the Isle of Skye is a stunning place to visit. I have many memories of hiking and cycling in and across Scotland, and look forward to returning one day.

http://www.simpsonfineart.com/jamiepics/Blowy-Day,-The-Isle-Of-Skye.jpg

(This picture was done by a talented young Scottish artist Jamie Simpson.)

Skye

Drizzt80
04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Drizzt Do'Urden is a drow elf, underground, evil, dark elves, in the fantasy world created by R.A. Salvatore. Drizzt goes against his culture and ascends to the surface to fight the good fight. (Way too simple of an explanation to do it justice!) At the time I started using the internet, chat rooms, message boards, etc. Drizzt was a pretty common nickname, so I had to add the number 80. It comes from Cris Carter's jersey number, ex-wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings.

D80

stuart
04-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Stuart, my name.

StubbyUK
04-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Stubby is a nickname I got stuck with during my sporting days, and the UK is where I'm from :)

Stubby

Tim Madsen
04-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Tim = Short for Timothy which means honors God. Madsen = Danish, means Mads (a mans name) son.

Bibz
04-21-2004, 03:16 PM
(I speak french so the next names might sound a little weird)

Bibz is my nick name

since it's pretty uncommon i use it everywhere so i don't have to had a number. My nick name started as Bibi and then it was shortenend to Bibz and it stuck like that, i had it for almost 6 years now ...

Marcel Poots
04-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I refuse to use screennames. I have a hard time remembering each and every persons normal name let alone a nick name to go along with it ;)

Taceas
04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Unlike Marcel, I don't like my name well enough to use it for screen names. Besides that it's too long. Misty Dawn Lundberg? LoL =P

Taceas is a Latin derivative from the word "tacete" which basically tells a group to hush up, like a class full of students. =P

One day as a senior in Latin, I made the mistake of talking aloud in class. I was always the A-student, never got in trouble...except for that one day.

So the teacher yells at me: "Taceas!" Which essentially means, "You, shut-up!"

And ever since then, I've been Taceas. I use it on muds, chatrooms, IMs, and here. =)

Btw, it's pronounced Tac-kay-us

niki
04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
my user name is Niki because my name is niki (no big surprise i guess)

Ken Harbart
04-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Mine's fairly intuitive. It's just my name. When I do use a pseudonym, it's generally "najaboy."

"Naja", of course, is because I've kept various cobras throughout the years. The "boy" should beb self-explanatory.

Sparda
04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Sparda is from one of my favorite video games for the PS2. Devil May Cry. Sparda was the characters father who was a dark knight. Sparda also happens to be the name of my very first cornsnake.

leia
04-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Mine is my name.

Online, people don't beleive it very much because the name is usually spelled "Leah" ick I don't like that spelling. And plus in Star Wars, it is Princess Leia, but don't you dare pronounce my name like that!!!!!!!!! Hate that pronounciation. I also dislike Star Wars.

My parents were different and decided not to go with the regular spelling. My spelling came from some Jazz record, a song called "Leia's Song". My sister is named Robin, which is also fairly uncommon. But my brother has a super common name (Steve).

Weird parents.

CornCrazy
04-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Mine is self-explanatory...

Siva
04-21-2004, 10:07 PM
I chose mine b/c i love Mythology(epecially Indian/Hindu)-S(h)iva is the hindu destroyer god-and my first corn's name is Siva, even though she's female, b/c she was very fiesty when i got her and still is :D On the KS board my username is just amy-my name- and i wanted something more original...

Celestine8
04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
*twitches in response to the mention of Drizzt Do'Urden* I HATE Drizzt! lol My name was also taken from a fantasy novel ( yes, I'm a fantasy fanatic and a geek, whatever though) by Clive Barker called Imagica. Celestine was the name of the main character's mother, she went insane after an encounter Hepexemendios, aka God and was a very interesting character. 8 is my favourite number.

Amanda E
04-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Well obviously my screen name here is my first name and last name initial, but at some other places I go by colubridlady. I like other types of snakes, but by far my favorites are colubrids.

daveyboy
04-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Well here goes, my name is Paul so that doesn't fit. My normal screen name is Crossmen (I'm a Christian). So why Daveyboy, my son's name is David and the reptiles are his. I call him Daveyboy so it is a mixture of the two of us posting. Maybe someday I will create my own account but not today!
Peace
Paul

Simon
04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Simon = my name~
haha
simple enough~

eddie
04-22-2004, 06:57 PM
eddie...... well i hated being called edward it sounds way to formal.... so yah..

Rachel
04-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Rachel 'cause that's my name! It is hebrew for 'little lamb' and funnily enough my fiances name means 'big wolf'. Hmmmm......

joelzstuff
04-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Joelzstuff = Joel's stuff = My stuff

the "z" is just to be different. :D

Elaphe_Mo
04-23-2004, 08:26 AM
"Elaphe" well if you are on this forum you probably know that was the genus of corn snakes (and no, I'm not going to change my username to Pantherophis, it takes too long to type and I'm never sure if I spell it right).

"Mo" is my nickname

Nagah11979
04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Nagah - the name for the weresnakes from the "Werewolf: the Apocalypse" pen and paper role playing game.

1979 - My favorite smashing pumpkins song.

Chip
04-23-2004, 05:07 PM
There was an old security guard named Red who watched the parking lot of a place my buddy bartended. He was short, smelled bad, had a collostomy bag, and a speech impediment. The thing that REALLY started my fascination with him is that he was a habitual liar. Or just crazy, I'm not sure. According to him, he had guarded JFK, Bobby Kennedy, MLK, Larry Flint, and Reagan. You might have noticed all these people were shot! He must have been a jinx body guard! :roflmao:
So I was always excited to hear his tales of bravery when I'd stop in for a drink. He once told me he was on the undefeated '72 Dolphins squad. After getting to know him, I would always greet him by throwing out a rap lyric and substituting his name. Hence, he became "The Red." Well, I ran out of rhymes, and el rojo opened up another 1000 for me to throw at him.
I also lose so much money with Okeetee corns, that it has a double meaning. Always in "the red." So there you have it...

Darin Chappell
04-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Now see there ... I always assumed that your screen name was a tribute to the wonderfully red Mr. Butler!

Learn something new everyday!

Sasheena
04-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Mine is my name, again not very unique, in that it's the same as my real name.

The name is pronounced saSHEEnuh
(sa as in SADDLE, SHEE as in sheet, and nuh as in NUTS).... accent on all three syllables.

The story behind my name....

Well, for those who care, I'm not black. :)

My parents, in the 60's, came up on a great idea.... "let's have three kids. One of each gender, and one spare that we'll give a unique name to." This is a few years before crazy made up names became "in vogue". They knew they wanted to name their daughter "Tammy" and their son "Shannon" and their "Spare" would be something unique.

Took em two days to decide on the name, 9 months to decide on the spelling.

So I'm not a daughter or a son, I'm just a spare. :)

And for those who are REALLY curious, my heritage (like many Americans) is quite mixed. 1/4th Scot, 1/2 German, and 1/4 "mutt".

MegF.
04-23-2004, 08:12 PM
First name, and last name initial.

melodym30
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
melodym30 = My first name, last inital and my age
Ok, I really didn't put much thought into it, how do you go back and edit???

:cool:

Gorn
04-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Gorn dosn't mean anything special. I first started using it a few years ago when I was playing quake. Back then it sounded mean for a mean game. Now I also use Matz on internet cause my name is Mathieu.

babbaloo99
04-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Well, I am mexican and married my husband who is cuban. We always used to joke around that if we ever had boys they would be like little Ricky Ricardo's. Well, we now have two and I call them my little "babaloo's". Our first corn we just got several weeks ago is for them (but I am mostly enjoying owning the snake). Anyways, I use 99 because I use the screenname on other sites and my memory isn't what it used to be so I keep it pretty much the same so I don't have to recall too many usernames and passwords.:)

BiLL1024
04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
My name is Bill and 1024k bytes =1mb

Jimmy Johnson
04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
well,
My brother, his wife, some friends and I used to play D&D.
And no we aren't devil worshippers.
We had an adventuring group that lasted five years before our schedules caused our game to break up.
I used to manage two characters.
Hawk a barbarian and Draybar a half elven ranger. I always liked the name Draybar so I decided to use it as my screen name.
Too many Jimmy Johnsons out there...lol

Quigs
04-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, Jimmy. But it looks like your screen name is in fact "Jimmy Johnson"! At least on my screen it is!

:shrugs:

Quigs

Quigs
04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Figured while I was at it...

My last name is Quigley.
Hence "Quigs"...I go by it in real life as well as all over the net. Started way back when I played little league ball and just stuck! I'm not so fond of my real first name.

I just noticed that the original question was "What does your user name mean?"

That was the origin of my nick name.

Quigley is an Irish name and originally it was O'Cogleigh back in the 1600's or something. Means 'bearing of untidy hair'

:nyah:

Quigs

MegF.
04-26-2004, 10:23 PM
So, is your hair untidy????

CornCrazy
04-26-2004, 11:10 PM
I was wondering the same thing...
LOL!!:roflmao:

Marcel Poots
04-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Quigs
I hate to burst your bubble, Jimmy. But it looks like your screen name is in fact "Jimmy Johnson"! At least on my screen it is!

:shrugs:

Quigs

LOL.. I am laughing so loud my face is wet.. Jimmy uses Draybar on Kingsnake though.. ;)

Quigs
04-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I know he uses Draybar other places. I was just bustin his chops! :D

I suppose my hair might be untidy if I didn't shave it all off on a regular basis! :eek:

Quigs

:sidestep:

Chip
04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I thought for sure you were the former college and NFL football coach. I mean, there can't be more than one in Florida!? So much for my Okeetees for Superbowl tickets idea!:cry:

Celestine8
04-27-2004, 05:56 PM
lol, had a few encounters with 'those people' Jimmy?! I play D&D with a group of friends and have been for one 1 year. I also play Vampire the Masquerade, but not the live action version. I've had players who couldn't tell their families and been accused of devil worship as well, but if you explain it properly, for the most part they can ignore you or even accept it... I actually was able to play at a Christian summer camp I was working at. But as a 19 year old chick, over the net, I get stupid statements and questions like, "You must be ugly and fat", "you must be gay", "grow up" lol. It's a riot.

Jimmy Johnson
04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
People used to ask me stuff like "Do you pray to different gods?"
"How often do you have to summon the devil?"
"do you ever get confused and think the game is real?"
and these are all questions from supposedly intellegent adults!
and there are many more just as stupid.
You know, as far as I know, I never committed murder or suicide so I guess I just didn't play the game right....LOL
You know the funny part?
I get almost the same kind of looks of fear and loathing when people find out I keep and breed snakes.
My favorite..."You keep snakes in your house? Eww, I'll never step foot in there."
I always answer the same..."Don't worry, I'd never invite you anyway"...LOL

Jimmy Johnson
04-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Wow, do I feel stupid!! LOL
I go as Draybar on every other forum I am on and my email addy uses Draybar. I forgot that I actually use my name here.
DOH!

Sorry elrojo.....no tickets from me...unless I hit the lotto...then I will take you and your Okeetees to the super bowl.

It's easy to offer 'cause I know I'll never win....LOL

Chip
04-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Jennifer Lopez's mom just hit a million plus jackpot, so why not you? Just in case, I'll bookmark this page!!! ;)

Celestine8
04-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, that really sucks. *grumbles about lottery*
My personal favourite question is still:
" How do you cast your spells?"

elaphe4herps
04-29-2004, 04:07 PM
On the topic of fantasy and D&D, I too play (or used to) play AD&D. I haven't played in a while because there aren't too many groups around my area. So i have just been concentrating on school, lacrosse, and my snakes. My screenname, btw, is pretty much easy to understand: i keep herps of all kinds, but snakewise, i keep elaphe. therefore elaphe 4 herps (although i do keep other species of snake too).

I always have trouble explaining to people that with fantasy RPG's, all the action takes place in your mind and on paper. NO GRAPHICS! Just paper.

:bowdown:

drizzt_19
04-30-2004, 03:01 PM
The reason I use drizzt is because he was considered different due to his purple eyes and also because he had to go through so many trials and yet he still came out winning...Another reason I use it is because very few characters in the fantasy realm seemed so much like me....

oh almost forgot, it's easier to type drizzt then it is Milo Morai, an immortal from the horseclans novels....Sorry I can't remember who wrote those books...

Kat
04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Hehe... I do some rpg stuff as well... some D&D and Cyberpunk, but mostly WitchCraft thusfar. (Actually, I used to do alot of online text-based RPGs, but my interest in those has waned.) I get odd looks from the other players when I mention I keep snakes... and even odder looks when I mention just how many I have...

I guess everybody has their concept of what is 'normal', and if you don't fit it, they are uncomfortable with you. Oh well.

And Kat is short for Kathryn.

-Kat

Skye
04-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I've never done the paper role-playing games, but used to spend too much of my life playing the PC RPG. Great Fun.

Skye

Neumann
04-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Skye
I've never done the paper role-playing games.

Skye,

I'm going to take a moment here to date myself. I played D&D back in the late 70's. It was the original game by Gary Gygax, who is actually responsible for the whole concept of R.P.G.

I still have the set and it's in amazing condition. The interesting thing to me is that there really weren't any rules in the original game. The books were designed as a guideline for people to create their own original adventures. Everything from designing your own monsters right down to the methods used to resolve conflicts in battle. The last time I looked at D&D it was AD&D (sometime in the 90's) and I couldn't believe how tightly written the rules had become. I spent hours as a kid planning and playing the game. This thread really takes me back in time.

Okay, now you all know I'm an old man.... (grin).

Cheers,
Jason

Chip
04-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Just kidding! I played once or twice in 9th grade, but the kids that were into it took it way too seriously and seemed to stay mad at each other in real life! :argue:

Skye
04-30-2004, 05:38 PM
elrojo - that is so true - no, not the bit about the weirdos!, but the fact that they couldn't seem to step out of character once they stopped playing. I had friends that played the paper D & D at school, but I wasn't sufficiently tempted to join in in those days.

And I'm not so young myself,
Skye

Celestine8
04-30-2004, 06:15 PM
lol wow this got pretty off topic.... Went from what does your name mean to RPGs... lol :) Yeah, some people have problems with stepping out and realizing that the game isn't about one-upping someone who they have a strained relationship with in real life and that, well... IT'S A GAME! It's supposed to be fun and it's just acting.

Chip
04-30-2004, 08:10 PM
This seems to happen with every thread I get involved with, But this time, it WAS NOT MY FAULT! I do believe it's time for you guys to do a poll regarding who ever has, never has, or does regularly. At least I didn't steer it into the direction of sports, sex, or gender politics! :)

Rachel
04-30-2004, 10:47 PM
hmmm dunno if it's the same same thing but my fiance used to play 'daughter of twilight' and was a role play brujah called 'mr pink'. I used to play too but was more into the getting bitten side of things erm... ;)

Celestine8
05-01-2004, 09:25 AM
LMAO... Back to names then.

Celestine8
05-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Okay, will do, but I need to know how to post a poll. :rolleyes:

Chip
05-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Start a new thread, and there is an option for it. Rich makes it easy. I'm not a gamer (except for role playing like "escaped convict/warden's wife" or "foreign school girl/corrupt immigration officer") myself, so it makes more sense for someone else to do it.

PS, Please don't ever take me too seroiusly unless I'm ranting about locality. Thank You.

aNi-DiFrAnCo
05-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I LOVE Ani DiFranco..in case you couldn't guess. If you don't know who she is here is a pic and some links http://www.onherown.net

Spitfire
05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Spitfire - it was my first snake's name.

ronlina
05-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Well my real 'american' name is Natalie, and my family (and friends used to) all call me Natalina. So naturally the nickname Lina came along and stuck. Then one day, with some friends, we were making 'codenames' (we were 11, give us a break) because one of our friends liked a boy (his code name was "rubber duck", why - hell if i know.) and we didn't want anyone finding out who the hell we were talking about. Mine was "veronica", for some reason.

Since I only had these two friends for the majority of this time span, i eventually also gathered the false name as a nick name, too, Ronnie, short for veronica. So when I first started going on forums I combined the two nicknames, thus Ronlina. Well, I don't even hang around with those old buddies but since I have so many places where I use that screen name, I've just kept it.

Yeah, long story. BUt you must admit, "rubber duck" is an interesting name to give a boy you fancy..

anny
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ronlina
Then one day, with some friends, we were making 'codenames' (we were 11, give us a break) because one of our friends liked a boy (his code name was "rubber duck", why - hell if i know.) and we didn't want anyone finding out who the hell we were talking about.

When I was in third grade, my friends and I used to do that too... Such funny memories. I'll never understand the elementary school mind...

I'm Anny because in 8th grade a bunch of girls went through the phase of changing y's to i's and such (Ashley to Ashli; Britney to Brytney; Lindsey to Lyndsi). A friend of mine decided it'd be funny if she changed my name to Anny instead of Anne/Annie. She changed my name on all my papers and in all my text books. Most of the time "Annie" is taken on forums so I just revert to Anny.

Arson
05-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I chose Arson because that's a common name I use when gaming online. I do have a fascination with fire, but not an obsession. I certainly don't commit any crimes (with fire or otherwise). I chose to use it here so I wouldn't have to remember a new forum name. :)

rouge
05-10-2004, 06:46 PM
my snake is a red an d white albino....and im studying french so i called him rouge....french for red

ossBASHA
07-23-2004, 02:25 AM
My name is: Mohamed OSAMA Ahmed Fouad
and I go my OSAMA and my friends call me OSS
BASHA: is an arabic work meaning "a person with a high rank" (my own def.) :)

Krenna
07-24-2004, 11:24 AM
I came up with my handle in 1998, I changed the spelling from my daughter's name Brenna, to Krenna. I then started using the name for alot of MMORPGS. I just keep the handle Krenna for all of my characters that I play online.

Matter fact I was even thinking of trademarking my handle because I have had it so long. :P