PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Help?

Feeding Help?

recluse-riolu
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a 7 month old male. I feed him every Sunday, and he eats one pinkie (not live) The past few times I have fed him he acts as if he is STARVING! He devours the mouse as soon as I drop it in there. I know that a juvenile eats more than an adult, and I'm worried that once a week isn't enough for him. Should I up his feeding to every five days opposed to every seven? Will this make him grow quicker? Is it safe and healthy for him? What's my best option? I just want a healthy happy boy. This is him below when I last fed him.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1342&pictureid=10142

recluse-riolu
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1342&pictureid=10142

Mikesnakeares
08-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Mine is 7 months old and looks just like yours and I'm about to switch mine to one fuzzy every 7 days

grankin01
08-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I feed my babies every 5 to 7 days. You will be fine feeding him the way you are. :)

As a guide, however, you could get a kitchen scale (which is a nice thing to have anyway) and use the munson plan. It is a great guideline that shows you how often, how much, and size of prey to feed based on your baby's weight.

AliCat37
08-23-2011, 12:29 AM
I also feed my babies once every 7 days. As long as they have a lump in their bellies for about 36 hours or so I think they're fine on that schedule. The munson plan is talked about lots here, and I am sure that it is a great way to feed your corns. It's probably better than my way of "is there a lump?" method haha. Though none of my critters are any worse for the wear 0.0

roadtowhere
08-23-2011, 06:53 PM
I feed my 8 wk old Okeetee every 5 to 7 days. I bring the pink into a plastic shoebox with the long tweezers and he hits it right away like he is starved.

recluse-riolu
08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
the munson plan sounds great :) lol glad to know that I'm not starving my baby >< thanks all :D

Christen
08-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Fellow Arizonian. I feed every 7 days too. Just because I would forget when to feed who and then nobody will get fed.

And the scale, grankin01 is right best purchase I have every made. I weight my snakes, my food and my mail. I just bought a cheap one from walmart.

recluse-riolu
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Awesome thanks :)

recluse-riolu
08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I believe I am going to buy myself one of these handy scales :)

Sinisterrodents
08-24-2011, 06:56 PM
You may hear me complain about folks that have a schedule they feed their snakes on. Once a week or once every 4 days or 10 days. I am not going to tell you that a this is wrong but I will say that this is YOUR schedule and not the snake's. If you learn to let your snakes tell you when they are hungry you will find yourself having to feed growing snakes two and three times a week. You will also see an adult snake only wanting to eat once or twice a week....sometimes less.

With all that being said prey size should be about the diameter of the snake's girth. Many think offering many smaller prey items is better than offering one large prey item. I offer my snakes multiple prey items usually around 2 or 3 when they are hungry. These prey items are the same size or larger than the girth of the snake. If they eat all of them and the husbandry is correct they will not regurge.....When a kingsnake regurges there is something wrong with your husbandry or the snake is ill.

There are times you will see your snakes wanting to eat more than usual.
Females out of brumation will need to be fed multiple prey items very often......High caloric intake yields egg follicles. After a female has laid eggs many meals as soon as possible will result in a second clutch....Some female will even triple clutch with this feeding regimen.

Prior to brumation the males should be fed enough so that they can go an entire 3 months of brumation plus two months of breeding season without eating. Many males will go off feed when they are in breeding "mode." Don't let this alarm you. If the male snake has good weight prior to brumation he will be fine. After breeding you will see him want to eat lots and often to gear up for another cold season. Remember all this can be achieved successfully if husbandry is correct.

Christen
08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Corn snakes are opportunistic eaters so of course they maybe looking for a meal 2-3 times a week however I do not feel that this is safe to do. Feeding 3 times a week is bordering on power feeding and it is shown that snakes that are power feed live shorter unhealthier lives.

I would just continue doing what you are doing and bump up to fuzzies if he is ready. Which I would imagine if he is not, he will be soon.